Pacific pale ale

Shawn McKee

Obviously, this has reminded me to get more Amarillo stock, so I went to the homebrew shop and got a few supplies. I was chatting to him about how good this mix was and he asked do I keep notes and said because you'll have a great beer that is 6 months old and wonder what mix you used.

6 months, I laughed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will always find some amazement with brewing how in week 5 you can drink a beer and think "hmmm, needs longer, maybe it hits its stride at 8" and then you start questioning the hops you put in, was it the right one, was I not paying attention, have I buggered the brew up?

And then 1 week later...bang, Session my old friend...

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Trying one of these toight and think that it does need something else besides the Galaxy in with it, did like the Amarillo in the mix last time, may have to muck around more with this.

I mean I like this but I think I can do better

Amarillo.  Yum!   It’s amazing even at twice the dose!   Goes very very nicely together with mosaic and can’t imagine it not being very bit as good a complement to galaxy!

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 29/05/2021 at 1:11 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Melba hops may be hard to get as crops were destroyed during the Victorian bushfires and are only just coming back. Enigma is a very close substitute.

6 months later, I have just dry hopped this with Galaxy and Enigma, 25gms of each. Hopefully, it turns out a treat

• Upvote 1

Hope so, I really do. I have gone through some beers this year where I have experimented and it has been "alright" but not much more. So knowing I have the Czech down pat, the Stone and Wood sweet as, Boho and Bavarian on point, it'd be nice to add another to the list

In saying that though, it is part of the beer journey to experiment...you drink the losses and celebrate the wins

Edited by Rob Courtney

8 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Hope so, I really do. I have gone through some beers this year where I have experimented and it has been "alright" but not much more. So knowing I have the Czech down pat, the Stone and Wood sweet as, Boho and Bavarian on point, it'd be nice to add another to the list

In saying that though, it is part of the beer journey to experiment...you drink the losses and celebrate the wins

If you don’t have a go then you’ll never never know. I think a lot with hop experiments is not so much about the combinations but more on the quantities of each addition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

If you don’t have a go then you’ll never never know. I think a lot with hop experiments is not so much about the combinations but more on the quantities of each addition.

Exactly. One of the best pieces of advice I got off this board was to simplify the hops. A local brewer who hasn't snobbed the Brewart system was big on the KISS principle when it comes to brewing. He was the one who suggested giving Tettang a go and that has worked a treat...even though I still want to experiment with the German  hops when it comes to other lagers like Aus premium

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi pacificers, just jumping on to this thread as I have completed this as my first brew. As I've said in another thread, many thanks to the people on here for advice and tips for all droid related matters. As for the beer....

Only had after 2 and a bit weeks secondary in the bottle so not expecting great things yet. Very happy though with colour, head, aroma but the taste is still a bit wanting, not much of a back end Tatar and a bit lager-y at the moment for my liking. I note lots of other suggestions have made a point of holding off until at least 4 weeks. One of the FB groups also recommend adding a few other hops in. 

What's everyone's thoughts on additions?PXL_20220103_095905337.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.64e02260f7ab48737267f29b7816043d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sam Armstrong said:

Hi pacificers, just jumping on to this thread as I have completed this as my first brew. As I've said in another thread, many thanks to the people on here for advice and tips for all droid related matters. As for the beer....

Only had after 2 and a bit weeks secondary in the bottle so not expecting great things yet. Very happy though with colour, head, aroma but the taste is still a bit wanting, not much of a back end Tatar and a bit lager-y at the moment for my liking. I note lots of other suggestions have made a point of holding off until at least 4 weeks. One of the FB groups also recommend adding a few other hops in. 

What's everyone's thoughts on additions?PXL_20220103_095905337.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.64e02260f7ab48737267f29b7816043d.jpg

Nice looking brew, would be happy for my first. Wait for the 4 to 6 week mark to see how it develops, you may not want extra hops.

• Upvote 1

26 days in secondary...and I broke, had to try one and I did on the basis tht I was really unimpressed with a taste when I was bottling, just seemed like it wasn't going to be the right hops profile.

Bloody hell this is nice, like really nice. It still has some maturing to do but that appears to be one you'd knock a few pints down on a hot day

Top call on the hops combo @Captain 3 Droids

Image preview

Edited by Rob Courtney

37 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

26 days in secondary...and I broke, had to try one and I did on the basis tht I was really unimpressed with a taste when I was bottling, just seemed like it wasn't going to be the right hops profile.

Bloody hell this is nice, like really nice. It still has some maturing to do but that appears to be one you'd knock a few pints down on a hot day

Top call on the hops combo @Captain 3 Droids

Image preview

image.png.65c37f5ed9f6ed3bfd7dbdcfdae05947.png

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1