German Weissbier with too much head

Deeks

So these days, I put a couple of different types of beers in a box, don't label them, just a label on top of the box. My reckoning is that they are all good so does it matter, sometimes you get 3 beers all the same, sometimes a mixture. Issue for me is I'd really like to see how the Tom Cooper Artisian reserve is travelling.

Was, going to have just two longnecks tonight, was. Maybe the other side of the box might help me next beer :). Once again though, can't fault this beer ( if you didn't like wheat beers you probably could), this is as close to a recognised beer as I have tasted from the Brewart range, dead set Schoenhoffer, will be drinking this keg in a month...which will be a treat

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is mystery box time, a box that is becoming a menace to my sobriety and I think I am drinking this beer. Think because if this is the wheat beer and it is at 11 weeks, then this is a great summer ale and for 17 bucks, FMD. 

Either that or the beer I'm drinking has issues but pretty sure it's the Weissbeer

Nah it is the Weissbeer, honestly great value and leaves the English Draught in its wake in terms of value

• 4 weeks later...

Trying the keg of this and it has mellowed down as far as flavour goes. I guess this is at 14 weeks now and whilst it is still a very nice drop...and imo the best of the $17 beers, if you prefer a more pronounced wheat taste to your beer, say more Schoenhoffer than Redback then 6-8 weeks is the go. I hope I ordered two of these in my last shipment

• 3 weeks later...

So cracked on of these . And one of my friends said opening a swing top has the most satisfying sound.... 100% agree . Was like a champagne pop . Good bubbles and head with the weissbier . Little head retention though 😞 , thoughts ? Taste wasnt what I thought but only 2 weeks , still has some maturing to do.  Very mild flavor at this point , the wheat/banana/clove flavors I was thinking I might get arent there yet ... again early days lol

3 hours ago, Paul84 said:

So cracked on of these . And one of my friends said opening a swing top has the most satisfying sound.... 100% agree . Was like a champagne pop . Good bubbles and head with the weissbier . Little head retention though 😞 , thoughts ? Taste wasnt what I thought but only 2 weeks , still has some maturing to do.  Very mild flavor at this point , the wheat/banana/clove flavors I was thinking I might get arent there yet ... again early days lol

Going to sound like a broken record here but until Marcus convinced me to go the Crown seal route, head retention was an issue. Interesting call on the lack of wheat flavour, granted I drank my first at 4.5 weeks but it was at its strongest from there to about 7 weeks and then got milder from that point on, til the one I drank mid week had no strong wheat taste but had settled into a nice session beer

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Going to sound like a broken record here but until Marcus convinced me to go the Crown seal route, head retention was an issue. Interesting call on the lack of wheat flavour, granted I drank my first at 4.5 weeks but it was at its strongest from there to about 7 weeks and then got milder from that point on, til the one I drank mid week had no strong wheat taste but had settled into a nice session beer

Yeah I think at 2 weeks was still a little young . Will give it a couple more weeks and crack into it . I think one day I am gonna do a with all the same variables and see the difference between the 3.

Still happy with the weissbier though, just not the profile I expected. Would drink it again tonight if I didnt have limited amounts lol 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/03/2020 at 7:24 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Just ticked over, will keg and bottle tomorrow and then let it sit for three months, I really liked this one as it got older, it lost its wheat taste but what it morphed into was one of those beers you can smash a keg over.

Liked the sound of that so in the droid went this one today. Haven’t done before so can’t wait. Simple recipe.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Liked the sound of that so in the droid went this one today. Haven’t done before so can’t wait. Simple recipe.

It is. Well worth keeping a few bottles to see how it changes as it gets older, also I am a firm believer that Wheat beers drink better in a taller, thinner 500+ml glass than a pint...but that may be that I am weird.

