Not Stirring Ingredients

Hello all...just purchased a droid and started my first brew.  After piling up all the ingredients on top of the water surface, closing the lid, and hitting start...How does all this get mixed up?  Looking through the sight glass after 10 hours and the dry ingredients are still heaped up on top.

thanks 

12 minutes ago, Andy said:

Hello all...just purchased a droid and started my first brew.  After piling up all the ingredients on top of the water surface, closing the lid, and hitting start...How does all this get mixed up?  Looking through the sight glass after 10 hours and the dry ingredients are still heaped up on top.

thanks 

Hi Andy, the ingredients do sink and dissolve whilst the yeast “eats” the sugar. You should not see the top through the sight glass as such but you could be seeing fermentation activity, called krausen.

I would suggest all is ok. You put the yeast in first?

Cheers Mark

Hey Mark

thanks for the reply and after sanitizing and filling with water...I did sprinkle the yeast pouch in first.  Just seemed the 6 pouches of dry ingredients were destined to float on top but sounds like they will sink over time.  Had to fight every instinct to open the thing up and stir

35 minutes ago, Andy said:

Hey Mark

thanks for the reply and after sanitizing and filling with water...I did sprinkle the yeast pouch in first.  Just seemed the 6 pouches of dry ingredients were destined to float on top but sounds like they will sink over time.  Had to fight every instinct to open the thing up and stir

It is hard not to open/stir at first until you get some confidence but these units are the best. Never stir the ingredients, I just cut the corner off the pouch top and gently pour over the yeast and water surface. 6 pouches does take a while but things will be happening.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Hey Mark

Yes, definitely don't stir the ingredients, though you can gently rib them, mock them even take the piss out of them but don't stir them. Just relax Andy, you've done the hard part, you have pushed the button, the droid will take it from here :)

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

It is hard not to open/stir at first until you get some confidence but these units are the best. Never stir the ingredients, I just cut the corner off the pouch top and gently pour over the yeast and water surface. 6 pouches does take a while but things will be happening.

Yes the temptation to stir is high but can be over come in time.

Not stirring has the benefit of allowing the yeast to propagate more efficiently into the lower SG wort with the small amount of sugar and nutrients that have dissolved. They say you should never pitch yeast into a high OG wort and recommend using a starter, not stirring is effectively the same as pitching into a starter.

Once the yeast cells multiply and fermentation really gets going, the floating ingredients will dissolve in no time!

So to re-iterate the other members comments, don't stir (or even mildly mock 😉) trust the droid Andy!

Edited by xpsTech
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with all, what you were looking at may have been a krausen layer, however after 10 hours it is unlikely on that particular brew.

The yeast will find the malt and feast!

I know as a brewer of over 30 years , we were always taught to stir and dissolve all ingredients. Now I dont give it a second thought and neither will you with time. 

Keep asking questions on here mate Captain 3 Droids is top notch and is always quick with reliable advise.

Enjoy the journey!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...