Lion City Lager

17 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Interested to see what you think of this. I brewed it a while back kegged half and bottled half. Was fine with the keg but really liked the bottles. Not sure it was Tiger but in the bottles it was a really good beer

Hopefully it comes out ok . I would be happy if it was a carbon copy of tiger but also happy if its got its own legs and stands up as a tasty beer. Also keen to see how a lager goes compared to the ales I have picked so far 🙂

17 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Hopefully it comes out ok . I would be happy if it was a carbon copy of tiger but also happy if its got its own legs and stands up as a tasty beer. Also keen to see how a lager goes compared to the ales I have picked so far 🙂

It is one of those beers i felt started drinking nice at 4-5 weeks. I have had Tiger on tap O/S a few times and I'm not sure what i brewed was that but in the same sense, I was really happy with the bottles i brewed. The Keg was OK but didn't quite have the same body (drank at I think 10-11 weeks) as the bottles.

I will order it again but

Hmmm i feel like I may be having dramas with this Tiger City Lager. I would say the smell isnt conclusive with what a brew should be . I am so used to this bready start to fermented fruit odour coming from the droid. This lager has the palest fruit odour but has a weird top note , i would almost say sulfur like but thats clutching at a scent. Time will tell but now I am worried. 

I noticed when put the yeast in the droid they just sunk instead of blooming like every other one has , is that normal ? 

16 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So maybe not all hope is lost . Egg was the smell i am getting , thats the sulfur smell . Just having an unsure moment as this is the first brew of a lager I have done . Time will tell 

20200104_095909.jpg

I wouldn’t worry too much at this stage as a lot of lagers tend to give off a sulphur smell. (You should the Coopers European Lager, boy dies that stink.) This is usually due to the yeast. The Lion uses Y7, that’s w34/70 lager yeast. It is noted to produce the smell particularly if slightly stressed. The smell will go but you will need to store it for a while before consuming.

12 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Most yeasts I’ve put in tend to sink after an initial “float” however I’ve usually got the ingredients going on top fairly quickly.

Yeah they just went straight to the bottom this time.. do you think the high temp of initial water would have "stressed" the yeast . I know its better warmer then cooler but still...

4 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah they just went straight to the bottom this time.. do you think the high temp of initial water would have "stressed" the yeast . I know its better warmer then cooler but still...

Certainly could have, good thinking. However don’t believe any damage done but it will need to sit for a while once bottle/kegged. 

How long do you think it would need to sit ? This is another beer I want to show off , no good if it has a Sulfur odour , would have to blame it on the Minister for War and Finances 😂 . Good to know to start looking at initial water temps . I am always going to have hot water so will have to look at chilling some before brewing 🙂  oh well 

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

I wouldn’t worry too much at this stage as a lot of lagers tend to give off a sulphur smell. (You should the Coopers European Lager, boy dies that stink.) This is usually due to the yeast. The Lion uses Y7, that’s w34/70 lager yeast. It is noted to produce the smell particularly if slightly stressed. The smell will go but you will need to store it for a while before consuming.

4 to 6 weeks perhaps however best to wait and determine how strong the smell is when fermentation finishes.

• Upvote 1

Yeah to be honest the eggy smell dissapeared after around day 3 of the fermentation.  Went for 9 days before ready to keg . Tastes lighter then the ales I am used to sampling , but that par for course. Lpok forward to the conditioning and to sample 🙂

1 minute ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah to be honest the eggy smell dissapeared after around day 3 of the fermentation.  Went for 9 days before ready to keg . Tastes lighter then the ales I am used to sampling , but that par for course. Lpok forward to the conditioning and to sample 🙂

Like you I’m more an ale man but through Brewart and Rob’s influence on lager brewing I have found a place for them and frankly find enjoyable. Should suit your climate as they are great on a stinking hot day.

• Upvote 1

Yeah should be enjoyable . I always find tiger a little more malty then a normal lager and holds a bit more body . Keen to see how this one holds up. But yeah I think I may end up getting a few lagers through the mix . Might as well see whats on offer 😉

31 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah should be enjoyable . I always find tiger a little more malty then a normal lager and holds a bit more body . Keen to see how this one holds up. But yeah I think I may end up getting a few lagers through the mix . Might as well see whats on offer 😉

As they say, you won’t know till you try. I’ve done most of the Brewprint recipes (not stouts as have heaps bottled), rated them hand have a top ten for reap purposes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So doing this today . Unsure if its a good thing or bad. This is obviously a clone for a tiger beer .... not the actual recipe for Tiger beer but was intrigued to see how they stack up. My keg is still young only 5 weeks of secondary . But was plesantly surprised. The Tiger is a much more full bodied beer for mouthfeel and has that maltier/honey flavor profile ... but doing a few mouthfuls side by side they arent dissimilar . I think with some tweaking it could be an identical brew 😄

20200212_162753.jpg

• Upvote 1