Jolly Roger Pale Ale

6 hours ago, Luke Smith said:

Thanks for the clarification @xpsTech! I was getting uneasy with the amount of time, I'll give them a call tomorrow when they open and see what the go is with it. 

Welcome to the forum Luke. xpsTech is right. I’ve done 2 Jolly Roger brews now and EOF took 11days each. Brewart Team will sort you out.

Cheers 

, Mark.

12 hours ago, xpsTech said:

I would strongly suggest you reach out to @BrewArt Team and they can check the BrewArt server logs and get an insight to what is going on

Thanks @xpsTech,

Hey @Luke Smith,

16 days for a Jolly Roger is definitely on the longer side. I'll shoot you a private message so we can check out your fermentation stats and go through some troubleshooting steps.

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Welcome to the forum Luke. xpsTech is right. I’ve done 2 Jolly Roger brews now and EOF took 11days each. Brewart Team will sort you out.

Cheers 

, Mark.

Wow, my first one was complete at 6 days, then 2 for dry hopping, 2 for the cold crash.

Did I leave out an ingredient or did you mean total brew time?

10 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Wow, my first one was complete at 6 days, then 2 for dry hopping, 2 for the cold crash.

Did I leave out an ingredient or did you mean total brew time?

11 days is from the droid being turned on until EOF notified. Sometimes brews just brew quicker than another batch, reason why the recipe BrewPint generally states a wide range in the fermentation days.

That’s ok, I just wondered if I’d missed something. I’m fairly meticulous when setting up a brew so doubt that I made an error but you never know.

Half the duration seems odd. Perhaps I had a very young yeast. The tap water temperature in Brisbane is much higher than Adelaide at this time of year so primary fermentation probably got going pretty quickly.

Either way, other than being a bit foamy the first keg was great. I’m looking forward to the second keg when my gear arrives down south.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

I really want to know if it did get to EOF or at least add the hops today

Hey Rob, if you are running a lager or a cooler ale program, wait for the temperature ramping notification, then the "add hops"  notification will come three days later with the P017 firmware.

Edited by xpsTech
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey guys, Liam got in touch with me very quickly and I think the the issue has been identified (My bad, I didn't place the droid on the correct surface so most likely messing with the sensors). As I've already added the hops, I'm cancelling the program, cold crashing it and then bottling in 48 hours! I will let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

BEDB7719-9A25-4224-AE3B-C1F548FEE88E.thumb.jpeg.2300e3f3981d2b2e3afd49b3f51aaae1.jpeg

Drinking really nicely now at 8 weeks. I think this could be the sweet spot for this ale. Very refreshing on a hot Adelaide evening.

I’ve got the ingredients for another go at this recipe and might up the hops a little (1.5 x the standard recipe) for some extra kick.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

BEDB7719-9A25-4224-AE3B-C1F548FEE88E.thumb.jpeg.2300e3f3981d2b2e3afd49b3f51aaae1.jpeg

Drinking really nicely now at 8 weeks. I think this could be the sweet spot for this ale. Very refreshing on a hot Adelaide evening.

I’ve got the ingredients for another go at this recipe and might up the hops a little (1.5 x the standard recipe) for some extra kick.

Your so right, 8 weeks, what a ripper. I’m happy with the 20g of mosaic and 20g cascade. Dry hopped 3 days until ready to keg. 

image.thumb.jpg.b4050bed65a99aabb7560177686262d7.jpg

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Put this one on again tonight. As per my comments here last time and my notes, 8 weeks is the sweet spot for secondary fermentation and I’ll up the hops. 

Looking forward to another Pale Ale. If we have a warm April here in Radelaide this one will work nicely before it’s time for the darks.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I had a mate over for a beer this afternoon.

He’s tried a few of mine now and after a couple he asked me a little about this one and whether I had come up the recipe myself or if it was from a canned extract.

I told him it was a supplied recipe made from dried ingredients and that I’d doubled up on the dried hops pellets for some extra zing.

”Oh, you know it’s really nice. It tastes like that Pirate Life Pale Ale in the blue can.”

Great success!! 😎

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Love the idea on doubling up. 

ive just done an IPA and double dosed the dry hops with simcoe in one batch and doubled the dose for a 50/50 of Amarillo/mosaic (copying the hazy daze by garage project) and can’t wait to see what these will smell and taste like.  

did a lot of blind sniffing and smelling and mucking around and gotta say.  Simcoe definately lives up to “dank” often stated.  And I predict the Amarillo/mosaic blend is gonna rock!!!

also bought a bag of Bravo from the shop to try but after smelling and tasting it I actually just threw it and Amarillo/mosaic dry hopped the English pub draught.  Probably sacrilege but to hell with it.  ITS MY PUB, and I’ll do as I like 🤣. Let the hops phase of my learning experience roll!!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 29/04/2021 at 8:58 PM, J P said:

Love the idea on doubling up. 

ive just done an IPA and double dosed the dry hops with simcoe in one batch and doubled the dose for a 50/50 of Amarillo/mosaic (copying the hazy daze by garage project) and can’t wait to see what these will smell and taste like.  

did a lot of blind sniffing and smelling and mucking around and gotta say.  Simcoe definately lives up to “dank” often stated.  And I predict the Amarillo/mosaic blend is gonna rock!!!

also bought a bag of Bravo from the shop to try but after smelling and tasting it I actually just threw it and Amarillo/mosaic dry hopped the English pub draught.  Probably sacrilege but to hell with it.  ITS MY PUB, and I’ll do as I like 🤣. Let the hops phase of my learning experience roll!!

I can confirm the Amarillo Mosaic blend is an absolute smasher!!! Definitely impressed me and a few mates.   Highly recommend.   

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Just shy of 10 weeks this is certainly a ripper, I dry hop the three recommendations (the “D’s and the H), 15g each of amarillo, Galaxy and mosaic. Great compo.

B66BC1C5-FCA2-4F0F-AAF0-17EC616A9CA8.thumb.jpeg.05255d2dc3696ef136f2496015ff7893.jpeg

GAM is written on lots of bottles and kegs (Galaxy Amarillo Mosaic) and now some GAMS (+Simcoe) 👍🏼

• Upvote 1