Secondary Fermentation/Kegging help!

T D

32 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

No you can’t.

I posed this question to J P earlier:

So can you naturally carbonate with primer and seal the keg with the screw in growler type closure, stack, and then when ready to dispense connect the spear and hook up to your gas bottle?

And/or can you force carbonate, disconnect the spear and seal with the screw in cap until you're ready to serve?

I’ll chime in here. 

I ended up going with the mini keg system for two reasons. 
1.  Fear of big 20L systems and not having a proper keg fridge at the time it all seemed over the top.  

2.  Had already bought (now in retrospect an impulse purchase) a 5L mini keg which made transport of my brews to the beach etc easier in theory.  In practice I haven’t used that option too much honestly, but it inspired me to purchase further mini kegs.  

im happy with the triple Js.  They’re budget friendly and not sure any less quality.   There are distinct disadvantages to the mini kegs (hard to clean) but also like the 10L and 5L options for a balance of variety and steady supply of favourites (lawn mower, big IPA’s, raspberry sours)

I use 4 spears to match 4 taps and can get away with using growler caps for secondary fermentation and storage before spearing.   They’re pricey enough to discourage having a spear for every keg, though I can’t imagine a downside if you’re ok to spend the cash.  

I also went with a sofa stream reg system that doubles as a portable reg which could allow for an tiredly portable mini keg system with unlimited CO2 supply that can fit in an esky, etc.   again felt this option was cheaper and refilling soda stream bottles so easy (and 24/7 avail nearly) where I live.  

I could easily see the appeal if you’re doing it once and doing it right that you’d consider the corny kegs option with a proper reg and CO2 tank provided you’ve got easy access to refilling CO2. 

will say I am overall happy with the budget mini keg system in addition to the Brewart kegs (despite the problems, they’re still amazing in backing failures and advising on the learning curve)

devils advocate would easily argue for a state of the art corny keg system.  

as I’m typing this I also remember being particularly happy with keg systems in 5L and 10L capacity to easily mix and match with the droid output as anything bigger mandates running simultaneously two droids to fill the larger kegs (not necessary a downside) 

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, J P said:

I’ll chime in here. 

I ended up going with the mini keg system for two reasons. 
1.  Fear of big 20L systems and not having a proper keg fridge at the time it all seemed over the top.  

2.  Had already bought (now in retrospect an impulse purchase) a 5L mini keg which made transport of my brews to the beach etc easier in theory.  In practice I haven’t used that option too much honestly, but it inspired me to purchase further mini kegs.  

im happy with the triple Js.  They’re budget friendly and not sure any less quality.   There are distinct disadvantages to the mini kegs (hard to clean) but also like the 10L and 5L options for a balance of variety and steady supply of favourites (lawn mower, big IPA’s, raspberry sours)

I use 4 spears to match 4 taps and can get away with using growler caps for secondary fermentation and storage before spearing.   They’re pricey enough to discourage having a spear for every keg, though I can’t imagine a downside if you’re ok to spend the cash.  

I also went with a sofa stream reg system that doubles as a portable reg which could allow for an tiredly portable mini keg system with unlimited CO2 supply that can fit in an esky, etc.   again felt this option was cheaper and refilling soda stream bottles so easy (and 24/7 avail nearly) where I live.  

I could easily see the appeal if you’re doing it once and doing it right that you’d consider the corny kegs option with a proper reg and CO2 tank provided you’ve got easy access to refilling CO2. 

will say I am overall happy with the budget mini keg system in addition to the Brewart kegs (despite the problems, they’re still amazing in backing failures and advising on the learning curve)

devils advocate would easily argue for a state of the art corny keg system.  

as I’m typing this I also remember being particularly happy with keg systems in 5L and 10L capacity to easily mix and match with the droid output as anything bigger mandates running simultaneously two droids to fill the larger kegs (not necessary a downside) 

Brilliant @J P thanks for the insights.

I hadn't considered the mini kegs to be inferior but I can see how ease of cleaning with the Corney keg and as @Captain 3 Droids  also mentioned the ease of servicing/replacement parts would make them quite appealing.

I've mentioned before that not many home brewers are aware that the bag in a plastic keg design is used commercially - i.e. https://www.keykeg.com and it's only when you consider the pros and cons of all the possible kegging combinations that you realise how carefully considered the Brewflo system is.

