Bohemian Lager

On 23/01/2022 at 12:00 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

How are you finder the Bouncer insert?

The thing was a game changer for me. Zero hop matter or sediment in my beers now ever.

I reckon a quick and easy product line update for Brewart would be to add some different gauge filter inserts to their offering.

What I have found with it is that when bottling, it is better to bottle whilst in storage, so the hops stay at the top of the brew. I did it today at kegging temp and I was flushing the filter every 4 bottles which whilst not the end of the world, is a PITA.

It is just a bit different (bottling with the hop filter, than the hop ball)and it just requires better preperation so you can keep the process quick. Proof will be in the pudding over the next few months as I will notice that the beers don't get that cloudiness from pouring the last bit of the long neck in it.

• Upvote 1

On 26/1/2022 at 6:58 PM, Rob Courtney said:

What I have found with it is that when bottling, it is better to bottle whilst in storage, so the hops stay at the top of the brew. I did it today at kegging temp and I was flushing the filter every 4 bottles which whilst not the end of the world, is a PITA.

It is just a bit different (bottling with the hop filter, than the hop ball)and it just requires better preperation so you can keep the process quick. Proof will be in the pudding over the next few months as I will notice that the beers don't get that cloudiness from pouring the last bit of the long neck in it.

Interesting. I don’t find the need to do that at all and think on average I would use a lot more hops in each brew than you do.

Are you cold crashing?

I keg at 18 degrees.

I fill one PET bottle and then flush the filter before connecting my keg line and kegging the remainder. The filter stays relatively clear.

I wonder why you’re having a different experience?

Which colour bouncer filter are you using?

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Interesting. I don’t find the need to do that at all and think on average I would use a lot more hops in each brew than you do.

Are you cold crashing?

I keg at 18 degrees.

I fill one PET bottle and then flush the filter before connecting my keg line and kegging the remainder. The filter stays relatively clear.

I have used a bit of tube previously from the keg filler to fill the bottles and it wasn't an issue, maybe cleaned it at the 5th bottle but from then on no problem. Maybe the bottle wand doesn't allow the ease of pressure that the tube did.

Guessing because I can't be bothered to look but the blue one, the finest one. As far as I'm concerned, it's a bit of learning to see what works best, though what I'm keen on is no sediment, if that means an extra trip or two for cleansing...I'm alright with that

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I have used a bit of tube previously from the keg filler to fill the bottles and it wasn't an issue, maybe cleaned it at the 5th bottle but from then on no problem. Maybe the bottle wand doesn't allow the ease of pressure that the tube did.

Guessing because I can't be bothered to look but the blue one, the finest one. As far as I'm concerned, it's a bit of learning to see what works best, though what I'm keen on is no sediment, if that means an extra trip or two for cleansing...I'm alright with that

I use the keg filler tube connected to the bottling wand using one of the press fit elbows and it works well.

Edited by Dustin Frothman

14 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Are you cold crashing?

I keg at 18 degrees.

OK, so I did somebottling this morning (coopers vintage) and I had a taste of it, smells god, hangover is gone and this time I prepared and paid attention. All my brews, even lagers and occasionally largers, I let go three days past RTK so they always get to cold crash.

I use the white filter which was the finest one. This time I left it in CC until I started to bottle and I didn't have to change the filter through 10 longnecks and 6 stubbies, though I did check a couple of times to see where it was at and hops were at a minimum in a brew with 50gms hops. I'm not entirely sure why the filter should have got clogged so often on a brew with 30gms of hops (though I am not excluding fate annoying me because I was ill prepared).

Not sure which way I go next time, it doesn't really bother me if I do bottle it whilst it is in storage, the extra few hours until it reaches room temperature i neither here nor there but it is always worthwhile to replicate the previous way to see what the outcome is

• Like 2

On 29/1/2022 at 12:10 PM, Rob Courtney said:

OK, so I did somebottling this morning (coopers vintage) and I had a taste of it, smells god, hangover is gone and this time I prepared and paid attention. All my brews, even lagers and occasionally largers, I let go three days past RTK so they always get to cold crash.

I use the white filter which was the finest one. This time I left it in CC until I started to bottle and I didn't have to change the filter through 10 longnecks and 6 stubbies, though I did check a couple of times to see where it was at and hops were at a minimum in a brew with 50gms hops. I'm not entirely sure why the filter should have got clogged so often on a brew with 30gms of hops (though I am not excluding fate annoying me because I was ill prepared).

