dcm

Woot! First brew - mountain IPA

Recommended Posts

dcm    69

It's only been 2 weeks since I bottled it but I had to try just ONE.  I put it in the fridge a few hours ago.

Not bad :-)

I think it needs more time - it wasn't as strong as I was expected for 7.5% abv and I think there is a faint sweetness suggesting some sugar is yet to get converted.  I'm not sure those pine and citrus notes are very strong right now.

BUT...

There is NONE of that curious "homebrew" whiff that has plagued previous efforts at brewing here in sweaty, summer QLD.  You know, that faint off note that suggests that just maybe somebody dropped a dead goldfish into the mix.

It tastes like a nice beer - a really nice beer.

I suspect in a couple of more weeks, it will taste better.

The photo is a little cloudy - it was the 2nd glass (I needed to drink the first one too badly to find a camera) and by then, I tipped in the bottom residue because it was too yummy to waste.

Ruby Porter went EOF today so I mixed in the hops and will bottle this one later in the week.

So far, so good!

 

beer_v1.0.jpg

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pursya    121

Cold crashed?

in the immortal words of the redhead......please explain?

and why would that process require additional time?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Craig Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this definition to explain cold crashing.

 

Cold Crashing is the process of rapidly dropping the temperature of your home brewed beer before carbonation. This is done to have yeast, proteins and other solids fall out of suspension resulting in a clearer beer and removing or reducing chill haze.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Deeks    140

The Mountain Range IPA looks very nice, I am going to have to get this BrewPrint in my next order and give it a try.

This is meant to be similar to the Sierra Nevada Torpedo which I tried recently which I really enjoyed as well so I am hoping this one is just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Banjo    66
23 hours ago, Colin Norris said:

Just a quick question... my Mountain IPA has gone over the 10 days estimated brew time. Is this normal?

Higher alcohol brews can take longer while the yeast works its way through the sugars.  My Baltic Porter took almost 17 days i think and that's a similar high abv brew.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcm    69

I should follow up with this and state that an extra couple of weeks in secondary has improved this markedly.

It's got WAY more bite to it now :-)

I fed some to my neighbour on Sunday (we often have a little street drink party on a Sunday) and he could not believe it was a home brew.

"It's an IPA" he said...  "A really nice IPA!"

Two weeks good, four weeks better...

I sneakily tried a ruby porter too yesterday but at 14 days, it's also still too green - a bit weak and slightly sweetish.  I gave the bottles a jiggle in their repose under the house and I'll try another on Friday.

I'm going to have to order some more bits because that IPA is disappearing smartly now.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brendan Ashe    29
On 1/30/2017 at 9:22 PM, Shane McDonnell said:

I found this definition to explain cold crashing.

 

Cold Crashing is the process of rapidly dropping the temperature of your home brewed beer before carbonation. This is done to have yeast, proteins and other solids fall out of suspension resulting in a clearer beer and removing or reducing chill haze.

Hey guys, brand new to Brewing but have been drinking it for more than half of my life. I think that a Glossary somewhere on here that would help out us Noobs with commonly used terms such as Cold Crashing above, would be really handy. Thoughts?

And I should be ready to keg my first Brew being the American Pale Ale, which I got with the system.

PS. There should be a link to this forum on the Brewart page. Apologies if there already is.

Cheers

Edited by Brendan Ashe
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Duffman    105
2 hours ago, Brendan Ashe said:

Hey guys, brand new to Brewing but have been drinking it for more than half of my life. I think that a Glossary somewhere on here that would help out us Noobs with commonly used terms such as Cold Crashing above, would be really handy. Thoughts?

And I should be ready to keg my first Brew being the American Pale Ale, which I got with the system.

PS. There should be a link to this forum on the Brewart page. Apologies if there already is.

Cheers

Ask and you shall receive - https://community.brewart.com/topic/85-community-glossary/

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcm    69

So I can tell you that 2 months secondary fermentation seems have been closer to the mark than two weeks.

It is a very nice IPA.  Very light for an IPA, not that strong and not much bouquet to it but still very smooth and very drinkable.

Just don't touch it at 2 weeks...

Having said that, I then moved on to a Pirate Life IPA which was by comparison, a taste explosion.  I'm starting to notice that the Brewprint flavours I have played with are not bold flavours.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Quinn    14

if I could recreate pirate life ipa using brew pints I would die a happy man. My next batch of IPA will be smashed with hops. I'm going to add hops in 3 seperate lots, 50g each time. I used 50g last time (25g galaxy and 25g cascade) and it is a little hoppy but not enough for my liking. Only tried a tester after 3 weeks and is still a little green. Not sure if I'll add any extra x5 or not 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dcm    69
On 24/04/2017 at 7:30 PM, Brad Quinn said:

if I could recreate pirate life ipa using brew pints I would die a happy man. My next batch of IPA will be smashed with hops. I'm going to add hops in 3 seperate lots, 50g each time. I used 50g last time (25g galaxy and 25g cascade) and it is a little hoppy but not enough for my liking. Only tried a tester after 3 weeks and is still a little green. Not sure if I'll add any extra x5 or not 

Interesting...  At what points are you adding your hops?  During fermentation?  I assume this is instead of the brewprint hop additive, not in addition to?  What form are you hops in?  I'd be interested to know how this goes and maybe if it works, try a similar trick.

 

Edited by dcm
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Quinn    14

I added 2 lots of hops, 25g of cascade and 25g of galaxy around halfway through fermentation (4-5 days in). Results were ok, not totally impressed. My next batch I will be adding a lot more hops, probably close to 150g, 3 different hop varieties.  I think I will make a low temperature hop tea of about 1 litre as I don't want to add any bitterness and add to the 9 litres to start with and then during fermentation I will add 30 to 40g in 3 seperate batches as i don't like leaving the pellets in to long. It is all trial and error but I like a hoppy beer and when you read the weight of hops brewers use, these amounts are quite low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now