Belgian Lager

Pursya

• 2 months later...

What a beautiful day. After 5 months of what can only be termed shiweather, we had a near full sunshine day of 21 degrees ( great because we have been doing a bit of single digit stuff) so spring, gardening, there was a concert just down the road...pretty good music too and then a glass of the Belgian 8 weeks in at 4.30pm to sit there and admire the garden and the beer.

Day gets topped off going to the Little Ripper brewery for dinner tonight. Have found out a bit about the owner of Little Ripper and he started out doing kits and kilos so if I get a chance to chat to him tonight, might see if I can set up a Q and A for thsi forum...and make him try one of my beers :)

• Haha 1

The last couple of these that I've had kicking around have been a notably darker colour and the flavour's been nothing special. Plus the carb has been a bit less. Putting these things together I think this was during my phase of overtightening the pet caps which I suspect deforms them a little on the bottle and is more likely to allow air leaks and oxidation.

Hard to get a level comparison, but (unpopular opinion alert!) I think I like the Mönch better. I've had a Bohemian on storage for about 4 weeks because life got busy and I went on holiday (should always bottle before a 2 week holiday so you've got something freshly carbed to try when you get home, but ah well) so I'll see what the comparison there is. I've got a Deutsch and a Lion City on the shelf too to brew later and see what I think about them. I'll need to do a Neder too at some point.

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...

My bride came home with a 6-pack of Stella Artois the other day, a beer I hadn't had in several years. After locating my Stella chalices, I poured us a couple, and after my first sip I knew I had to do a comparison. My first batch of the Belgian Lager was almost 6 weeks into conditioning and I hadn't sampled it in almost a month. Well, I'll tell you, it isn't an exact clone, but it is close, friends, very close! 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @Rob Courtney @Captain 3 Droids   @Thagomizer!

I just got my new replacement droid back from Brewart and brewed up a Belgian Lager. It finished up a day ago around day 8 and is in ready to keg mode. I am working on getting my kegerator switched over to a full QD system with evabarrier so I don’t want to let just yet. Would you suggest keeping it in keg mode or putting it into storage mode in the meantime?

15 hours ago, Maverick33 said:

Hey @Rob Courtney @Captain 3 Droids   @Thagomizer!

I just got my new replacement droid back from Brewart and brewed up a Belgian Lager. It finished up a day ago around day 8 and is in ready to keg mode. I am working on getting my kegerator switched over to a full QD system with evabarrier so I don’t want to let just yet. Would you suggest keeping it in keg mode or putting it into storage mode in the meantime?

storage

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Maverick33 said:

Appreciate it. I know it’s a noob question but I am, in fact, a noob. I’ll post when I pour my first pint.

Thinking about doing the wicked night pumpkin ale next….

We all start at the beginning and we all end up sharing what we have learned.

No question is too silly, better to ask and feel confident than not and have a brew go wrong. Ask anytime someone will always answer.

I have seen some very good reviews of the Pumpkin Ale, the Americans on this board loved it, be keen to hear what you think.

• Like 1

On 23/8/2023 at 12:40 AM, Rob Courtney said:

We all start at the beginning and we all end up sharing what we have learned.

No question is too silly, better to ask and feel confident than not and have a brew go wrong. Ask anytime someone will always answer.

I have seen some very good reviews of the Pumpkin Ale, the Americans on this board loved it, be keen to hear what you think.

I’ll be sure to share my journey with the pumpkin ale once I get it started!

Has anyone used Biofine Clear or Silafine to clarify their lagers? Just curious what kind of results have been achieved and whether is was added to the droid prior to kegging or the keg itself…

On 30/08/2023 at 5:55 AM, Maverick33 said:

I’ll be sure to share my journey with the pumpkin ale once I get it started!

Has anyone used Biofine Clear or Silafine to clarify their lagers? Just curious what kind of results have been achieved and whether is was added to the droid prior to kegging or the keg itself…

Haven't used either of those, were you thinking of using those to make your beer clearer?

4 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Haven't used either of those, were you thinking of using those to make your beer clearer?

Yeah, I added it to the droid, following the instructions, a couple days ago and noticed no improvement. I’m going to add a little more to the transfer tube when racking to a keg on Tuesday or Wednesday (when my kegerator will be finished).

I’m just hoping that the beer sitting on the yeast and sediment for ~23 days won’t cause any harm.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just poured my first Belgian and while it’s not perfect, it’s definitely the best home brew I’ve ever made (not saying much haha).

The initial taste is reminiscent of Stella with a hint of orange but the finish is a tad thin and could use more bitterness.

With that said, I also had a co2 leak that resulted in my beer sitting without it for 36-48 hours. Possibly oxidized a bit?

I started ferment on 08/12 so it’s just past a month at this point and I’m hoping it will improve over time.

The Wicked Pumpkin Ale is going in the droid Sunday!

Happy Brewing!

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Maverick33 said:

Hey all,

Just poured my first Belgian and while it’s not perfect, it’s definitely the best home brew I’ve ever made (not saying much haha).

The initial taste is reminiscent of Stella with a hint of orange but the finish is a tad thin and could use more bitterness.

With that said, I also had a co2 leak that resulted in my beer sitting without it for 36-48 hours. Possibly oxidized a bit?

I started ferment on 08/12 so it’s just past a month at this point and I’m hoping it will improve over time.

The Wicked Pumpkin Ale is going in the droid Sunday!

Happy Brewing!

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

Pretty jealous of the set up, looks great

• 1 month later...