Bohemian Lager

Had a longneck of these tonight, pretty sure I put 25gms of Saaz in it above my normal 20, 9 weeks in...those first few sips before the curry...well it was a glass but who is counting, the bitterness was just bang on for a lager. Even though I always mix up my beers for a nights drinking, had me wishing I had 3 of these in line tonight*

*Cricket season tomorrow, playing for a new club, best not turn up hungover so 3 longnecks it is

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hmm, but don’t you play your best cricket with a hungover?

I played a stunningly bad game one day really hungover. I believe I had at least 12-13 Boags premiums + a bottle of red the night before and I was see sawing between feeling ill and projectile vomitting. I was in such a bad state that when I went out to bat, I was hit on the pads and even though the umpire gave it not out, I walked.

Since that day I have tried to tone it down the night before a match.

Tried...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this scheduled as the last beer to lay down at the end of my current cycle at the end of March (I am building a stockpile to allow time for the beers to mature).

Has anyone attempted a variation on this as a Marzen (traditional Octoberfest beer). They generally come in a little stronger, more amber colored and sweeter. I'm thinking either sub in an E2/E3 for the E5 and add an X1/X2 or just add an extra E2 or X3. This beer will be left in the keg until October.

Thoughts?

Edited by Wolf

7 hours ago, Wolf said:

I have this scheduled as the last beer to lay down at the end of my current cycle at the end of March (I am building a stockpile to allow time for the beers to mature).

Has anyone attempted a variation on this as a Marzen (traditional Octoberfest beer). They generally come in a little stronger, more amber colored and sweeter. I'm thinking either sub in an E2/E3 for the E5 and add an X1/X2 or just add an extra E2 or X3. This beer will be left in the keg until October.

Thoughts?

I'd go the X3.

Whichever way you go should be a good beer

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

10 weeks in and i may have mentioned, this is my favourite beer in the range. I had drunk a lot of beer from around the world when it came to lagers and pilsners before I went the Brewart route and this was the first I had that I thought " I am brewing something noticably better than I have drunk before".

I've been necking this with Neder lager for the last couple of weeks mixing the last bottle up in the "Robs mystery box" (unlabelled beers) and it has been great. My biggest issue has only been work and its pesky rules about not drinking whilst working because those two beers should get an exemption.

Lovely crisp lager that I really don't muck around with the recipe for

IMG_1317 (1).jpg

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Drank the last 2 of these tonight, 12 weeks in, just fantastic. Have some in a box in the living area, 3 weeks in and one in the droid.

I like a lot of beers in the range but this is the best, such an easy drinking summer lager

IMG_1339.jpg

You talked me into it, Rob. I'm putting it on my list.

Just now, Steve Gyldenvand said:

You talked me into it, Rob. I'm putting it on my list.

It is worth it. I remember buying all the lager/pilsners bfrewprints and trying them when I first started. After 2 or 3 I realised that I could brew a beer as nice as I was buying but this made me think I could brew something better.

If you dry hop, keep it at 20gms of Saaz, the Bavarian lager is the exact same mix but with 20gms of Hallertau, I like both but the Bohemian...just a crisp summer lager, great for  BBQ, even better if someone else is doing the BBQ

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just taste tested a Bohemium Lager after 4 weeks in the bottle....sweetish, malty and not too bitter.

I must admit its the best beer I have brewed, as I brewed a lot of Ales first and wasn't too impressed.

So I thought I would try some lagers....I put and additional 250gms of Dextrose and it bumped the ABV to 6.5%.

This will be my go to brew and my plan is to keg quite a few to build up some inventory, as I have just purchased a Beer Flo.

I will not be drinking kegs until spring.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

you know that first warm day of spring that is going to lead into some nice spring weather for a long weekend, 25 today, 29 tomorrow. It really makes those lagers and pilsners step up to quench a mans thirst.

Might spend tomorrow power washing the driveway and then...well I'd like to think it is beers and pizza time but maybe that is after practicing cricket with my son ( who will not listen to the old man because hey, obviously I never played before and those newspaper clippings must be photoshopped or something.

Anyways, I'm not bitter, bitter as this beautiful lager, crisp and refreshing

IMG_1680.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...