Not sure which way I go next time, it doesn't really bother me if I do bottle it whilst it is in storage, the extra few hours until it reaches room temperature i neither here nor there but it is always worthwhile to replicate the previous way to see what the outcome is

@Rob CourtneyI kegged a brew this afternoon and confirmed that I use the blue filter. I haven’t tried the white as yet, and I recall when I purchased the pack looking at it and thinking it was probably too fine.

I get great results with the blue filter so perhaps that’s worth a shot if you’re having any issues.

1 hour ago, Dustin Frothman said:

@Rob CourtneyI kegged a brew this afternoon and confirmed that I use the blue filter. I haven’t tried the white as yet, and I recall when I purchased the pack looking at it and thinking it was probably too fine.

I get great results with the blue filter so perhaps that’s worth a shot if you’re having any issues.

LOL, the blue filter seems quite fine too, I will say though, the stubbie of Duetsch I drank Saturday night, when I got to the bottom, there was less residue than what I would find in a commercial lager bottle, it was very sweet indeed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Knocked over a couple of kegs of the Bohemian Lager with my son and son in law this afternoon. My boy who has spent time in Europe, reckoned it was a heap more drinkable than many of the lagers over there, he even questioned if it was a true lager or not, because he enjoyed it so much. He reckoned a lot of the German and Austrian lagers were OK to a point, but not something he would persist with longer than a hour or two.

Personally (as an ale fan) I am still trying to come to terms with these lagers, but after having sampled this and the lawnmower lager a couple of weeks ago, I am beginning to see why many people enjoy them.  Even in my mid fifties, I have a hell of a lot to learn about the subtleties of different beers.

Cheers!

Anthony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Hey all,

Knocked over a couple of kegs of the Bohemian Lager with my son and son in law this afternoon. My boy who has spent time in Europe, reckoned it was a heap more drinkable than many of the lagers over there, he even questioned if it was a true lager or not, because he enjoyed it so much. He reckoned a lot of the German and Austrian lagers were OK to a point, but not something he would persist with longer than a hour or two.

Personally (as an ale fan) I am still trying to come to terms with these lagers, but after having sampled this and the lawnmower lager a couple of weeks ago, I am beginning to see why many people enjoy them.  Even in my mid fifties, I have a hell of a lot to learn about the subtleties of different beers.

Cheers!

Anthony

Really happy to hear that, trying some different styles than you are used to, gives you so many more options (too many) for your brewing schedule. I was a pilsner drinker only before Brewart and as much as I loved Czech beers, it was when I brewed this beer ( which I had little hope for) and then drank it, was the first time I was certain that I had made a good choice buying the droid/s.

I must have annoyed Mrs C that night telling her how good that beer was (though secretly, she was probably thinking 'thank god he hasn't pissed away $1000 on another toy") but yeah, that was it, I knew i made better beer or at least as good than I could buy.

There are a number of good lagers to try but if you are an Ale drinker, maybe try a different lagers with each order, it might take a few years to get all of them done but you've got time :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Rob,

I recently purchased 6 brew prints (spend $200 and pay no postage). If I had have done it 6 weeks ago I reckon I would have just got 6 different pale ales. But I have bought the lawn mower lager again, as well as the Czech Pilsner and an amber ale. 
The thing I really like is  the nuanced styles BrewArt offer, with the slight and subtle variations in flavour across one beer from the other. I reckon in the last six months, since purchasing the droid, I have educated myself and developed an awareness regarding beer, that previously was non existent. Reading posts on this forum from the likes of yourself, Captain, Wazza and Dustin have been super helpful as I find my way in brewing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Snapchat-1898725002.thumb.jpg.7274fd76b1ae7c868b73966989783e22.jpgLet's just say it's been... Lagering. Yeah.

Things got a bit busy for a week or 2 when it was finished so it went on storage, then I went away for a fortnight. Wish I'd been able to bottle it back then so it was waiting ready for me when I got back.

Anyway all bottled up yesterday, DH with I think between 15 and 20g saaz. Jolly Roger in to replace it

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

43 days 22 hours, what a ripper. Now that has to be a record. I’ll bet it will be as clear filtered beer. Don’t forget to report at consumption time.

I've seen people in the FB group leave it much longer than that! I also used the white bouncer filter which I think is the finest. It was a nice straw colour out of the droid, and secondary fermentation has already well and truly kicked off, which is good because I was worried there wouldn't be enough yeast and it might be a bit sluggish. Also a little worried it will be more bitter and less of the other hop flavours from the extended dry hop time, like over-steeped tea. But the blurb for this in the store advertises it carrying a bit more of a punch so it should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...