Lion City Lager

3 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Out of interest did you add extra hops to this one?

20 gms of Hallertau dry hopped. It has made it a different beer initially to the beer that was liquid hoped but now it is starting to blend in together. I am using these next few brews that are all exclusively dry hopped to see how that impacts on the lagers ability to hold flavour, do they take longer to get to the sweet spot etc etc.

Even using the Aussie Premium as an example, 11 going towards 12 weeks and it was still its own brew, not losing its flavour in hops like say the Czech did it 16 weeks ( which was liquid hops and 10gms of dry hops. I'd like to know where that cliff is so to speak, where it starts to drop off

13 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

20 gms of Hallertau dry hopped. It has made it a different beer initially to the beer that was liquid hoped but now it is starting to blend in together. I am using these next few brews that are all exclusively dry hopped to see how that impacts on the lagers ability to hold flavour, do they take longer to get to the sweet spot etc etc.

Even using the Aussie Premium as an example, 11 going towards 12 weeks and it was still its own brew, not losing its flavour in hops like say the Czech did it 16 weeks ( which was liquid hops and 10gms of dry hops. I'd like to know where that cliff is so to speak, where it starts to drop off

I’m not a fan of the liquid hops and they do tend to taper off fairly quickly, perhaps the 6 to 8 week recommendation is part of this and I’d suspect the 10gms of hops at 16 weeks is what you are mainly tasting.

I couldn't leave a whole weekend of drinking with US Chiller and the Morgans lager...it had left a bad taste in my mouth...particularly the Morgans.

1 Grolsch stubbie of this tonight...and this is what I will be drinking over the next 2 weeks...very nice. This has really improved over the last 3 weeks, really improved. Still not sure it is a good copy of Tiger beer but it is bloody nice 

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

I couldn't leave a whole weekend of drinking with US Chiller and the Morgans lager...it had left a bad taste in my mouth...particularly the Morgans.

1 Grolsch stubbie of this tonight...and this is what I will be drinking over the next 2 weeks...very nice. This has really improved over the last 3 weeks, really improved. Still not sure it is a good copy of Tiger beer but it is bloody nice 

Believe it or not but haven’t brewed this one yet, could be next in. Paul enjoys it as well so two good recommendations.

Not in your top ten though?

Edited by Barrelboy

I dunno i think this Lager held its own. I can see why its called a clone as it represents the profile of Tiger IMHO. When i did my side by side Tiger was the winner as it was a much heavier mouthfeel and a maltier beer. But this still shared the slight honey flavor I found in both and the general taste and appearance. This would be in my top ten . Price and quality 🤘

17 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I dunno i think this Lager held its own. I can see why its called a clone as it represents the profile of Tiger IMHO. When i did my side by side Tiger was the winner as it was a much heavier mouthfeel and a maltier beer. But this still shared the slight honey flavor I found in both and the general taste and appearance. This would be in my top ten . Price and quality 🤘

Fill in the top ten in BrewArt Banter if inclined.🤔🙂👍

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Just had a look at the recipe, “heavier mouthfeel and a maltier beer” I’d drop the X5 (dextrose) and replace with X1 (light dry malt extract). In fact that’s what I’ll do when I brew this one.

• Upvote 2

On 19/04/2020 at 7:45 AM, Barrelboy said:

Just had a look at the recipe, “heavier mouthfeel and a maltier beer” I’d drop the X5 (dextrose) and replace with X1 (light dry malt extract). In fact that’s what I’ll do when I brew this one.

Well, I won't be all "that's what my wife said I was allowed to brew" and I'll keep the X5 and add the X1 :)

Drinking one of the swingtop long necks and boy, what a Tuesday Taco night, Tiger drinking very nice, reckon a little more time as it is 7.5 weeks but I'd be happy to sink a few of these tonight...pity I am an essential worker...FML.

Actually, interesting thoughts on swapping in and out some elements, I am actually going to order a Belgian Strong Ale next time but drop off 2 of the X5s out of it*. When it hits its stride it is a really nice brew but at 9% you can make driving to work the next day a really stupid idea, 6 - 6.5% may be the way to make it a good, non killing brew

*That's what my wife...."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In the Droid today as a first time brew, having good recommendations. Will look forward to first pint in many weeks to come 😴🥱🙄. I did not add the dextrose (E5) as not a fan of it in home brews. Will not adversely affect flavour but will drop alcohol % to 4.5 which suits me fine. Could be a good quaffing?

