I have just joined the big boys

Robert Pretty

Hi

I am now a big boy like @Captain 3 Droids , @Dustin Frothman, @Wazza_wantsbeer and @J P. Beer on tap.

I picked up the his Kegerator. So I have lots of questions. 

I have a All Star IPA ready to keg.

1. What's the best way to get it from the droid to the keg. (corny). Can I just open the lid and use the tube from the droid to fill?

2. Do you still use the carbonation bars? After filling do I need to purge the keg with Co2 ? What pressure? 

3. I need to get new beer lines and fittings. Suggestions? 

4. Hooking up to drink? Beer line one post, gas the other? What pressure?

5. Cleaning kegs what's the best way?

6. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks guy's appreciate getting this set up right. 

ad_1651178161483.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi

I am now a big boy like @Captain 3 Droids , @Dustin Frothman, @Wazza_wantsbeer and @J P. Beer on tap.

1. What's the best way to get it from the droid to the keg. (corny). Can I just open the lid and use the tube from the droid to fill?

2. Do you still use the carbonation bars? After filling do I need to purge the keg with Co2 ? What pressure? 

ad_1651178161483.jpg

Top stuff Robert. Lot of questions so I’ll start.

1) you can fill the keg basically two ways, open lid (as I do) and closed lid sealed transfer. Have a read of “Transferring from Droid to Stainless kegs” in main topic “Kegging from the BeerDroid”.  Note= you can use a smaller diameter tube that goes inside the tap spout with the open method rather than the large one as I do. The closed sealed transfer is the better method.

https://community.brewart.com/topic/803-transferring-from-droid-to-stainless-kegs/

2) you can use the carbonation bars to get rid of stock (Dustin did) however the Co2 is there to be used. Yes you must purge the keg after filling, I do it at 30psi however 10/12 psi is ok. 

That should get you started, I’ll leave others for comments, have kegerators.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi

Welcome to the club @Robert Pretty, you won't regret your decision.

I'll have a crack at answering your questions and I'm sure others will also.

1. Depending on beer style, the open transfer method is fine for beers that aren't susceptible to oxidisation. So for lagers and dark ales an open transfer is fine. For any beer that is dry hopped, and especially for Hazies and NEIPAs, closed transfer is the only way to go.

I use this from iKegger and it is one of the most important pieces of kit I own, so glad I have it. Using the BrewArt Hop Filter, it just plugs straight into it and then has a liquid disconnect at the other end which goes onto your keg Out post.

https://www.ikegger.com/collections/lines-adapters-and-spares/products/beerdroid-hopping-basket-connection-with-line-and-liquid-disconnect

Personally, I do a closed transfer with every beer I produce whether from the Droid or the FermZilla.

2. Yes, I still use them sometimes, if I want secondary fermentation and as a method to force myself to wait a bit before quaffing. The method for this was from @Captain 3 Droids  where you sanatise the keg prior purging with CO2, quickly open the keg lid, toss in the primers, close the lid and purge again with CO2.

3. Depends, did you buy the kegerator 2nd hand? If yes, then what condition are the lines? If still good, then I'll add how I clean the lines in answering question 5. below. If you want to buy lines, then I would go with Kegland and I'll take a look at the ones included with my set up in terms of lengths and sizes. Also, I see you have a 2 tap setup, I would still set it up to have 4 gas lines from your CO2 bottle. That way you can be drinking 2 kegs and force carbonating 2 kegs. Also, I had 4 kegs all on the go when my mate was here and it's quite simple to change over the two beer lines from keg to keg. I'd just suggest using some food grade silicone on the Liquid OUT posts which make the whole connect on and off much easier.

4. Yes, beer line goes on your liquid OUT post and your CO2 gas line connects to your IN post. In terms of pressure, I keep mine set to 12 psi which works well for both serving and force carbonating.

If you wish to force carbonate quicker, I use a separate mini-regulator and soda stream bottle to crank up the pressure to 20-30 psi depending on how quickly I want it to be carbonated.

5. Cleaning, the most painful part of beer making. For my kegs I follow the same procedure each time and it has worked really well.

