Lion City Lager

On 29/05/2020 at 9:10 AM, Barrelboy said:

In the Droid today as a first time brew, having good recommendations. Will look forward to first pint in many weeks to come 😴🥱🙄. I did not add the dextrose (E5) as not a fan of it in home brews. Will not adversely affect flavour but will drop alcohol % to 4.5 which suits me fine. Could be a good quaffing?

Kegged today after a 9 day fermentation, nice and slow and easy. Will look forward to this particularly without the dextrose.

(imo opinion dextrose plays a big part in that home brew “tang” with can kits. When I substitute it with malt the difference was so noticeable)

7 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Kegged today after a 9 day fermentation, nice and slow and easy. Will look forward to this particularly without the dextrose.

(imo opinion dextrose plays a big part in that home brew “tang” with can kits. When I substitute it with malt the difference was so noticeable)

Interesting opinion when it comes to dextrose

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Proof is in the pudding, next time you do a can (think you like Morgan’s) do a recipe that calls for dextrose and substitute it for light dry malt extra or X1.

Not sure there will be another can to be honest. I'm set on a few brews here and then have a whole bunch I haven't tried to keep me occupied

8 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Mine just finished today at 10 days 😁, downside is cant bottle until Friday 😅😅😅. I have also added the hops in anticipation as was hoping to bottle yesterday lol 

Won’t be any problems with the hops or the time in bottling. Are you going to let it go into store mode or leave at keg temp?

Ill leave it at the moment , because i might shit the bed early and be dedicated to the craft . Working Dayshift doesnt give me much sparetime at the moment . If i dont do it in the morning i will throw it in storage mode before i head off to work .

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/06/2020 at 11:34 AM, Barrelboy said:

Well I have had to change a few things in my top 10 selections. This was (and I say was) a surprisingly exceptional drop. About 4 weeks it was just full of flavour (note: had no hallertau hops so substituted continental). On my list to do again next in. To be honest I thought it might have been “watery” an impression of some Asian style beers but certainly not with this one.

10 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Well I have had to change a few things in my top 10 selections. This was (and I say was) a surprisingly exceptional drop. About 4 weeks it was just full of flavour (note: had no hallertau hops so substituted continental). On my list to do again next in. To be honest I thought it might have been “watery” an impression of some Asian style beers but certainly not with this one.

I am keen to try this in another 4 weeks when i can indulge in a beer again. I attempted to play with propogation temps this time and fingers crossed its better then the first ( which was pretty damn good ) . Glad you came on board with this @Barrelboy 😄

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

So good that in the Droid again today. Will not alter recipe ie no X5 (dextrose) and dry hop with Continental not Hallertau.

happy to give this another go without the X5 and see how that turns out. Will probably try something similar with the Belgian Strong Ale and ditch a couple of the X5s to make it a 6.5% Belgian Ale so it isn't as dangerous...I mean when that one hits its stride it is a lovely drink but you can't drive for about a day after, maybe 2.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So first beer in August and this is a great beer.  Its now at 6 weeks in the keg and if i sat outside with my eyes closed i would swear i was in Singapore ( the tiger beer and humidity combo) . I honestly think this is the best lager i could drink... ever. This time i waited until propagation temp had been reached before introducing the yeast and remaining ingredients, first time water temp 30 odd and stressed yeast stench 3 days in, this time 22 and nice happy healthy yeast. The first tiger beer had much more of a honey malt sweetness to it . This one still malty but more of a bitter alcohol top note , damn if only i didnt have to drive tonight 🤣

20200801_162934.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/06/2020 at 2:01 PM, Barrelboy said:

Proof is in the pudding, next time you do a can (think you like Morgan’s) do a recipe that calls for dextrose and substitute it for light dry malt extra or X1.

I made this one but instead of substituting an X5 for an X1....I left the X5 out altogether. Tried one tonight at 4 weeks in and it still needs some time but is not bad. If I had thought about it more ( and that would be a first) I would have substituted the Hallertau for Hersbrucker. In saying that though, another couple of weeks and it may just be a darn good beer and one that doesn't tip over 5% for once

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finishing this off now at 8 weeks and it is OK but without the X5 not quite the beer I was hoping for. I think a hop change would work better for it if I was to leave the X5 out, maybe Galaxy though that would probably take away the Asian feel so maybe a cluster hops would be the way to go next time

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I have this in the droid atm . Shouks have made a change to the recipe , but i find adding ingredients at propogation temp works for me and the beer is great the way it is . One day lol..

That’s been a great idea for you and I will adapt it when we get to heatwaves here in Adelaide. (saves chilling water). At the moment enjoying a Bohemian Lager whilst watch taped World Cup Darts, ho how hard life is at times. ☺️

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Funny how beer tastes change over the journey, really liked this one at the 4-6 week stage (oruiginal recipe) but now, this one at close to 6 weeks, the taste of alcohol from the X5 is still there.

It isn't the worst but it is noticable...almost has a bit of the Belgian 6.5% to it. Hopefully that drops away in the next few weeks but yeah, next time might substitute an E1 or X1 for it though...if I remember...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/5/2022 at 6:36 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Funny how beer tastes change over the journey, really liked this one at the 4-6 week stage (oruiginal recipe) but now, this one at close to 6 weeks, the taste of alcohol from the X5 is still there.

It isn't the worst but it is noticable...almost has a bit of the Belgian 6.5% to it. Hopefully that drops away in the next few weeks but yeah, next time might substitute an E1 or X1 for it though...if I remember...

That’s what I don’t like about dextrose (X5), I blame it for that “tang” people talk about with the kit and kilo brews. I’d replace as you suggest with the X1.

5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

That’s what I don’t like about dextrose (X5), I blame it for that “tang” people talk about with the kit and kilo brews. I’d replace as you suggest with the X1.

To be honest, with so many good brews out there, I'd probably give this one a miss from now on.

Of course, it may all come together in a week or two