Bohemian Lager

I almost didn't order this based on the name. I mean we all love a Bohemian girl until that second when you say "lets have a shower together" and she says " what's a shower?" 

Dead set, the most under rated beer on this site ( given I'm not huge on ales...I will take that comment under advisement). I have brewed this beer twice and both times has just been ace. I rate it right up there with the Belgian Lager but unlike the Belgian Lager this is not the all rounder the Bel Lager is. A Belgian Lager drinks early and keeps on improving, a crisp, clear, flavoursome lager. The Bohemian lager drinks OK early but as it develops it brings some floral notes to the taste...you could even say it blossoms.

I have had this beer at about 12 weeks and it is pretty much a pleasure to drink, the flavour in it is something you would not expect from a lager. When I start my brewprint ordering, there is 2 Belgian and two Bohemians...and then I start the rest of the order.

• Haha 1

Story on this one. Was up in Adelaide a couple of weeks back to visit my Ma and brought a few bottles up. This was the first time someone else had drunk one of my beers and my 80 year old ma had a glass , had a drink looked at me and said "jeez, is this really the stuff you make?'

She was only going to have a small glass as she is recovering from an illness but looked at me and said " I'll have a pint of that if it's going, you know where the glasses are"

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Story on this one. Was up in Adelaide a couple of weeks back to visit my Ma and brought a few bottles up. This was the first time someone else had drunk one of my beers and my 80 year old ma had a glass , had a drink looked at me and said "jeez, is this really the stuff you make?'

She was only going to have a small glass as she is recovering from an illness but looked at me and said " I'll have a pint of that if it's going, you know where the glasses are"

Now you just can’t beat an approval like that. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your evaluation of this one Rob is pretty spot on. I’ve sampled this at only 4 weeks in the keg (note: I carbonate with co2 so no 2 weeks issue) having stocks depleted a bit by two adult sons on Fathers Day (bastards 🤗)

Another top lager, clean, crisp, spicy, malty with a smooth bitter finish. Very drinkable now and would mature well but I don’t think that’s going to happen.

A bit darker than expected, how was yours?

2214783B-7348-4408-A31E-A5617926270C.thumb.jpeg.9b2b7008af136154959e4121e04fc22f.jpeg

BE3098E2-4A37-483D-BCF5-319F0D53FB81.jpeg

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Jeez, not that dark, did you stick 3 bags of X3 in it?

Seriously though, just can't remember for sure but thought it was lighter than that

Mmm the recipe calls for 2 x X1, I don’t think I used X3 by mistake however wonder if I accidentally used one X3 with one X1? Could account for the sweetness? However I’m fairly careful when preparing the ingredients.  Could dry hopping with pellets rather than the clear liquid be the cause? That’s probably it.

16 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Yeah I reckon it will be the hops. A hop tea is always relatively dark so dry hopping for 2 days could do that. Shouldn’t alter the recipe result to any great degree as it did fit with the recipe profile.

One to remember when dry hopping or doing a tea.

Did some research to find that dry hopping can change the colour of brew particularly if original is light in colour, change darker, usually to amber. However over time the particles of hop will settle out and the beer colour will lighten if not to what it should be.

Makes sense with this brew 1) as only been kegged for 4 weeks and in the fridge to chill for a couple of days. 2) taste profile fits fairly well to what is stated.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Rummaging through a few bottles of this tonight. One of those beers I'd like to get onto with some hot weather ( which may, or may not happen where I live) Think there are a few beers I need to set up for Jan-April drinking, should have another Brewprint of this around so I think I'd be able to get this for April, maybe Easter.

All up though, with a couple Mark put me onto, one of my clear favs

If you brew now you reckon you’ll be able to keep them until April 😄😄😄🤡🙄 lol lol

• 4 weeks later...

15 weeks in secondary, 4 degrees and just ace, really ace. I could drink this beer all night long...and I bloody well will. It was nice out of the bottle at 8ish weeks but that is gold. This hasn't been dry hopped ( though, it would not hurt) and it is close to the perfect summer beer for me.

I know guys on here love the IPAs, PAs and ales but get this with 3 months secondary and you will think " maybe the guy wasn't just really thirsty". The only way you are getting a beer like this on tap from the pub is if it is one of those pubs that brews it's own on site. Anything CUB or Lion Nathan have does not even come close

11 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

That was a fun sesh last night, can't quite remember going to bed, I moved a chair into the middle of the bedroom for no apparent reason ( I mean, it was already in the bedroom, not that I drunkenly took a chair from another room in there...not saying that might not happen though). Good news is there are a few after cricket pints to sink tonight :)

I had a few myself yesterday but wasn’t involved in any “musical chairs” shenanigans. 😂. The best I could do was singing along with UTube music clips. The good women always grabs a book and goes off for a bath, not sure why? Something to do with my singing perhaps.

• Haha 1

Just through EOF, some brewart hop pouches and 10gms of Saaz should be good. Think I am down to my last few pouches of brewart hops now and then just dry hopping. It is weird that in the brewshop 25gms of hops is 8 bucks, 100gms is 10. Question though, the 25gms says 3.6% alpha and the 100gms 2.4% alpha...what does that mean?

11 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Just through EOF, some brewart hop pouches and 10gms of Saaz should be good. Think I am down to my last few pouches of brewart hops now and then just dry hopping. It is weird that in the brewshop 25gms of hops is 8 bucks, 100gms is 10. Question though, the 25gms says 3.6% alpha and the 100gms 2.4% alpha...what does that mean?

Generally the alpha % represents the amount of bitterness for the same weight, the higher the percentage the more bitterness that can be achieved.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...