Fermentation Test

u9026a

Couldn't find any reference in the manual about what "Ft" being shown in the droid window meant, but apparently it's a "Fermentation Test".   Thought the thing had gone bad already. Clever thing this droid.  EDIT - Found it, on page 9. Easy to miss though.

IMG_0300[1].JPG

Edited by u9026a
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone know how the droid actually does this?  There does not seem to be any sensors or the like inside the droid tub itself.  How on earth does it detect propagation, fermentation, EOF etc?

Am I asking too much here....is this wildly proprietary information? 

Just pure curiosity on my part.

It uses the temperature sensors to do the fermentation tests. There is an algorithm that BrewArt uses to test for fermentation which determines when it starts and finishes depending on the temperature change during the test.

3 hours ago, Derren Green said:

Does anyone know how the droid actually does this?  There does not seem to be any sensors or the like inside the droid tub itself.  How on earth does it detect propagation, fermentation, EOF etc?

Am I asking too much here....is this wildly proprietary information? 

Just pure curiosity on my part.

They describe it as an algorithm (and proprietary). I suspect that as the app can detect the temperature to 0.1 deg C, and the fact that the droid knows the ambient temperature, they are using an algorithm to check for exothermic <<-- big word there -- reactions caused by the yeast making alcohol and CO2.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well found, but the link doesn't work ? as presented. However if you go to here and put "Fermentation Coopers" (without the quotes) into the search criteria, tick the box that says "include abstract text" and search you will be presented with some results. If you select the 4th in the list (for me) application no. 2008217539, click on the application number and select Specification/e-register then click on download specification(AU-A1) it will provide the PDF file describing the process. There is a second document (AU-B2) that seems to be an update to (AU-A1) but I only glanced at it.

An interesting read.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Derren Green said:

Wow Pursya/Matt, I can't believe you guys found that.  You must have wayyyyy too much spare time.

But I am glad you did.  A very interesting read!   Thanks for doing the research.

Thanks MattS. Don't know why you can't post links in here.

Derren, I got the link off the JustBrewart site, all kudos to them.

• 3 years later...

Just because I was curious and actually read it (thanks for posting the links):

Brewart uses two metrics in order to detect if fermentation occurs or not:

1) As was mentioned before, it has a couple of very accurate temperature sensors. There are actually three as far as I know. One for the ambient temp, two inside with one at the bottom and one pretty far up. During fermentation, heat is generated and this can be detected.

2) The more interesting part is the second method that uses the two internet sensors to detect if a layering (temperature-wise) occurs or not. If there is fermentation, the bubbles rising up will disrupt the (natural) layering 'process' and an insufficient difference between the two sensors is detected - ongoing fermentation. As soon as this stops, layering is more stable and can be probed by heating/cooling and seeing if the layering is stable or not (that's why during the daily fermentation test you can observe heating/cooling).

In addition to that they have some rules of thumbs like 'do assume end of fermentation only after X days have passed'. All that is described in the published patent so I don't feel that I would violate anything here, it just the explanation for the curious folks among us... 😃

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
7 hours ago, Gillies Brewing said:

Would you recommend them for beerdroid users? Is there a significant benefit?

I wouldn’t have thought so but it’s really nice to have a Tilt user confirm the Droid’s accuracy.

Saving money home brewing is a well known fool’s fallacy but I figure by not having to purchase a fermentation fridge and a smart hydrometer I can almost justify my outlay on an expensive e-BIAB kettle.

Almost …

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 05/02/2022 at 10:59 AM, Gillies Brewing said:

Would you recommend them for beerdroid users? Is there a significant benefit?

No significant benefit in spending that sort of money. A much cheaper option is the RAPT pill from Kegland but I don't think any of it is necessary. 

Cheers 

• Upvote 2