Customized brews (outside of the brewprints.....)

I have only done five gallon batches prior to getting my droid recently.  I have a five gallon kit leftover and hope to be able to use it in the beer droid, by cutting the recipe in half.  Has anyone done this, or will this be difficult.  The kit is for a basic ale.

I know I will love the brewprints butI don't want to let this kit go to waste.

6 hours ago, Larry Ahles said:

I have only done five gallon batches prior to getting my droid recently.  I have a five gallon kit leftover and hope to be able to use it in the beer droid, by cutting the recipe in half.  Has anyone done this, or will this be difficult.  The kit is for a basic ale.

I know I will love the brewprints butI don't want to let this kit go to waste.

Hi Larry and welcome to the forum, all friendly here so enjoy.

Yes you can, cut the recipe in half but mix it as you normally do before putting into the droid then sprinkle the yeast on top. There is a thread on this,  “Brewing using Coopers cans.” Under the main topic heading “BeerDroid General”. Keep the remaining tin contents in the fridge, best in a plastic bag.

Cheers 

• Thanks 1

Mangrove Jacks Raspberry Berliner Weisse.  Did it cuz there’s no brewprint for this.  

tell ya what.  It’s a great drop for those of you who like Berliner Weisse and sours and raspberries.  

In fact I was inspired by Boatrockers Raspberry Berliner Weisse.  

and... it’s better.   A LOT better.  Grabs your tongue with a raspberry sour finish but with malt undertones 

1B113743-3855-4F56-8A1A-98669B7B9B2B.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2021 at 4:16 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hi Larry and welcome to the forum, all friendly here so enjoy.

Yes you can, cut the recipe in half but mix it as you normally do before putting into the droid then sprinkle the yeast on top. There is a thread on this,  “Brewing using Coopers cans.” Under the main topic heading “BeerDroid General”. Keep the remaining tin contents in the fridge, best in a plastic bag.

Cheers 

Thank you so much!  I will look that up and give it a try.   I have actually never used Coopers five gallon recipes yet.  I have used only Midwest Brewing and a few other kits I can  find closer to me.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 27/04/2021 at 12:41 AM, Larry Ahles said:

Thank you so much!  I will look that up and give it a try.   I have actually never used Coopers five gallon recipes yet.  I have used only Midwest Brewing and a few other kits I can  find closer to me.  

Hi Larry, how’s your brewing going? Did halving the kit work out ok?

On 19/09/2021 at 8:04 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Another (last one) of blessed Father’s Day- just put into 2 droids 1/2 of the BrewCraft Sunset Session Ale kit. Made up 10l of BrewCraft Golden Ale 1.7kg, Liquid Amber Malt 1.7kg, and tip 5l into each Droid. Topped up to 10l then added half of the M36 yeast. Will dry hop 1/2 of the Amarillo hops on day 5.

With dry hopping I decided to add (7.5g) of Amarillo as per the recipe to one Droid and add the other 7.5g with 10g of eclipse and 7.5g of Huell Melon for something difference in the other one. The interesting thing is the recipe called for and supplied only 15g of Amarillo for a 23l batch, which normally is not a lot.

11 hours ago, T D said:

I’m thinking of experimenting with the brew print for German Weissbier but exchanging the yeast for a philly sour yeast packet.

(https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/canada/product-details/wildbrew-philly-sour/)

has anyone had any success with this or think it would work with this brewprint?

Haven’t done myself but can’t see why it wouldn’t work with Weissbier

On 19/09/2021 at 8:04 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Another (last one) of blessed Father’s Day- just put into 2 droids 1/2 of the BrewCraft Sunset Session Ale kit. Made up 10l of BrewCraft Golden Ale 1.7kg, Liquid Amber Malt 1.7kg, and tip 5l into each Droid. Topped up to 10l then added half of the M36 yeast. Will dry hop 1/2 of the 15g Amarillo hops on day 5.

Kegged today, 12 days to EOF. Hop aroma surprisingly noticeable for such a small amount however it was in there for 7 days.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 8:41 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Just put down a Mr Beer - Hop Bomb (USA double IPA).

Tin (1.3kg) of Mr Beer Diablo IPA, 250g of light dry malt extract, Y1 yeast, 10l and not 8.5l per recipe. Recipe at 6.5% however with 10l suspect about 5.7%. Will dry hop day 4 with 25g Citra and 25g of Magnum (a good substitute in lieu of Bravo). Did this a few years ago before the Droids and did enjoy.

@Wazza_wantsbeerin another post reminded me of this brew, thanks Wazza.

Are you drinking this one yet C3D?

Did you add any extra dextrose to get the higher ABV of a IIPA as a IIPA would normally be 8-9.5% ABV?

This style is right up my alley and I'll be eagerly waiting on your next update.

