Why Can I not Drink in Pubs Anymore

Now this is nothing to do with being a stingy bastard, it just the brain. 
Went down the local today, haven’t been for a long time. Now I had 3 Coopers XPA’s in South Australian pints (425ml) at $7.80 a pint, $23.40 total. Now it was a nice drop, yes. Better that BrewArt ingredients? No, very comparable.

Now using BrewArt ingredients 10l = $26.50, with 23pints x 425ml pints = $1.15 a pint.

Conclusion:-

BrewArt Coopers XPA, 23 pints,  $26.50

Pub 23 pints x $7.80, $179.80

Saving on a 10l brew $153.30

You have to admit when you do this it’s quite a shock. The social aspect of a pub has value but for us home brewers at what cost?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

You have to admit when you do this it’s quite a shock. The social aspect of a pub has value but for us home brewers at what cost?

My marriage.

I'm a coffee nerd too and have a reasonably fancy setup at home. When I got back into brewing last year the first thing my wife said was "so does this mean we're not going out for coffee or beers anymore?"

I love the pub but yeah it's expensive.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

My marriage.

I'm a coffee nerd too and have a reasonably fancy setup at home. When I got back into brewing last year the first thing my wife said was "so does this mean we're not going out for coffee or beers anymore?"

I love the pub but yeah it's expensive.

I also loved the pub, brought up that way but sadly (IMO) it’s all changed, particularly in the outer suburbs. Due to cost, drink driving, anti smoking, the pub focus on pokies,  the great after work sessions are gone, many pubs sadly no longer have social clubs. 
When local pubs (virus stuffed it up) have bands back on and are usually free to enjoy, then the brain can except the cost of the beer due to the free entertainment. I think?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I also loved the pub, brought up that way but sadly (IMO) it’s all changed, particularly in the outer suburbs. Due to cost, drink driving, anti smoking, the pub focus on pokies,  the great after work sessions are gone, many pubs sadly no longer have social clubs. 
When local pubs (virus stuffed it up) have bands back on and are usually free to enjoy, then the brain can except the cost of the beer due to the free entertainment. I think?

Yes all valid points sadly.

I try to only frequent pubs without pokies (quite difficult to do in Adelaide) and as I'm fortunate to live in the inner burbs most of the good pubs are quite close so they are only a walk, tram, train, push bike or short cab / uber away.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I try to only frequent pubs without pokies (quite difficult to do in Adelaide) and as I'm fortunate to live in the inner burbs most of the good pubs are quite close so they are only a walk, tram, train, push bike or short cab / uber away.

As Monty Python would say “you lucky bastard” Inner city/near suburbs living people are better off in terms of transport/ social/eating/drinking ect as it should be. However in outer suburbs we battle on. I’m not complaining but getting around is real bhard and taxi costs cost just stupid.

• Upvote 1

My biggest sticking point is the quality of the food served up in pubs. Granted, when I lived in Adelaide, I was spoilt for choice because at least 1 in every five pubs had a killer chef on hand, now where I live, I'd rather eat my own food. I can still remember the sports bar at the Norwood hotel would do weekday afternoon steak sangas with bacon that you knew needed at least 4 pints before being tackled...and you would be as sober as a judge when you finished it.

Of course, given there are now 2 pubs doing Pacific pale...at least if I order a beer I can have a nice one

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Yep, spent all of my late teens/20s living close to the city, the furthest out I got was Goodwood...and that had the tram spot 500 metres away. Of course, to sound like a Boomer...back in those days, the pubs had bands 3 or 4 nights a week and your mates were in bands, so the social side was immense.

As to pokies...I will never understand the attraction , if you want jingly electronic music and bright colured lights, get a Nintendo. Interestingly, I was reading a story in the ABC today where a worker (admin clerk) stole 3.7 mil from her employer over 15 ish years and put it all through the pokies at two leagues clubs and now her employer wants that money back from the leagues club, given the money was stolen...I hope he wins

3 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Conclusion:-

BrewArt Coopers XPA, 23 pints,  $26.50

Pub 23 pints x $7.80, $179.80

Saving on a 10l brew $153.30

It's really bad to be honest, I mean if they did discounted food you could at least think you got some benefit for that outlay. I had the opportunity to walk into Dans to get a bottle of wine for a recipe and they had a thing on XPA, 2 sixer for $44..12 cans V what I could brew basically 20 litres for

• Upvote 1

My farm is 30 km from the nearest pub. Rather drink at home. I can Weber or smoke something to eat. Better than you will get in your local bogan pub. I love a genuine country or outback pub. When we travel we like to support local community. So will have a had beer and meal to help out. As long as there is a red on the rack IMG_20210116_193748806.thumb.jpg.26ad6ae51ecef02d55a65a72fdd20c67.jpg

Plus I have a better view.

