Birra Italiano Lager

• 4 weeks later...

Gave this one a go at 3 weeks...

Not the best, not the worst, it may improve, hopefully. Interesting mixture of hops I put in to be fair, I overthought it so much I just went on impulse and my impulses ( excluding women) usually bank in at 95+%

In saying this though, it isn't a miss, maybe should have gone some Saaz and Hallertau and taken it to 50 gms but...may improve 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Gave this one a go at 3 weeks...

Not the best, not the worst, it may improve, hopefully. Interesting mixture of hops I put in to be fair, I overthought it so much I just went on impulse and my impulses ( excluding women) usually bank in at 95+%

In saying this though, it isn't a miss, maybe should have gone some Saaz and Hallertau and taken it to 50 gms but...may improve 

I think this brew needs to keep close to the original recipe which calls for Hersbrucker (H5) hops. Saaz and Hallertau would be a good close match (as you thought) however spalt is fairly weak in flavour and 4gms of perle wouldn’t do much.

May need to sit for a while as you suggest.

On 31/05/2021 at 6:20 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

I think this brew needs to keep close to the original recipe which calls for Hersbrucker (H5) hops. Saaz and Hallertau would be a good close match (as you thought) however spalt is fairly weak in flavour and 4gms of perle wouldn’t do much.

May need to sit for a while as you suggest.

The Lemonhops has added a really nice layer to it, there was just something not quite there, or was there that'd rather wasn't. Be interesting though, if the lemo hops takes the whole flavour, it'll be lovely 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/05/2021 at 6:49 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Will be interesting.

8 weeks in and its actually pretty good. I feared I'd have to drink 10 longnecks of not so nice beer but no problems drinking it.

Would I do the same hops profile again? No but at least this has been an OK experiment

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Nah.

PET or glass bottles?

I bought a bottle capper and some crown seals today. I almost can't believe I'm bothering to bottle some beers again. 😐

Glass...did check the crown seals, so it really is one reason only why it wasn't carbonated :)

I think since I have crown sealed I have had 3 flat ones, so in maybe 6-700 bottles, fair enough but two in a row. They were both stubbies, te ones I pour and cap last so now I am worried I didn't carbonate 7 stubbies...we will see

2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Glass...did check the crown seals, so it really is one reason only why it wasn't carbonated :)

I think since I have crown sealed I have had 3 flat ones, so in maybe 6-700 bottles, fair enough but two in a row. They were both stubbies, te ones I pour and cap last so now I am worried I didn't carbonate 7 stubbies...we will see

When bottling, I line up batches of 6 bottles and add the carb drops then proceed to fill. After a while the procedure becomes part of the process and it's automatic.

Edited by Eltham Brewing House
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

So I did get the final two stubies, open them carefully and was right, no carb drops in them, so have chucked in a couple as quicklu as I could and resealed. Hopefully that sorts it out and if it doesn't, so be it.

As I have aRdo tomorrow, treating myself to some Sunday Mayhem and grabbed a longneck of Birra, nicely carbonated, which is nice for a change.About 6 weeks in, will be even better with a couple more

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...