Btw, pulled the trigger on a purchase of my first BeerDroid.

Purchased through Harvey Norman as we had a stack of points plus a $400 voucher so it was basically less than 1/3 the price in the end.

They are showing no stock but as stock is now back in at BrewArt, I'm hoping it won't be long before it arrives.

20 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

Are you drinking this one yet C3D?

Did you add any extra dextrose to get the higher ABV of a IIPA as a IIPA would normally be 8-9.5% ABV?

This style is right up my alley and I'll be eagerly waiting on your next update.

Btw, pulled the trigger on a purchase of my first BeerDroid.

Purchased through Harvey Norman as we had a stack of points plus a $400 voucher so it was basically less than 1/3 the price in the end.

They are showing no stock but as stock is now back in at BrewArt, I'm hoping it won't be long before it arrives.

Haven’t tried it yet, only 8 days since kegged so will be waiting a few weeks before consuming. Needs to mature a bit, waiting is that hard once you have built up stocks.

No didn’t add any dextrose, personally not a fan of it, believe it can be part responsible for that “home brew tang” with kit brews. If extra % required I’d add extra malt.

Great you’ve ordered the BeerDroid, they are great, push Harvey Norman on a delivery date.
Cheers

• Like 1

On 10/9/21 at 7:54 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Bless Father’s Day, received a Mangrove Jack’s Irish Red pouch with 1.2kg of liquid light malt. Included yeast M15 and Golding hops. I mixed up the ingredients and split into 2 Droids that were kegged and idle within a day of each other. Split the yeast and will dry hop on day 4 as fermentation eases.

On 10/9/21 at 7:54 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Bless Father’s Day, received a Mangrove Jack’s Irish Red pouch with 1.2kg of liquid light malt. Included yeast M15 and Golding hops. I mixed up the ingredients and split into 2 Droids that were kegged and idle within a day of each other. Split the yeast and will dry hop on day 4 as fermentation eases.

At nearly 7 weeks not a bad drop but I really don’t like the roasted after taste of the malt, got rid of this by 3/4 Irish red and 1/4 English Pub Draught. However will leave a few more weeks to see how it matures, which it should do (I think)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/21 at 8:11 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Just put down a Mr Beer - Hop Bomb (USA double IPA).

Tin (1.3kg) of Mr Beer Diablo IPA, 250g of light dry malt extract, Y1 yeast, 10l and not 8.5l per recipe. Recipe at 6.5% however with 10l suspect about 5.7%. Will dry hop day 4 with 25g Citra and 25g of Magnum (a good substitute in lieu of Bravo). Did this a few years ago before the Droids and did enjoy.

@Wazza_wantsbeerin another post reminded me of this brew, thanks Wazza.

Well some brews you may say great or terrific, top drop etc but some you just say “wow”. Beautiful creamy head, full flavour supported by a real enjoyable hop hit. So enjoyable at 4 weeks. I’m going to ask Liam, @BrewArt Team if he could give me the Mr Beer Diablo IPA equivalent in BrewArt ingredients. 
Appreciate Liam

F2A684C1-F9BC-4762-BC69-1814A253D812.thumb.jpeg.d3edb0108fdbe63801925aa7aa295094.jpeg4EC211CC-1F08-4B87-92C6-EB26B1B46367.thumb.jpeg.21e8dbd5fbc57e45145f8146cc23f74c.jpeg
@Wazza_wantsbeer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Looking good @Captain 3 Droids ,

That glass lacing is impeccable!

Unfortunately the IBU on the Diablo is so high (72 IBU) that we cannot get to the right colour (29.9 EBC) to match the bitterness and ABV (4.1% ABV). it's a juggling game!

The closest you'll get is 4 x E2, this will get you the correct EBC and ABV, but you'll need to supplement the bitterness with a couple of E5 which will increase the ABV. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers

1 minute ago, BrewArt Team said:

Looking good @Captain 3 Droids ,

That glass lacing is impeccable!

Unfortunately the IBU on the Diablo is so high (72 IBU) that we cannot get to the right colour (29.9 EBC) to match the bitterness and ABV (4.1% ABV). it's a juggling game!

The closest you'll get is 4 x E2, this will get you the correct EBC and ABV, but you'll need to supplement the bitterness with a couple of E5 which will increase the ABV. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers

Thanks, only one way to find out. Will let you know.

As usual, quick response. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BrewArt Team said:

Thanks @Captain 3 Droids ,

At the end of the day, you'll still have a delicious beer.

Please let us know how it turns out. 

Cheers

Will let you know and “it will be a delicious beer”  as I’ve said before “give us a BrewPrint that’s crap” so we have something to complain about.

