Jolly Roger Pale Ale

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Don’t forget to update to P017 firmware. Are you using the new dry hop method?

Will do.

Have done a bit of a combination on this brew as it was started on firmware P016. Dry hopping again now for 48 hours then will cold crash. Will use the new Dry Hop filter to keg.

Will use the new method with the notifications on the Jolly Roger.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Blast, just finished the keg of the “Jolly” and jolly it was. A delicious pale ale, I dry hopped with 15g each of cascade and mosaic by hop bomb using the BrewPrint dry hop recommendations of D1 & D8 rather than the suggested H1. Putting it down again very soon.

From my review 

A Citrus on Me Shoulder... 

Nearly 5 weeks kegged, I have to say another top drop. The cascade and mosaic hops work an absolute treat. (I did dry hop using a hop ball rather than the hop program/filter etc however no major differences.) Great citrus taste, lingering subtle bitterness. If you like the XPA, the Session Ale then you’ll love this. Sometimes it’s thought basically same ingredients as something else, but it’s the yeast and hops that make those changes.

E608F528-7651-4422-9BAF-8A3CEF54F920.thumb.jpeg.ec5d26a75367239fd84aba228b1b50a6.jpeg

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

8DDBF73D-B5B2-4291-9518-F976198AF133.thumb.jpeg.5b6f8e022758dbf4cb05883b2468aec6.jpeg

Tapped the first keg at 34 days secondary.

This is a really nice ale. It’s not quite the flavour profile I thought it would be. I’ll be interested to see what the second keg tastes like at closer to 8 weeks.

A refreshing warm weather beer. The wife and I are enjoying it on our on balcony watching the storms roll through Brisbane on my last weekend here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Tapped the first keg at 34 days secondary.

This is a really nice ale. It’s not quite the flavour profile I thought it would be. I’ll be interested to see what the second keg tastes like at closer to 8 weeks.

A refreshing warm weather beer. The wife and I are enjoying it on our on balcony watching the storms roll through Brisbane on my last weekend here.

Looks very nice.

This was my first brew and was kegged yesterday.  Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

“.........even packing moving boxes is somewhat enjoyable” if you think that then you haven’t had enough of that nice looking Jolly Roger.😂

I'm trying to work out if I should keg the XPA that is finishing tonight or wait until the morning.

I may have to wait. I think there's one more pint left in the keg and then it'll almost be time for a nap. 😴

Hey all, 

So, I have started my first brew and used the Jolly Roger Pale Ale brew print. The guide is 7-10 days brewing.  It detected start of fermentation within 12 hours, however, there was no movement on it after. I added dry hops myself at 9 days (no notification yet). At 13 days, it gave me the notification that it was ramping up the temperature to mop up any remaining yeast. The temp was increased from 16 degrees to 17. 

It is currently sitting at 15 days, 17 hours and no further notifications. Not even to add the hops. My question is should I ramp the temp up more to try to get it moving, or just wait until 20 days and manually test for EOF? Any advice would be appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Luke Smith said:

Hey all, 

So, I have started my first brew and used the Jolly Roger Pale Ale brew print. The guide is 7-10 days brewing.  It detected start of fermentation within 12 hours, however, there was no movement on it after. I added dry hops myself at 9 days (no notification yet). At 13 days, it gave me the notification that it was ramping up the temperature to mop up any remaining yeast. The temp was increased from 16 degrees to 17. 

It is currently sitting at 15 days, 17 hours and no further notifications. Not even to add the hops. My question is should I ramp the temp up more to try to get it moving, or just wait until 20 days and manually test for EOF? Any advice would be appreciated.  

Nothing surer than after creating a thread asking for advice on why a brew hasn't reached EOF than it reaching it the next day

• Like 1