Lion City Lager

4 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Haven’t brewed this for a long time, records show I had left the X5 out and didn’t substitute. It made it a 4.5% brew and easy drinking. Will do again but when?..ha

I have done it without the X5 before and it was OK but nothing more

• Upvote 1

It has been a long day, a long week, 3 clients who came to see me today brought me a coffee...which is great, it really is but it means I am breaking my "no beer during the week" rule...otherwise I'll get to sleep at 4am.

I reckon this has hit 8 weeks now and it is almost there, may have been there if it wasn't so cold, anyways, starting to remember what I liked about this beer, is rounding out and becoming a bit moreish.

Looking like my "no expansive breakfasts during the week" rule, can see that getting the arse tomorrow as well

IMG_0979.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rob Courtney said:

Looking like my "no expansive breakfasts during the week" rule, can see that getting the arse tomorrow as well

Not to worry if you don’t.

I reckon the last three mornings this week I’ve had this entire forum’s worth of expansive breakfasts at the hotel buffet. 

Another one tomorrow can’t hurt.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Going to put this one on tonight, but "Lawnmower Lager" style, dosing it up with some dry hops. Probably 20ish g of citra because that's what I've got. I think I also ordered it with the extra e1 instead of e5 but I'll check.

There's a very popular recipe in our circle that people call "Floral Friday" which usually involves a basic lightly flavoured lager can kit with a dose of usually galaxy so this will be my attempt at a version of that.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Going to put this one on tonight, but "Lawnmower Lager" style, dosing it up with some dry hops. Probably 20ish g of citra because that's what I've got. I think I also ordered it with the extra e1 instead of e5 but I'll check.

There's a very popular recipe in our circle that people call "Floral Friday" which usually involves a basic lightly flavoured lager can kit with a dose of usually galaxy so this will be my attempt at a version of that.

Sounds good I'm not a big fan of the X5 in the recipe, be interesting to hear your thoughts on it

• 4 months later...

I'll post a piccy of it laterif I get into one of the bottles of these I've got left.

It was somewhere between 15-20g of citra, nothing else because I didn't want it too bitter, resinous or complex.

At first this turned out... A little odd. There was a grassy taste and just some strange aftertaste going on with the hops and maybe something in the malt not quite being friends. I took it to our brewers & drinkers meet and it didn't do terribly but not great like I'd hoped. In the many weeks since then it's matured very well and is now just very strongly citrus tasting, with an almost sweetness. Bitterness is nice and low. Head and mouthfeel are good. Interesting in some lighting if you hold it up it almost looks a bit green. If I did this again I'd probably try to use a slightly milder lager again, but it's definitely not a regret. I'd also consider running with the citrus flavour and add a bit of lemon or lime zest. I'm just getting an idea now for kaffir lime beer...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Think Citra is a great idea, a hop I think goes well in Lagers

Yeah the citra is bloody beautiful there's just a teeny tiny funky interplay between the hops and malts on this recipe so I'd look at trying it with a different one. That's almost completely disappeared now unless you're looking for it.

2 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Yeah the citra is bloody beautiful there's just a teeny tiny funky interplay between the hops and malts on this recipe so I'd look at trying it with a different one. That's almost completely disappeared now unless you're looking for it.

I snuck a bit into a Czech Pilsner, would like to split it 15/15 as I believe that would come up OK

• 3 months later...

Just stuck this one on, swapping out the X5 for the 250g of dark malt extract I had left over from my attempt at a marzen. Given the German yeast and the amount of wheat malt in there I'm hoping it comes out something like Erdinger Dunkel.

Edited by Wolf
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...