RUBY PORTER

Brad Quinn

• 2 months later...

Yes.  I've made two batches of this and both times the 'droid puked.  No complaints though, that's fermentation for you.

Usual advice on this one: FORGET the advice about 2 weeks minimum secondary fermentation, try SIX weeks...

It's a nice beer but to me it's barely a porter.  It's very thin without much mouth feel.  

Still quite drinkable and I'll make it again but I'm wondering what I could add to make it a chewier porter.

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...

This is now at 5 weeks for me . The flavor is really nice , i agree that its a thin Porter and I have nice carbonation but struggles to pour a head ( better then too heady I guess lol) . 

This will likely move into a daily driver for me , its a very easy drink 

9 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

This is now at 5 weeks for me . The flavor is really nice , i agree that its a thin Porter and I have nice carbonation but struggles to pour a head ( better then too heady I guess lol) . 

This will likely move into a daily driver for me , its a very easy drink 

Easy drinking certainly has its pluses, being “thin” as also reported by others may needs to be looked at for improvement.

7 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Easy drinking certainly has its pluses, being “thin” as also reported by others may needs to be looked at for improvement.

I reckon 250g of maltodextrin will fix the “thinness”. Maltodextrin does not change the flavour, is basically non fermentable therefore not changing the alcohol %, adds body and mouthfeel to beers. Coopers use it in their enhances, often an addition to beer recipes, used in the food world as a thickening agent. Generally corn based (corn starch) and not expensive at brew shops.

I’d give it a go in this on. (I often used it in many kit recipes)

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Still looks a treat. It’s a bugger when you enjoy a good drop and then it’s all gone.

Does give me more motivation to do it again . I will say will do the English Bitter or Irish Red first ( or both) . Just so I can help pick a daily driver, and motivation to buy a second droid lol

16 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Does give me more motivation to do it again . I will say will do the English Bitter or Irish Red first ( or both) . Just so I can help pick a daily driver, and motivation to buy a second droid lol

That’s the spirit and you can get it on zip pay if you wish for a bugger all monthly fee. Do the English Bitter, Liam’s corrective recipe. I say this because it’s good easy during, not high in alcohol so you can drink a few without having to ask where you are🤡

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Liams corrective recipe , should I search this page 😄 . I just think a 17 dollar beer is something I should invest in lol. Yeah just waiting on this RIS to come out put the IPA in and I am doing an order 🙂

I think it would be good to read the article in :-

English Bitter - Coopers tin to Brewprint

In search just type in English Bitter. (found under main topic - Brewing Using Brewprints )

Edited by Barrelboy

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...