• Upvote 2

Im thinking of throwing one of these in as well today . Now as you have seen before @Barrelboyi have had issues with my water temp . I was reading a recipe for a different clone and it talked about adding yeast at propogation temp . Do you think this is something i could ( and should do ) on a lager brew being the yeast stresses anyways . So fill the 10 litre brew start it, when propogation temp reached take lid off add ingredients and close lid ? 

18 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Im thinking of throwing one of these in as well today . Now as you have seen before @Barrelboyi have had issues with my water temp . I was reading a recipe for a different clone and it talked about adding yeast at propogation temp . Do you think this is something i could ( and should do ) on a lager brew being the yeast stresses anyways . So fill the 10 litre brew start it, when propogation temp reached take lid off add ingredients and close lid ? 

Now that could be quite clever Paul. Get to propagation temp, add yeast then ingredients? Can’t see why that would not work. You could also get to propagation temp, press the X button and switch unit off, add yeast ingredients and and start the recipe program up again.

Give one method  a go, I say.

Good thinking Paul.

Ok gonna try to add when propogation temp is reached. I know last time i got a heavy sulphur smell from the yeast , maybe it will be the same , time will tell . Didnt effect it in the end product and it was a delicious brew. But see how we go, a week will tell 😉 . PS this is winter water temps up here 😂😂😂

Screenshot_20200529-123545_BrewArt.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok so update . Added all ingredients at 22 degrees and 4 days in no really offputting sulphur smell from my first go at brewing this.  Didnt effect the taste last time but seeing if maybe there is an improvement ( or regression) in flavors , either ways interesting test 😄

• Upvote 2

So update . Just rolled over day 7 , this brew is still going. Have just had the droid do something it has never done before. It is ramping the temp up over the next 2 days i believe. Had a notification bit once i swiped it away it was gone to the ages haha. Anyways a quick google looks like a are doing a diacetyl rest , which didnt happen last time i am sure of. So interesting times and keen to try this beer even more 

Screenshot_20200605-145409_BrewArt.jpg

4 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So update . Just rolled over day 7 , this brew is still going. Have just had the droid do something it has never done before. It is ramping the temp up over the next 2 days i believe. Had a notification bit once i swiped it away it was gone to the ages haha. Anyways a quick google looks like a are doing a diacetyl rest , which didnt happen last time i am sure of. So interesting times and keen to try this beer even more 

Screenshot_20200605-145409_BrewArt.jpg

No, normal, as it happens have a Lion in the fermenter now, start as a lager 12C, then it ramped up to 15C, now at day 7 it ramped up to 17C. All normal all good.

I cant see the Tiger notes from last time but i am sure i didnt see this happen last time. Might be wrong and cool that its another feature of the droid i didnt know about ( P.S. the Lion city is the only lager i brew 😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I cant see the Tiger notes from last time but i am sure i didnt see this happen last time. Might be wrong and cool that its another feature of the droid i didnt know about ( P.S. the Lion city is the only lager i brew 😂😂😂

Oh Paul, like you I wasn’t a great lager drinker until this, you have to try some of the others. If you don’t do you’ll never know.

• Thanks 1

I will have to shop for a few new lagers.... but i will not be lowering myself to the US Chiller haha . Was no part of the Well beers i enjoyed when I was in America. And i was unfortunate when I was there was just before their craft revolution , most places i could get Sierra Nevada , but if i ever got stuck with a millers or a Bud Light 😳 .i am keen on the Czech pils , i know thats basically Budweiser but the Budvar was always more enjoyable then the knockoff 😂

7 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I will have to shop for a few new lagers.... but i will not be lowering myself to the US Chiller haha . Was no part of the Well beers i enjoyed when I was in America. And i was unfortunate when I was there was just before their craft revolution , most places i could get Sierra Nevada , but if i ever got stuck with a millers or a Bud Light 😳 .i am keen on the Czech pils , i know thats basically Budweiser but the Budvar was always more enjoyable then the knockoff 😂

Agree no to US Chiller but the Czech, Bohemian, Belgian and Deutsch lager are all top drops.