Polski Baltic Porter

Banjo

Just curious if anyone might have brewed the Polski Baltic Porter?

Mine took nearly 17 days of fermentation followed by 4 days cold crashing before I bottled it.  I don't plan on trying any of them until the colder months but wanted to know what other people thought of it.  The small amount that I tested before bottling was quite nice, VERY strong!

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty keen to give that one a go myself so feel free to try one before winter and let us know?? :-)

I'm a real sucker for dark, complex and strong beers.

How many bottles and of what size did you fill out of your batch?  I saw that they are suggesting 9l of water only because of the number of additives.

That seemed a little odd because there was I recall a similar number of additives in the mountain IPA that I made and it still called for 10 litres of water.

Don

• 1 month later...

Well I tried one the other night, it poured from the bottle very nicely and had a perfect fine bead on the head which stuck around for almost the whole glass.  It is a smooth drop which you don't really want to drink too fast, I think I spent about 30 - 40 minutes to drink the pint.  The alcohol content wasn't quite as noticeable as I thought it would be, but it is noticeable.  My wife noticed it more than I did.

I will probably try one more before winter in another couple of weeks - will take a photo then and share.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I bottled my first batch on March 20.

Unfortunately, one of the bottles decided to crack at the base but under my house smells nice.

Again, I tasted one at 2 weeks and should not have.  It was still "green", a little bit of a raw taste to it but a strong alcohol aftertaste.  I'm trying to stay away from it for another few weeks.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I just finished kegging my first attempt at this brew. It has a bit of a banana aroma to it after EOF at 20 days, so I cold crashed it for about 5 days. Then I had to go out of town on business, so I left it on storage mode until day 43. It tastes good and I'm pretty sure the alcohol content is way over 8.5% now, but I like Imperials at like 10% so I don't mind that at all. One thing that did happen is that even though I opened the top and vented it right before kegging, the first keg I filled built up some kind of overpressure and started peeing around the connector at the top, spilling beer in the container external to the bag. I thought maybe I didn't have it threaded right so I was extra careful for the second keg; it started doing the same thing but I stopped it before. I had about 12oz of beer left in the droid which I promptly sampled, of course. 

Does this happen or am I somehow missing an O-ring or something between the keg liner and the fill cap? I figured it just was very carbonated (even though it doesn't quite taste like it) and built up a bunch of extra gas that screwed up my kegging process. I tried to vent the second one halfway through but I don't think either keg is completely filled.

I'm about to toss another one and I'll buy some new brewprints and a couple additional keg housings so I can keep my BeerFlo in constant action. Looking forward to trying that out.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Bert said:

Just put my first Baltic Porter into the droid today. I’ll be bottling mine and seems like it’s best consumed minimum 6 weeks. Any other info i should be aware of with this brew?

6 weeks will be a good start.  Make sure you have a towel or something on the left hand side of the unit as it is very likely to overflow. (normal for this brew) and try to clean up whilst the krausen is still moist (easier)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/07/2020 at 10:22 PM, Barrelboy said:

Looks good Bert. What’s brewing now?

I’ve just bottled the West Coast Pale last night. 
Regarding the Highlands IPA , I’m having a glass now after 3 weeks and defiantly needs longer. Great head but it’s tasting like that typical home brew taste. 
Might need to wait another few weeks.

30 minutes ago, Bert said:

I’ve just bottled the West Coast Pale last night. 
Regarding the Highlands IPA , I’m having a glass now after 3 weeks and defiantly needs longer. Great head but it’s tasting like that typical home brew taste. 
Might need to wait another few weeks.

Interesting, in your terms what is “the home brew taste”  I ask this because people have different interpretations.

I just find is has no distinct flavour, very bland and reminds me what i have tried from home brews many years ago. I’m hoping the flavours will improve over time as i love my craft beers, especially the fruity ones.

12 minutes ago, Bert said:

Hi again Barrelboy. Out of interest do you add dry hops to most of your brews rather than the liquid hops provided in the brew print?

Yes. To be honest I keep 2 x each H liquid hop sachets in case I run out of the hop pellets needed or miss predicting the end of fermentation but doesn’t happen often.

I like the pellets as imo they provide a more intense flavour and you can increase or reduce the amount to suit. In general  I dry hop with 20g.