German Weissbier with too much head

Deeks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Gillies Brewing said:

is the amber colour due to the lighting or is yours just a darker colour brew than some of the other pics in the thread?

It is a lot lighter in colour than the photo, a bit lazy in me not turning the light on. Off due to not necessary and last electricity bill. Sorry it is a very poor photo in hindsight, will do better.🤗

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

2nd time around for this one. Used a commercial yeast Lallemand Munich Classic. Will be upping the fermentation temp to 20 to get those esters going.  Will check on day 5 with a sample, if it's nice and banana-ery then will leave it. If it seems as plain as last time, I'll hit it will 25g Mosaic for a little sparkle

Cheers 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hambone said:

2nd time around for this one. Used a commercial yeast Lallemand Munich Classic. Will be upping the fermentation temp to 20 to get those esters going.  Will check on day 5 with a sample, if it's nice and banana-ery then will leave it. If it seems as plain as last time, I'll hit it will 25g Mosaic for a little sparkle

Cheers 

You should harvest the Lallemand Munich Classic yeast for a couple of more goes. 

• Like 1

Gents, my first brew is in! The German Weissbier. Beerdroid counter is close to 3 days. I set it off through the app and it defaulted to using a custom profile (IIRC propagation was 21c, ferment 17c). A recent review on the brewprint and the comments here have led me to bump up the ferment temp to 20c, I'm a big fan of banana-ry esters and it seems these may be lacking at the lower temps. Keen to see how it turns out!

7 hours ago, iMagoo said:

Gents, my first brew is in! The German Weissbier. Beerdroid counter is close to 3 days. I set it off through the app and it defaulted to using a custom profile (IIRC propagation was 21c, ferment 17c). A recent review on the brewprint and the comments here have led me to bump up the ferment temp to 20c, I'm a big fan of banana-ry esters and it seems these may be lacking at the lower temps. Keen to see how it turns out!

Hi IMagoo and welcome to the forum. For a first brew you have chosen a good one. A few here increase the fermentation temperature to achieve banana-ry esters so it’s not issue. 
Let us know how it turns out, have a “tot” when ready to keg/bottle.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, iMagoo said:

Welcome Magoo, yeah definitely 20 is better for this one. Good luck with the journey. 

Cheers 

• Upvote 2

Fermentation has finished and I've had a tot. Definitely left it too late to crank up the temp - the bubbles had slowed right down at that point. There's cloves, but not much banana. I am a bit dubious on mouth feel, seems quite light. Is it possible to bring it out of storage and add some DME to try beef it up or should I keg and hope for the best? Planning on transferring to a 10L stainless keg and force carbing.

8 hours ago, iMagoo said:

Fermentation has finished and I've had a tot. Definitely left it too late to crank up the temp - the bubbles had slowed right down at that point. There's cloves, but not much banana. I am a bit dubious on mouth feel, seems quite light. Is it possible to bring it out of storage and add some DME to try beef it up or should I keg and hope for the best? Planning on transferring to a 10L stainless keg and force carbing.

I’d keg. The ale should develop over time and if you sampled when it was in storage (4C) and being very young then flavours would be subdued. This style should be consumed at warmer temperatures to get the full effect.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

With this German Weissbier I have of late been using Y6 yeast instead of the recipe Y5. This has certainly provide more of the “banana” to the taste. (not quite sure why)

image.png.e3fb106c15a38da421196ad539542dc5.png

I found the same thing, definitely closer to what I'm aiming for with Y6. Perhaps a higher temp on Y5 would produce more of the banana esters but I won't be able to test that out until some time in June (grrr pre order delayed again).

• Upvote 1

When I was still doing all grain, the best yeast for producing those banana/vanilla esters is MJ20. Ramp the temp up to about 25 or so (this yeast can go up to 30) and it produces an awesome flavours/esters. Also, I added dex to this last batch for head retention.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...