Starting with an empty keg or kegs taken straight from the kegerator:

a. Cleaning Keg - Rinse keg with hot water until any visible mater at the bottom of the keg is gone.

b. I then clean using PBW (Powerful Brewing Wash), Kegland calls theirs StellarClean, (you can also use straight Sodium Percarbonate) mixing with hot water. I use the recommended 5g per litre of PBW - fill it to full with hot water, add the PBW,agitate and then let soak overnight.

c. If I have a second keg, I then do a keg to keg transfer using a liquid line with two liquid disconnects, one at each end and then attach the mini-reg setup to pressurise the full keg and transfer to the second keg. BTW, the second keg has already had step a. done fist before filling with PBW/Sodium Percarbonate from the first keg.

d. Cleaning Kegerator beer line and tap - At this point, I will also use some of the diluted PBW/Sodium Percarbonate from the keg to clean the kegerator beer line and tap. So I hook it up to the CO2 and beer line as normal, putting a container under the tap, I turn it on and let about 1-2 litres run thru the line and tap.

e. Rinse PBW solution from the keg with hot water until satisfied that all has been removed.

f. Rinsing Kegerator beer line and tap - Once you feel the PBW/Sodium Percarbonate solution is removed, I add some more clean hot water, close the keg and then rinse the beer line using plain hot water using the same method as d. above.

g. Sanitising Keg - I use Stellar San, fill the keg with hot water and add the recommended amount of StellarSan (1.5ml per litre). This can sit in the keg indefinitely until needed or again if you have more than 1 keg to clean, leave overnight then do a closed transfer to the second keg that has had PBW and rinsed.

h. Sanitising Kegerator beer line and tap - Like step d. above, I take the keg filled with StellarSan and run about a litre thru the beer line and tap. It is then ready to go for the next beer.

I should note here that some people don't like to use the sanitiser in the beer lines and stop with rinsing after using PBW/Sodium Percarbonate. Others like to rinse after using the Steriliser/StellarSan so as to remove any flavour left over. TBH, I just pour some beer from the keg into a glass and discard the first 200ml or so.

Also some people will just rinse their beer lines with some fresh clean water in between kegs. I do that but make sure to give the lines and tap a full cleaning at least every couple of weeks, especially if I haven't been drinking much over those two weeks.

i. Prepping the keg - if I'm not adding a primer like step 2. above, then I want to make sure that I remove the sanitiser/StellarSan from the keg by keeping the keg closed and using CO2 to purge the keg of sanitiser either into another keg, bucket or other. That way you have a clean, sanitised keg that is free from any oxygen (O2).

6. I would recommend picking up some tap plugs that cover the end of your taps. This will stop any bugs/creepy crawlies getting up and into your tap.

I honestly did a pour after not using the kegerator for a week or so and a rather large spider had climbed up inside the tap spout and made itself comfortable until I came along thirsty and poured myself a beer. Seeing that spider floating in my beer was a bit of a shock to be honest and annoying as I wonder how much he/she drank whilst in there.

Also, make sure your kegerator has sufficient space behind and on either side for appropriate ventilation or you can end up with issues which I have read about a lot online.

If you have any more questions or want more detail on the above, please don't hesitate to ask, PM me and I'm happy to give you my number for a call if needed.

Good luck and cheers!

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Cheers, @Captain 3 Droids  and @Wazza_wantsbeer

How long do you need to purge the kegs for after filling?

Once connect up in fridge how long does it take to cool, and do you leave the gas on 12psi until kegs are finished?

How long does a gas 2.6 bottle last?

Lots of questions

Q.  How long do you need to purge the kegs for after filling?

A.  Sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

If a keg is filled with beer, then purging with CO2 is quick. The general process whether a full or empty keg is to add CO2 then let sit for a bit to allow the CO2 to settle as it is heavy than O2 and theoretically will push the O2 to the top of the keg, then purge using PRV until no more gas exits and repeat several times. If the keg is empty and was open allowing O2 to get in, then it can take quite some time to replace O2 with CO2 and you probably won't get rid of all the O2.

Instead, that's why I like to fill with Sanitiser, purge a few times with CO2 and then do a closed purge of the sanitiser using CO2 which guarantees you removed all O2.

Q.  Once connect up in fridge how long does it take to cool, and do you leave the gas on 12psi until kegs are finished?

A.  I've found that if left overnight or say about 12 hours, the keg contents have hit the fridge ambient temps. Yes, I leave all my kegs in the Kegerator at 12 psi until they run out.

Q.  How long does a gas 2.6 bottle last?

A.  I'm still using the original bottle I purchased with my Kegerator so almost 5 months since I purchased it on 5 December.

TBH, I'm getting a little edgy now thinking it could run out at any moment.

Hope that helps and please keep asking questions until you feel comfortable with what you are doing.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Wazza_wantsbeer said:

How long do you need to purge the kegs for after filling?

Purging is about removing the majority of air out of the keg and allow Co2 to settle onto of the beer as protection until you want to use it. I find that 30psi suits best. The keg is fill, lid on and Co2 connection made with “in” gas post. After a few seconds I release pressure using the prv (pressure release valve) on the keg, this is an opening of only 2 seconds. Wait a few seconds and repeat for about five times.