Other than the occasional teething issues and lack of a multi-tap dispenser it's still quite the clever package.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

This thread is really good, so much info

I'm probably talking to myself here, but for anyone that is interested this is probably the simplest and most thorough description of the components and processes of kegging with Corny style kegs that I've seen so far:

https://www.beveragecraft.com/blog/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-cornelius-corny-kegs-for-homebrewing/

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I'm probably talking to myself here, but for anyone that is interested this is probably the simplest and most thorough description of the components and processes of kegging with Corny style kegs that I've seen so far:

https://www.beveragecraft.com/blog/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-cornelius-corny-kegs-for-homebrewing/

Excellent'

Sorry just wanting to go back to the original question.

just want to make sure I don’t bugger 5L of beer.

so I have bottled half with the sugar drops no problems.

the keg is my concern now.

I have sanitised it and purged out with Co2 to ensure it’s clean.

then connected the droid to it and emptied into the keg no dramas.

now what is my next step? Do I re introduce Co2 (beer is at storage temp) and up the pressure.

or do I leave it until about a week before I’m ready, up to 10-12 PSI and fridge it before dropping the pressure and drinking when I’m ready?

6 minutes ago, T D said:

now what is my next step? Do I re introduce Co2 (beer is at storage temp) and up the pressure.

or do I leave it until about a week before I’m ready, up to 10-12 PSI and fridge it before dropping the pressure and drinking when I’m ready?

I purge the filled kegs at 30psi and store at room ambient temperature. (You can purge with less pressure if using mini regs with bulbs or soda stream bottles.)

when ready for the fridge release most of the pressure and attach co2 at dispensing pressure.

4 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I purge the filled kegs at 30psi and store at room ambient temperature. (You can purge with less pressure if using mini regs with bulbs or soda stream bottles.)

when ready for the fridge release most of the pressure and attach co2 at dispensing pressure.

I’d say there is very minimal pressure at the moment, if I try and release not much comes out.

Am I right just to leave it? I know I can’t add Co2 if it’s room temp only when it’s cold, 

I’m worried I’ll waste a whole keg now 

1 minute ago, T D said:

I’d say there is very minimal pressure at the moment, if I try and release not much comes out.

Am I right just to leave it? I know I can’t add Co2 if it’s room temp only when it’s cold, 

I’m worried I’ll waste a whole keg now 

You can add Co2 at room temperature for purging purposes however if you purged it when you filled the keg then leave it. If you didn’t purge the majority of oxygen out of the keg when filled then do it now.

Just now, Captain 3 Droids said:

You can add Co2 at room temperature for purging purposes however if you purged it when you filled the keg then leave it. If you didn’t purge the majority of oxygen out of the keg when filled then do it now.

Thanks for the responses for my newbie questions mate I really appreciate it 

Yep, as per the Ikegger vids, I purged out with the sanitiser at 25psi

then disconnected and filled the keg from the droid, I did find it would stop filling unless I released pressure, not sure if this is normal?

as advised before, now when I try to pull the release nothing is really coming out

1 minute ago, T D said:

then disconnected and filled the keg from the droid, I did find it would stop filling unless I released pressure, not sure if this is normal?

This is normal as the beer filling the keg has to push the Co2 out and replace that space.
Now your keg would have some Co2 in the head space but not at pressure. I would give it a few pumps with the Co2 at the 25/30psi just to be sure.

You appear not to have done any damage and the beer should be dood.

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Are you ok with it now? If not ask away

Yeah I’ve left it for the time being, I’ll push through some Co2 tomorrow and leave it.

if not I’ve got 5L in bottles and it’s a learning curve I guess 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T D said:

Alright just reporting back.

thanks for your help @Captain 3 Droids

I’ve put it upto to about 25 PSI in the keg now, all well and good.

do I need to release the pressure, or am I fine to leave this, then drop it when I’m putting in the fridge later when it’s aged?

Good one, now leave it as it is whilst aging, and as you say drop it when you put it into the fridge and then connect gas at dispensing pressure.

Your on the way T D

3 minutes ago, T D said:

Thanks @Captain 3 Droids  you’ve been a wealth of knowledge and I’m really glad I’ve found this community.

Hopefully one day I can pass on what I’ve learnt to a new brewer, cheers!

Pleasure, we all started once, ie all newbies and helping each other is rewarding. As you become more knowledgeable you will be able to pass good advise/information on. The best knowledge I’ve obtain (besides forum help) is from all the bloody mistakes I’ve done 🙂.

Let us know how things go and don’t be shy in asking away here on the forum.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1