The G-O-A-T Amber Ale

10 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

74493365-FBB1-44F0-BCC0-7684B02122F5.thumb.jpeg.e27a31ada9d67cb607a6a9059d793335.jpeg

Pleased to report that all my beers made it home ok. My bottle of sanitiser not so much . Glad I quadruple bagged it.

GOAT at 6 weeks secondary. What a great beer!

Hope I can get brewing again once we get a bit further with our unpacking.

And look at the state of that outdoor furniture! 😐

Yes, rates high this one. I have 10l waiting it’s turn for consumption, only a couple of weeks kegged so a few more yet.

Ps the rustic look of your outdoor suits the beer.

36 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Mine took 12days, so yours is on track.

Not really fussed to be honest, I know it will get there. In a good spot now with the brewing, bottles are starting to queue up aroung the 8-9 week mark so I can start to mix and match some brews whilst getting a session on. Still, by the way this one is going, may have to open a bottle of this after January to start guaging its progress.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

This is an exceptional amber ale, rated up there with the best.

I confess. Two weeks and a bit kegged and carbonated (by co2). In the fridge where it should sit for at least a week before consuming. However a taste today, just a taste has lead now to 3 x 560ml dimple mugs. Can one ever stop, can I change to another of the 3 kegs in the fridge? Some how I don’t think so, not today. 😁

44456BA5-BE89-4E10-B983-B0389AA063F0.thumb.jpeg.ab24aa499a1b704ab6ec61cebebf2678.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.169211a23068086b00a41de4de7f746d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 22/11/2020 at 7:55 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

I confess. Two weeks and a bit kegged and carbonated (by co2). In the fridge where it should sit for at least a week before consuming. However a taste today, just a taste has lead now to 3 x 560ml dimple mugs. Can one ever stop, can I change to another of the 3 kegs in the fridge? Some how I don’t think so, not today. 😁

44456BA5-BE89-4E10-B983-B0389AA063F0.thumb.jpeg.ab24aa499a1b704ab6ec61cebebf2678.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.169211a23068086b00a41de4de7f746d.jpg

Started GOAT as my 2nd all time brew 4 days ago and somewhat puzzled by the color (or lack there of).  Through the droid window it appears light like an IPA or pale ale.   Will it turn Amber with additional fermentation, conditioning, or dry hops?  My fermentation has also really slowed down compared to the Wicked Night...it’s barely bubbling in the window.   Just hoping something wasn’t left of out my brewprint as I threw the pouches away and memory isn’t good enough to check against the recipe now.  Will check what in the box against recipe in future but it may be OK? 

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

Started GOAT as my 2nd all time brew 4 days ago and somewhat puzzled by the color (or lack there of).  Through the droid window it appears light like an IPA or pale ale.   Will it turn Amber with additional fermentation, conditioning, or dry hops?  My fermentation has also really slowed down compared to the Wicked Night...it’s barely bubbling in the window.   Just hoping something wasn’t left of out my brewprint as I threw the pouches away and memory isn’t good enough to check against the recipe now.  Will check what in the box against recipe in future but it may be OK? 

Only 4 days in, it will develop, so no worries at this stage.🤗

2 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

One sip of the G-O-A-T and I’m anybodies.....

image.thumb.jpg.3ddfb3aa60d72ea8f4e24cb6b12d8d7e.jpg

😂😂😂😂
I’m sipping wicked night night right now watching US football but can’t wait for GOAT.  On day 7 now and it’s Ambering up.   Barely bubbling in window but still in fermentation mode.

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

😂😂😂😂
I’m sipping wicked night night right now watching US football but can’t wait for GOAT.  On day 7 now and it’s Ambering up.   Barely bubbling in window but still in fermentation mode.

Your on the football, I’m watching darts. Your sipping “wicked night”, I’m having a “goat”. What more do two guys want?

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Don’t know what went haywire but but my 2nd all time brewprint that I patiently waited for 3 weeks to tap and taste...😢🤮 tastes like an old locker room jock strap (analogy based on smell).   Terribly bitter and sour.  I’m OCD about sanitation and everything went per plan except the pellet hops turning to sawdust.  Very sad.  Played taps as I poured it into the septic tank.  Don’t know what I did wrong.  Just finished pineapple ale so fingers crossed.  My 1st, wicked night, was excellent.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Don’t know what went haywire but but my 2nd all time brewprint that I patiently waited for 3 weeks to tap and taste...😢🤮 tastes like an old locker room jock strap (analogy based on smell).   Terribly bitter and sour.  I’m OCD about sanitation and everything went per plan except the pellet hops turning to sawdust.  Very sad.  Played taps as I poured it into the septic tank.  Don’t know what I did wrong.  Just finished pineapple ale so fingers crossed.  My 1st, wicked night, was excellent.

What a bummer, however from what you say I’d suggest your not at fault but infected hops are the cause.

Where did you get them from?

5 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

What a bummer, however from what you say I’d suggest your not at fault but infected hops are the cause.

Where did you get them from?

Hello Cap

The pellet Hops were included with the brewprint I purchased here in the US a few months back.

Just thinking more...when fermentation completed and called for dry hopping, opening the droid, the brew smelled fresh and malty.  I sanitized the hop packets as a precaution, opened, and dumped pellets in.  After kegging and opened the droid to clean, there was a sour slightly sickening smell to the trub.  Just assumed it was typical for the dry hops but the trub from my pineapple Ale was dry hoped and smelled clean and piney.  So something either crawled in when I opened the droid for dry hopping or like you said, the hops pellets in my GOAt kit had COVID in them.

19 minutes ago, Andy said:

Just thinking more...when fermentation completed and called for dry hopping, opening the droid, the brew smelled fresh and malty.  I sanitized the hop packets as a precaution, opened, and dumped pellets in.  After kegging and opened the droid to clean, there was a sour slightly sickening smell to the trub.  Just assumed it was typical for the dry hops but the trub from my pineapple Ale was dry hoped and smelled clean and piney.  So something either crawled in when I opened the droid for dry hopping or like you said, the hops pellets in my GOAt kit had COVID in them.

From what you say, hops? However you state “  I sanitized the hop packets as a precaution..” what do you mean by this? And what did you use?

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

From what you say, hops? However you state “  I sanitized the hop packets as a precaution..” what do you mean by this? And what did you use?

Just sprayed the outside of the foil hop packets with  star San before opening and let drip dry...just in case I accidentally let the hop packet touch the inside of the droid when dumping the hop pellets inside.  I’m really OCD

10 hours ago, Andy said:

Just sprayed the outside of the foil hop packets with  star San before opening and let drip dry...just in case I accidentally let the hop packet touch the inside of the droid when dumping the hop pellets inside.  I’m really OCD

No problems with that.

Andy, just had a thought (happens sometimes). There may not be a problem. You state you kegged then opened the lid to the smell ect, well this may be just the natural smell from the trub, the krausen ring and the build up of gases in the droid. (makes sense). Particularly due to X2, a wheat malt. Perhaps next brew just taste a bit before kegging.

Cheers, Mark

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

No problems with that.

Andy, just had a thought (happens sometimes). There may not be a problem. You state you kegged then opened the lid to the smell ect, well this may be just the natural smell from the trub, the krausen ring and the build up of gases in the droid. (makes sense). Particularly due to X2, a wheat malt. Perhaps next brew just taste a bit before kegging.

Cheers, Mark

Thanks Mark...that’s my lesson learned.  Taste a small sample before wasting all the time kegging, maturing, and carbonating.  

Happy Holidays