IMG_20200830_171859894.jpg

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

My farm is 30 km from the nearest pub. Rather drink at home. I can Weber or smoke something to eat. Better than you will get in your local bogan pub. I love a genuine country or outback pub. When we travel we like to support local community. So will have a had beer and meal to help out. As long as there is a red on the rack IMG_20210116_193748806.thumb.jpg.26ad6ae51ecef02d55a65a72fdd20c67.jpg

Very nice, Vic country side?

Agreed fellas.  Own coffee better than cafe.  Own beer better and more satisfying than pup.  Own ding snags and sourdough and the Mrs is wicked in the kitchen.   We have a lot of Bogan Pubs crawling with methies and idiots looking for a scrap.   

best at home with a game of darts or finnska with some neighborhood friends.   We can hear each other speak and enjoy the best damn home brews possible.   

i will admit I’ve been foraging into the extremely expensive lambica Geuzes and such from a local bottle shop and learning lots in the process but can’t comprehend the cost of these extreme brews.  Still rather drink and make my own concoctions.  

what a great product to stimulate a home hobby and shared passion among mates.  

have any of you considered a Beerdroid Zoom “virtual pub” meeting?   That could get waaaay out of hand!  🎯

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I still enjoy a quiet beer every now and again at a pub . But prefer a beer garden then the front bar at the moment . Downside is Hedland has none of that lol . Only 1 place is nice to sit and thats a hotel not a pub. We dont have the pokie dillema though 🤣 . @Robert Pretty pretty jealous of the view mate 🤘

19 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

No New South Wales born and bred. My farm is in the Hunter Valley. I have travelled all over this country , and Victoria has the least to offer. Accept for the high country. Sorry Rob

Anywhere along the Great Ocean Road and the Otways in Vic is pretty special

• Upvote 1

Hi 

It was just a gee up. I didn't mean to afend my my Victorian brewartists.

The great ocean road, ottways, Grampians, Dandelong ranges, Sale, all great places I have visited.  Jan 20 I sent a week travelling and camping  along the Victorian side of the Murray from Wodonga , Yarrawonga, Echua, And Robinvale, Mildura thru to Remmark SA.

Accept my apologies. No harm intended 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi 

The great ocean road, ottways, Grampians, Dandelong ranges, Sale, all great places I have visited.  Jan 20 I sent a week travelling and camping  along the Victorian side of the Murray from Wodonga , Yarrawonga, Echua, And Robinvale, Mildura thru to Remmark SA.

You haven’t offended, no worries here

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi 

You definitely haven't offended. I agree your part of the world is pretty special.

5 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Anywhere along the Great Ocean Road and the Otways in Vic is pretty special

Alright since we are going geographical. Ya haven’t lived until ya’ve GROPED SAND!! Hey Pauli?

just sayin’

image.png.9d67ea2eac4baaf441b8943ef76a05a4.png

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Forest in the Otways have a great boutique brewery with a fantastic range of brews in a terrific location.

https://forrestbrewing.com.au/

Looking at the menu and the first thing I'd ask my food server is "how many Boa Buns can I get for $50?" and when they tried to give me a number I'd say "I don't care, just make it happen"

8 stubbies, $50 of Boa buns...I'd be in a great place

• 1 year later...
On 07/04/2021 at 5:11 AM, Robert Pretty said:

Love your view, Rob. I thought I'd share my own. Wife and I are empty-nesters living on our own little piece of the planet in central Wisconsin, USA. I few years ago, we built this second-story deck on the back of the house, so we could enjoy our view while sharing a pint or 4. 

IMG_2539.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

On 28/01/2023 at 4:22 AM, Steve Gyldenvand said:

Love your view, Rob. I thought I'd share my own. Wife and I are empty-nesters living on our own little piece of the planet in central Wisconsin, USA. I few years ago, we built this second-story deck on the back of the house, so we could enjoy our view while sharing a pint or 4. 

IMG_2539.jpeg

@Steve Gyldenvand, that's not a bad view either. Nothing like a home brew and a view.

• Like 2