Woot! First brew - mountain IPA

dcm

17 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Kegged this one this morning. The dry hop filter worked flawlessly again.

The Droid lid was just as difficult to remove the second time. I’m cleaning up and prepping for the next brew this afternoon and I hope there’s not as much of a venting episode this time.

If you have any keg lube, smear a bit of it where the lid goes.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi Owen , Are you talking about carbonation bars or drops or dextrose sugar? Anyway they both go in the kegs or bottles, this can be done before or after filling with beer. I do after. Doesn't really matter.

Ahh I’m not entirely sure they are cylindrical small items in the brewprint box

2 hours ago, Owen Wakefield said:

Ahh I’m not entirely sure they are cylindrical small items in the brewprint box

Hi Owen and welcome.

The cylindrical items in the Brewprint box are the new format primer - previously these were liquid form in black twist top sachets.

The primer sticks are added to the kegs after you fill them with your completed brew.

If you're bottling instead then you will need carbonation drops. These can be purchased from the Brewart Store.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Hi Owen and welcome.

The cylindrical items in the Brewprint box are the new format primer - previously these were liquid form in black twist top sachets.

The primer sticks are added to the kegs after you fill them with your completed brew.

If you're bottling instead then you will need carbonation drops. These can be purchased from the Brewart Store.

Thanks Dustin! I clearly had no idea what they were for.

What creates the alcohol in the brew if no sugar is added? 

2 minutes ago, Owen Wakefield said:

Thanks Dustin! I clearly had no idea what they were for.

What creates the alcohol in the brew if no sugar is added? 

No worries. 

Those black packets marked with X that you add at the beginning of your brew are various forms of basic sugar. The yeast eats these and the byproduct is alcohol.

The sugar or primer added to your bottles or kegs instigates secondary fermentation to create carbon dioxide bubbles because no one likes a flat beer! 😁

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cracked the first keg tonight. 6 weeks secondary and 24 hours in the fridge beforehand.

First pours were a bit heady so will get a photo once it's settled a little and I can pour a decent looking beer.

This is a nice change after the Rapid River Ale which to be frank I found quite hard going; just a bit too boozy at 6 weeks. Even the wife commented that this is a beer she could drink quite a lot of.

It'll be great to see how the kegs mature further. Based on @Robert Pretty 's posts above I'd like to get into the second keg at 8 weeks but I'm starting to hit the sweet spot with brewing and maturing where they're all coming good in quick succession - a nice problem to have. So the second keg could end up sitting for a bit.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Put this one on again today. How could I not?Just look at the colour on that pint in the post above.

😍

I was keen to try to mountain, river, and west coast PA.  Sounds like river is less good than mountain. Reckon give it a miss?

12 minutes ago, J P said:

I was keen to try to mountain, river, and west coast PA.  Sounds like river is less good than mountain. Reckon give it a miss?

Only my opinion JP - I think the Mountain IPA is a awesome beer and I’ve got the West Coast PA in secondary at the moment so am looking forward to it soon. The Rapid River Ale was much better with more time (10 weeks secondary) so if you’re prepared to wait it’s worth a try. 

But really you can’t go wrong with any of these recipes. They’re all bloody good so I’d try them all at least once.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Only my opinion JP - I think the Mountain IPA is a awesome beer and I’ve got the West Coast PA in secondary at the moment so am looking forward to it soon. The Rapid River Ale was much better with more time (10 weeks secondary) so if you’re prepared to wait it’s worth a try. 

But really you can’t go wrong with any of these recipes. They’re all bloody good so I’d try them all at least once.

Beauty.   10 weeks secondary is a hard sell.   A second droid has allowed me to exceed production but now find myself in a predicament of a third droid en route and no more Kegs.    First World brewer problems.   LOL.  Seriously need more kegs so I can enter the realms of you legends with your multiple week secondary times.  Can’t wait!!🤤

• Haha 1