Once connect up in fridge how long does it take to cool

Generally about 24hrs for 2 to 3C. Note:when putting your keg in the fridge if your not using a non return valve gas disconnect release the pressure in the keg, particularly if purged higher than your  dispensing pressure as beer could go up your gas line (keg pressure greater than set dispensing pressure)

TBH, I'm getting a little edgy now thinking it could run out at any moment.

With a new bottle before use and after connecting the regulator and associated gas line I weigh it and then weigh it ever now and again to ascertain how much gas has been used. (Weight lose deduct from 2.6kg) Handy for when the pressure gauge goes into the red zone, so in working out the time for refilling, with no surprises.

How long does a gas 2.6 bottle last?

Subject to no leaks it really depends upon usage? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

With a new bottle before use and after connecting the regulator and associated gas line I weigh it and then weigh it ever now and again to ascertain how much gas has been used. (Weight lose deduct from 2.6kg)

A 2.6kg gas bottle weighs approximately 10kg full so you can weigh it every now and then and do the maths. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Just weigh it with the regulator connected to begin with then. 😜

Sorry but that’s what I initially said. 

15 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

With a new bottle before use and after connecting the regulator and associated gas line I weigh it and then weigh it ever now and again to ascertain how much gas has been used. (Weight lose deduct from 2.6kg) Handy for when the pressure gauge goes into the red zone, so in working out the time for refilling, with no surprises.

Thanks everyone. 

Do you need to force carbonate? Heard get your kegs cold. Then 30psi for 40hours.

Or if you have left them , can you just hook up to 12 psi, leave overnight and start drinking. 

Preparing the keg for drinking seems to be the most confusing. As everyone online has a different oppion. 

Got the Black Eyed Bock brewing now, it will be the first in the keg. How long should it be left prior to carbonating? 

I would normally leave for 4 weeks. IPAs 6 weeks.

Thanks again guys

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Thanks everyone. 

Do you need to force carbonate? Heard get your kegs cold. Then 30psi for 40hours.

Or if you have left them , can you just hook up to 12 psi, leave overnight and start drinking. 

Preparing the keg for drinking seems to be the most confusing. As everyone online has a different oppion. 

Got the Black Eyed Bock brewing now, it will be the first in the keg. How long should it be left prior to carbonating? 

I would normally leave for 4 weeks. IPAs 6 weeks.

Thanks again guys

No you don’t have to force carbonate unless you want to start consuming quicker. The set and forget method of carbonating at your dispensing pressure generally 10 to 12 psi will take about 4 days, not just over night. Have not tried the 30 psi for 40 hours with a cold keg. Could be a risk of over carbonation but you could try it.

From another post should answer your concerns, refer post 19 January- 

https://community.brewart.com/topic/826-ikeeger/?do=findComment&comment=12211 

After filling your keg and purging you can store until ready.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

And then I found it... this post is exactly what I was hunting for... I just bought a keg set-up too. A Keezer, if that's the right term... and a second droid, oh and a third one in the mail.... lmao, don't tell the missus. 

I haven't read through the post yet, apparently work comes first... afterword though I'll get stuck in and I'm sure you guys will have already answered all my question!

Cheers legends!

20220627_103719.jpg

Edited by Lucky
Oops
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lucky said:

And then I found it... this post is exactly what I was hunting for... I just bought a keg set-up too. A Keezer, if that's the right term... and a second droid, oh and a third one in the mail.... lmao, don't tell the missus. 

I haven't read through the post yet, apparently work comes first... afterword though I'll get stuck in and I'm sure you guys will have already answered all my question!

Cheers legends!

20220627_103719.jpg

Keezer is correct and are quite popular. 3 Droids now, so Captain Lucky 3 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lucky said:

I'm sure I'm not the first, but I called my first two droids C3P0 and R2D2... now I am struggling to think of a third name...

Hops Solo?

Luke Stoutwalker?

Yeast Vader?

Fermenter the Hutt?

… wait for it…

BREWBACCA!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 4

Ok, so now I'm caught up on the thread I only have 2 questions.

1.   Can the beer I've already kegged into the Brewart kegs just be dumped into a corny, purged, carbed and consumed?

2.   Is my Brewflo redundant? If so, does anyone want to buy a Brewflo? Haha, nah, might just use it as a chilled water dispenser...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you’ve got cornys and a brewflo system.  The flow is a great portable kegerator that is extremely energy efficient.  

im trying to find a nice battery powered inverter to make these units 100% portable… the domestic cigarette lighter inverter with 250w can’t do the job.    

• Like 3

• 1 month later...