Wanted to do a brewdog punk ipa

Hey guys , 

Thoughts, feelings and advice. Was waiting on my next ordee but it still hasnt arrived. Only ingredients i had left was for a clone of the Brewdog Punk IPA. This is a very Hoppy IPA as per the hop chart . Problem ia other then the cascade i dont have any of the hops yet . I have cascade , challenger and galaxy at home. Reckon i could make a tasty beverage from this ? 

Ingredients i have is , E1,E2 2xE5,2xX1,Y1 . Plus an X2 i have kicking around then i am out of product lol

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

So doing my PHunk IPA and hopped it today . Recipe had 100gr of various hops DH . Couldnt go that heavy nor had the beans , but have gone 30gr Cascade , 30gr Galaxy, 20gr Challenger. Either going to be great ..m. or 🤣🤣🤣

Sorry Paul didn’t see this before although your first post was 22/4. The hop combination should work well and give a huge hop hit.

10 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

You have any idea where you parcel is? I’m waiting on a box from NSW, went to Aust Post 11 days ago, still there ha ha

Sorry Barrelboy , should have mentioned i had it come Friday last week. Now I am a happy man with a couple.of months worth of brews to make .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Sorry @Paul84, I missed this as well, I'd have advised you to just put all the hops you had in. 

Live dangerously, reap the rewards

Yeah i just used what I had which i dont think was a bad combo . Both Cascade and Galaxy have the fruit hoppy notes and the challenger has the slight spicyness behind them ( hopefully 🤣🤣🤣)  . Gonna do a hop order shortly though for a few new hops to try

• Upvote 1

I got some from Brewart , still as per recipes. But i might buy some hope equivalents and add to suit . See how I feel haha, might also work out what i actually ordered and do as Rob did make a few different combos with what i have on hand, even if Inhave to sort a few new yeasts as well 🙂 , gotta do the Cricketers Arms you put together @Barrelboy too 🙂

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

I got some from Brewart , still as per recipes. But i might buy some hope equivalents and add to suit . See how I feel haha, might also work out what i actually ordered and do as Rob did make a few different combos with what i have on hand, even if Inhave to sort a few new yeasts as well 🙂 , gotta do the Cricketers Arms you put together @Barrelboy too 🙂

Due to the rapid express delivery service you have in Port Hedland I’d be looking to order hop pellets now! Ha. Just look up “hop pellets“ on eBay, despatch from Melb, good supplier and price.

I order ingredients to match my top 10 and what I’ve brewed if I want to do again then add some extra E’s, X’s, Y’s so I can experiment and/or do other recipes. By just ordering a couple of each I’ve actually built up a small stock of goodies.

oh yes the Cricketers.

Yeah i need to go through and see what I wanna hop . I have kegged the PHunk IPA today . Even the brew on Primary Fermentation has got some kick . Will leave it 4 weeks until a sample , has a hop kick at this stage and will see how that goes 😁 , was always going to be a punchy beer.

Now @Barrelboy , what was your rule of thumb for ingredients to alcohol content . Really need to buy a Hydrometer( but i dont drink and drive so doesnt fuss me if all my beers are high ABV lol ) 

P.S. - loving the profile pic mate . Ill add one 😉

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@Paul84 how did this one turn out?

The Punk IPA is a great beer. My wife is from the region of Scotland where Brewdog started out and I've been lucky enough to visit their original brewpub there and work my way through their lineup.

I'm still yet to visit their new brewery in here in Brisbane but it's on the list once the COVID stuff settles down.

• Upvote 1

To be honest mate it was wicked. I didnt follow the hop profile on the shemsheet ( as i didnt have those hops) but i did add what i wanted and a decent amount so it was punchy to say the best. Still have a couple and now they are a few weeks older keen to try another 🙂 . Given me the confidence to push the dry hopping atm. And i have given the Brewdog stuff a good run when i go over there as well . I&G is a good brew company too 🤘

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul84 said:

To be honest mate it was wicked. I didnt follow the hop profile on the shemsheet ( as i didnt have those hops) but i did add what i wanted and a decent amount so it was punchy to say the best. Still have a couple and now they are a few weeks older keen to try another 🙂 . Given me the confidence to push the dry hopping atm. And i have given the Brewdog stuff a good run when i go over there as well . I&G is a good brew company too 🤘

Here’s a pleasant shock for you:-

Dan Murphy’s is selling a slab of 24 x 330ml for $81.99 ($3.41 a can). Now converting that to 375ml = 21 cans therefore = $3.90 a can. As you get the equivalent of 26 x 375ml from the droid 10l = $101.40 of value. Deduct the recipe costs and your so far in front it’s not funny.👍👍👍👌

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Great to hear, thanks. I'll definitely try to get hold of all the hops as per the spreadsheet.

I agree, Innis & Gunn are a great Scottish brewery too and easily found at pubs in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Not so much up in Aberdeen where the wife is from. 

We're big fans of Tempest from Scotland too.

Yeah i will do this again and follow the shemsheet closer. However the fact it wasnt really a true "clone" and a very much custom hop profile to me i couldnt be disappointed with it tasting different to the original brew. I head to Perth next week so will be heading to one of these fabled brewshop you city slickers talk about 😂 . Glad i have 20kg luggage allowance lol 

1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah i will do this again and follow the shemsheet closer. However the fact it wasnt really a true "clone" and a very much custom hop profile to me i couldnt be disappointed with it tasting different to the original brew. I head to Perth next week so will be heading to one of these fabled brewshop you city slickers talk about 😂 . Glad i have 20kg luggage allowance lol 

Work out what hops you want, buy bulk with those you’d use most. See if you can set up a reliable courier service with the shop and inform others up your way may be interested in a bulk order as well if the service was good?

• Upvote 1

Yeah i will have a yarn to them when i go in . There are a few guys i know who do grain brewing so was gonna word them up to make a coalition and just buy sacks of the popular grain lol ( thats the costly stuff) . Hops are cheap and easy to get . 

And to your comment above you 100% correct with the cost vs reward. Punk IPA is a great beer and very sessionable , but the PHunk IPA was just as enjoyable and sessionable and cost maybe 30 dollars once i had hops and everything in to it . And that generous in assumption.

I spent 93 dollars on 12 beers last weekend which is 5 brewprints of the 17 dollar brews and i think i can make equvilent beers ( the laced RIS and the PHunk IPA to compare with those below) 

20200603_134838.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...