Jolly Roger Pale Ale

I've just opened my first two Jolly Rogers which were the first brew I put through the droid and I suspect the lids weren't on properly - one with very little head, one totally flat. Using PET bottles and I guess I didn't properly screw them all on tight enough. Pretty frustrating but chalk it up to lesson learned. 

But otherwise - I also didn't love the taste? Just has a real homebrew twang to it. Could that have also been due to them being not sealed properly? They're right on 30 days so should I just shelve them for later in the month and see how they go with a bit more rest? 

• Sad 3

10 hours ago, Spuddy said:

I've just opened my first two Jolly Rogers which were the first brew I put through the droid and I suspect the lids weren't on properly - one with very little head, one totally flat. Using PET bottles and I guess I didn't properly screw them all on tight enough. Pretty frustrating but chalk it up to lesson learned. 

But otherwise - I also didn't love the taste? Just has a real homebrew twang to it. Could that have also been due to them being not sealed properly? They're right on 30 days so should I just shelve them for later in the month and see how they go with a bit more rest? 

If the PET bottles are carbonated then they would be solid/hard when squeezed. If not, open and put the sugar tabs in again and squeeze out the air when tightening the lid. Give an extra nip with pliers or multi grips.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Cracked my taster bottle of Jolly Roger yesterday at 25 days. I used 40g each of Centennial and Mosaic.

Slightly happier than if dry hopped as per the standard recipe and a little more bitterness.

Looking forward to the keg now as that was pretty good.

That should’ve read “hoppier” … lel

• 1 month later...

Still so nice and now I have a confession- for the first time in a droid fermentation I ended up with Pellicle, it had slight white webbing on the surface. As mention before this may not be the end of the brew. Smelt ok, tasted ok so I kegged leaving about 500ml making sure none of the “webb”went into the keg. 
Results speak for themselves, don’t always take ditching a brew as the ist option.

762EA066-CBDF-46C2-BAA0-39F3067F68EE.thumb.jpeg.4d35c144b991a56a9fc87b669fe49279.jpeg

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...