German Weissbier with too much head

Deeks

Nice one Mark , always a good drop . Have done it a few times. I going to have some of the last batch i did where i put the fermentation temp to 22 to bring out the esters and make it more like a Hefe . Will let you know tonight since they are 5 or 6 weeks aged now 🙂

7 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Nice one Mark , always a good drop . Have done it a few times. I going to have some of the last batch i did where i put the fermentation temp to 22 to bring out the esters and make it more like a Hefe . Will let you know tonight since they are 5 or 6 weeks aged now 🙂

Will be interested in your opinion as I’m not sure about “extra” esters.

Talking to Liam from Brewart he said best way was to play with fermentation temps.. so moved the temp from 17 - 22 degrees . Next time I will try changing the propogation temp , as i still added yeast at tap temp water ( 30ish degrees) next time i will add at propogation temp 🙂 . This lion city i currently have in has behaved heaps differently to last time with that change

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

What a bloody top drop this one is. Kegged 14/6, to the Brewprint recipe other than instead of 3 x X2 did 2. Has it effected the taste, don’t think so. Just an enjoyable beer. Ps really suits me as don’t enjoy too much banana/esters flavours.

D44AE11C-3BE0-4EB2-8C9A-BAC51B52840F.thumb.jpeg.000b2b3f06970c78004d832edee34383.jpeg

Yeah it goes alright, it is very good though during summer though, really comes into its own

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Talking to a mate of mine who dabbles in home brew and said to try a weissbier yeast from a brew shop and push the ferment temp up to 22 degrees to get that banana hum. Has anyone played around with the propagation temp? Or should you stick to the propagation temp as per the ale program?

Cheers 

Mick

28 minutes ago, Mick said:

Hi all

Talking to a mate of mine who dabbles in home brew and said to try a weissbier yeast from a brew shop and push the ferment temp up to 22 degrees to get that banana hum. Has anyone played around with the propagation temp? Or should you stick to the propagation temp as per the ale program?

Cheers 

Mick

Hi Mick, Paul84 a couple of posts up likes to increase temps etc for “banana”hum.  He will no doubt respond to your post.

Cheers, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Knocking back a keg og this over the weekend, 10 weeks in and very nice as usual. Was going to have half the keg and then have other beers tonight ( Belguim and Birra) but its been good. I am going to try @Mick suggestion and hop it with Hallertau for a German Wheat beer feel, think that will go very well and will report on it when I do it.

I guess the only issue with kegging this beer is that it is one that is best sampled over a few weeks as it changes and develops

Edited by Rob Courtney

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being MIA for so long . Have had a challenging few weeks with work and life ... but i am back off the wagon. Anyways . Down the back of my box i found a Weissbier from February .... turns out 9 months is too long to age. It has a much more fermented taste then i would have liked . The Weissbier i have from June is still delicious however

20200912_163250.jpg

Yeah the last beer of this first batch lost its Banana flavor and inherited more of a stale bread taste. Wasnt a nice flavor i enjoyed lol.. the 3 month beers are all in the fridge now and still taste awesome. I am on a caravanning trip next week so trying to empty my stash before holidays lol 

• Haha 1

On 15/09/2020 at 8:29 PM, Paul84 said:

Yeah the last beer of this first batch lost its Banana flavor and inherited more of a stale bread taste. Wasnt a nice flavor i enjoyed lol.. the 3 month beers are all in the fridge now and still taste awesome. I am on a caravanning trip next week so trying to empty my stash before holidays lol 

Yeah, it's a good beer between 6-12 weeks, does change up a bit through those weeks too.

12 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Glad it’s your head 😩🤢

Ha, so woke up, pretty good, had breakfast, went to work, pretty good, then 10.30am came about and did not feel good. People wanted my time...nope...sat at a desk pretending to pay attention to a computer until 12.30 when I could go to a cafe and get a very handy Snitz and chips ( no beer...,apparently drinking, on a hangover, at work is frowned upon now...bloody fun police).

Not sure how much I drank last night but the consensus is leaning towards the "too much" side

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Haha 2

Hi guys

Just had my first taste of my second Weissbier and jeez bloody impressive. I will add that I was aiming for more Banana aroma and with some help from the Brewart team and a White Labs WL300 Yeast have to say wow.

Details of the brew

• Yeast (liquid yeast) and droid water
  • 21/22 degrees
  • Propogate 22 degrees
  • Ferment 22 degrees
  • Brew commenced 19/08
  • EOF and bottled 27/08

The yeast pack states it is for 20 litres but my local hombrew shop guy said it will be fine to put all of the yeast in.

Will be doing this again for sure

Mick

• Upvote 1