So I threw this in the Brewflo today and im not sure what I am tasting . Not as wheaty as I am expecting now . Its more of a nutty flavor, not heaps of banana/clove/wheatiness i was expecting . I always do find the first glass from the brewflo a little different, wonder if thats just the way the little bit of trub settles ( these are kegs with spears) . Still nice enough to drink . Will compare with a long neck on break , so make sure I didnt do something wrong lol 

20200402_181135.jpg

38 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So I threw this in the Brewflo today and im not sure what I am tasting . Not as wheaty as I am expecting now . Its more of a nutty flavor, not heaps of banana/clove/wheatiness i was expecting . I always do find the first glass from the brewflo a little different, wonder if thats just the way the little bit of trub settles ( these are kegs with spears) . Still nice enough to drink . Will compare with a long neck on break , so make sure I didnt do something wrong lol 

20200402_181135.jpg

Looks a nice drop however from what your saying the flavours haven’t developed much since your sample on 13 March. Bottle may be better🤔👍

Yeah I am wondering if there is something funny going on in the keg maybe . It tastes heaps more Draught-y ( if thats a word) . Not getting the sweetness I thought i would have gotten from a wheat .  Its drinking ok , but i will compare with a bottle when I am off shift and make sure its not something I have done wrong. Has an interesting odour as well . Doesnt smell bad but odd 

So did a side by side with the 2 beers and i think i have just muddled flavors , so will finish the bottled Weissbier and then pull a pint . The bottle is exactly the flavors I expect with the banana wheaty sweetness , the keg ( the other night had more of a draughty bitterness) . Only think i could notice what when nosing it the profile was slightly different. Bottled beer has a sweet beer smell and the kegged beer has more of a malty odd smell . Infection maybe ? Thats all i can go with , or the keg needs more ageing by volume ? 

20200409_153300.jpg

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So did a side by side with the 2 beers and i think i have just muddled flavors , so will finish the bottled Weissbier and then pull a pint . The bottle is exactly the flavors I expect with the banana wheaty sweetness , the keg ( the other night had more of a draughty bitterness) . Only think i could notice what when nosing it the profile was slightly different. Bottled beer has a sweet beer smell and the kegged beer has more of a malty odd smell . Infection maybe ? Thats all i can go with , or the keg needs more ageing by volume ? 

20200409_153300.jpg

Interesting, really interesting.  reckon I had the keg between 8-12 weeks, somewhere in that time frame and most of the bottles earlier on. I did find the earlier beers stronger in taste and it mellowed in flavour as it got older. Never got the Draught taste as such more a soft wheat pilsner taste if that makes sense.

No drinking this pint from the keg doesn have a different profile. No offensive but different. Might very well be an age thing . Could be due to the amount of liquid or maybe there is more dextrose in there as i have just worked litres to pints and added more or less sugar lol . Dunno ... interesting is the correct word lol 

28 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

No drinking this pint from the keg doesn have a different profile. No offensive but different. Might very well be an age thing . Could be due to the amount of liquid or maybe there is more dextrose in there as i have just worked litres to pints and added more or less sugar lol . Dunno ... interesting is the correct word lol 

I only kegged this brew for the first time today so can’t really comment. Will report my keg tastings in a few weeks. Going to drink early which seems to be common with a number of German wheat-ish brews?

One thing I have noted over the years (although can be minor) there is a difference in a bottled beer to a PET bottled one to a ss keg of the same brew. I think it’s “good things always comes in glass”, PET “leaching” and keg volume size?

• Upvote 1

Yeah that's all I can put it down to so far . Bottling in the swing tops so can only guess they are ageing a little quicker, the keg isn't bad, it's just not what so would expect where the bottles are lol. Next brew I do I will push the keg longer. Roll on next delivery (still waiting lol) 

3 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah that's all I can put it down to so far . Bottling in the swing tops so can only guess they are ageing a little quicker, the keg isn't bad, it's just not what so would expect where the bottles are lol. Next brew I do I will push the keg longer. Roll on next delivery (still waiting lol) 

How long you been waiting? I assume it’s on the way?