• Haha 2

I'm getting everything ready to brew the following as a take on a New England style IPA:

• E5 x 3, X2 x 3, Lallemand Brewing New England American East Coast Ale Yeast, Mosaic and Citra hop pellets.
  • Add 2 x X2 to 4 Litres of water and bring to the boil.
  • Add 15g Mosaic and cool to 85C
  • Add 30g Citra and 20g Mosaic. Infuse with lid on for 30 minutes
  • Cool wort to approx. 21C and strain into BeerDroid. Top up to 10 Litres with water.
  • Add dry yeast, E5 x 3, X2 x 1
  • Set custom brew profile: Propagate 21C, Ferment 18C, Dry Hop, Keg 18C, Store 4C
  • Manually adjust fermentation temperature to the following schedule:
    • 18C for 2 days
    • 19C for 1 day
    • 20C until EOF
  • Dry hop Citra 35g, Mosaic 50g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

On 06/11/2021 at 3:30 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

I'm getting everything ready to brew the following as a take on a New England style IPA:

• E5 x 3, X2 x 3, Lallemand Brewing New England American East Coast Ale Yeast, Mosaic and Citra hop pellets.
  • Cool wort to approx. 21C and strain into BeerDroid. Top up to 10 Litres with water.
  • Set custom brew profile: Propagate 21C, Ferment 18C, Dry Hop, Keg 18C, Store 4C
    • 18C for 2 days
    • 19C for 1 day
    • 20C until EOF

I got this one done tonight. Did the mini infusion on the gas stove in a 10 litre stockpot by very slowly bringing the mixture to a boil stirring occasionally. A good quality digital food grade thermometer made this relatively simple and accurate. 

I sanitised some aluminium foil and covered the pot with it and then added the lid during the hops infusion. After 30 minutes I chilled the pot in the laundry sink filled with ice cubes and cold water.

It wasn't difficult getting only 4 litres of wort down from 85 to 21C relatively quickly.

Then I strained it into the droid and topped up with 6 litres of water. Yeast and remainder of ingredients in.

Other than being extra careful with sanitation, the only tricky thing with this brew will be remembering to manually adjust the fermentation schedule as per the instructions above.

Fingers crossed it turns out ok.

• Like 2

On 06/11/2021 at 4:00 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

• 18C for 2 days
    • 19C for 1 day
    • 20C until EOF

Will be watching this one very closely @Dustin Frothman

NEIPAs, as I've previously mentioned, are one of my absolute favourite beer styles. I have the All Inn Brewing FWK there ready to go next (by halving the 15 litres FWK then adding 2.5 litres water), also using the Lellemand American East Coast Ale Yeast plus 25 grams each of Azacca, Sabro and El Dorado hops.

However, if we can make a good New England using (mostly) BrewArt ingredients then I am all in on this.

Good luck and please keep us updated regularly  😃

6 hours ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

NEIPAs, as I've previously mentioned, are one of my absolute favourite beer styles. I have the All Inn Brewing FWK there ready to go next (by halving the 15 litres FWK then adding 2.5 litres water), also using the Lellemand American East Coast Ale Yeast plus 25 grams each of Azacca, Sabro and El Dorado hops.

However, if we can make a good New England using (mostly) BrewArt ingredients then I am all in on this.

You'll get a great result with the All Inn FWK. I note that another Droid user in Brisbane that contributes to the Facebook group had a lot of success with it.

I'll let you know how mine goes. I didn't make a yeast starter as per the Lallemand packet instructions. I watched a few things on YouTube from Cellardwellars Homebrew and the bloke there mentioned a some studies that have shown it really doesn't make much difference to yeast performance. Interestingly though, fermentation has been a lot slower to get going on this brew than any others I've done with a Coopers/Brewart yeast.

For a juicy style NEIPA you'd probably need to steep or mash some oats. I'll probably try one of those shortly too as I'm getting into some mini-mash / partial mash / pimped-up extract brews too. Having more than one Droid really opens up the possibilities for experiments.

But yeah I agree. The Brewart ingredients are of such high quality and performance that if you can get as close as possible to your favourite styles with them then it's a no-brainer which to use. I've certainly found a few standard Brewart recipes so far: Coopers XPA, Mountain Range IPA, Jolly Roger Pale Ale and custom recipes like the Pirate Life IPA and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, that I plan to brew on a regular rotation.

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/21 at 11:21 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Kegged today, 12 days to EOF. Hop aroma surprisingly noticeable for such a small amount however it was in there for 7 days.

Well at 7 weeks thought I’d have a go at the “sampler”. (Test before the other kegged 20l).

The Amarillo hops are nicely there, nice drop and enjoyable and easy drinking. Wouldn’t brew again however as they say “never look a gift horse in the mouth” not been a big fan of Mangrove Jack’s brews, Coopers have spoilt me, that’s for sure.

C0B950BB-65E2-4608-9CA7-7D8E6445D004.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1