Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone

I'd like to try the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone on Shem's cheat sheet:

Seirra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA 2 x E1, 2 x E2, 3 x E5, 2 x H2, Y1, DH       9-12 Days Ale $118.00 $35.50 $82.50 DH: Magnum 15gm, Crystal 15gm, Citra 15gm

I've got the Brewart bits but yet to source the dry hops.

Does anybody have any idea about temperatures & dry hopping timing for this?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcm said:

I'd like to try the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone on Shem's cheat sheet:

Seirra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA 2 x E1, 2 x E2, 3 x E5, 2 x H2, Y1, DH       9-12 Days Ale $118.00 $35.50 $82.50 DH: Magnum 15gm, Crystal 15gm, Citra 15gm

I've got the Brewart bits but yet to source the dry hops.

Does anybody have any idea about temperatures & dry hopping timing for this?

Hi DCM, you need to set this one on the Ale mode for the temperature and I’d dry hop at 8 days. You could wait to EOF and leave 24/48hrs. Be prepared for strong fermentation activity therefore probable overflow.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi DCM, you need to set this one on the Ale mode for the temperature and I’d dry hop at 8 days. You could wait to EOF and leave 24/48hrs. Be prepared for strong fermentation activity therefore probable overflow.

Cheers

No, don’t cold crash at EOF as this will minimise the effect of the hops, leave in the storage mode, you will have up to 48hrs before it automatically goes to cold storage. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Gday gents,

Is there a way i can buy these ingredients from a brew shop in larger quantities for multiple brews?  If so could someone give me an idea of what the inredients could be in other brands. Like to see if i could go to Daves Homebrew and elimenate shipping and see if price could be cheaper. 2 sets of ingredients with shipping $90 not including dry hops. 

Thanks.

Edited by Lenny Nobili

31 minutes ago, Lenny Nobili said:

Gday gents,

Is there a way i can buy these ingredients from a brew shop in larger quantities for multiple brews?  If so could someone give me an idea of what the inredients could be in other brands. Like to see if i could go to Daves Homebrew and elimenate shipping and see if price could be cheaper. 2 sets of ingredients with shipping $90 not including dry hops. 

Thanks.

Hi Lenny and welcome to your first post. You can certainly by ingredients in both kit form or as an all grain brew. Recipes vary so to be honest you would be best going to your local brew shop (Dave’s Homebrew) and discuss the recipe with them. 

• 1 month later...
On 27/08/2021 at 11:16 AM, Dustin Frothman said:

The spreadsheet says 15g each of Magnum, Crystal and Citra and then 2 x H2 at bottling or kegging.

It doesn't seem enough really. Perhaps 25g of each pellet hop and then the hop oils.

Would agree I’m regularly adding total hops of 50-150g and have only been disappointed once when I overdid it with 200g of a mad mix of hops.   

haven’t yet tried both extract and DH.  Curious to know peoples results.  

On 16/07/2021 at 5:42 AM, Lenny Nobili said:

Gday gents,

Thanks.

All permutations possible.  
honestly I really like the BrewArt dry ingredients in terms of ease and convenience and swappability (word?). I find the syrups a bit tricky to split and more of a hassle.   

i do buy locally sourced hops as I like to mix and match varieties and find I’m adding double and sometimes 4x the hops provided in the brew prints.   The results have been akin to Some of the premium craft beers on the market.  

I have also concluded that the prints are very carefully designed and really hard to beat.   

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kegged this one today after 19 days total. Smelled great. I'm looking forward to this. As per the recipe I added 1 x H1 pouch to each of the kegs.

The Dry Hop program was complete in just over 10 days. I added the my usual 48 hours at 18 degrees for foam mitigation but got busy with work and a few things other things so left it to sit in storage for a while. 

I also tried the Bouncer insert for the first time in the Brewart Dry Hop Filter assembly. I chose the second finest grade filter (blue colour) which is a slightly finer gauge to the supplied insert. It worked perfectly and didn't clog at all. Of course the extra time in storage would've helped to clear up the beer too. 

I'll report back after this has completed 6 weeks in secondary.

I'm not ready to put another brew on tonight so decided to give the Droid a good soak with a Brewart Droid Cleanse tablet that I had amongst my supplies.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hey Dustin

How does it compare to the pirate life IPA clone?

It's been a little while since I've brewed that one. I think though it's probably a little danker with the addition of the Crystal hops.

I've got the ingredients ready to do another of these as well as the Pirate Life IPA clone so perhaps I can give you a side by side comparison next time.

• 3 weeks later...