German Weissbier with too much head

Deeks

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Ordered on the 23rd . It's ok I am used to waiting in Hedland lol

7 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

But has it left Brewart, got a tracking number? Appreciate your in Hedland but 18days So far is a bit crap?

Ordered on 23rd, shipping says it was meant to send 23rd, it reached the Melbourne depot on the 6th, still has not arrived. I had a couple of other items sent, those that go through the post arrive OK but the others that need delivery are taking a while 

• Upvote 1

I dunno its just funny how both can be so different . I am just wondering if by chance i might have contaminated something . Its all i can think of. Its still drinkable but nowhere as enjoyable as the bottles . Will try again on the next batch 😄

7 hours ago, Paul84 said:

I dunno its just funny how both can be so different . I am just wondering if by chance i might have contaminated something . Its all i can think of. Its still drinkable but nowhere as enjoyable as the bottles . Will try again on the next batch 😄

If it was somehow infected I would have thought there would be some sort of odour. Did you bottle first then kegged? If so you may have kegged some of “scum” that appears on the surface of the brew, giving a bit of a taste butno smell and not really infected.

I am pretty sure it was the other way around kegged then bottled. So could be the start of the trub maybe as the tap opened ? Could only guess. And yeah not a bad odour at . Even the taste is good just not the profile expected . Could just be the second fermentation methods. It is most likely id say

• Upvote 1

So since it was my last night shift had a few beers with the boys . They enjoyed all the brews I have made. I had a weissbier from the swing top . Def the Sweet Banana wheaty flavors still . Will admit has the same ( i wanna say soapy ) mouthfeel as the keg , hut ways different flavor profile . Also tried a brew one of my work mates did of a Hefe. Now his flavors are ways more pronounced , much more like a traditional wheat beer ( he is using kits and a coopers fermenter) which is what I enjoy more. Wondering if I could produce anything similar with brewart . @BrewArt Team , can you help ? 

G'day @Paul84,

First of all, getting off night shift definitely deserves a few celebratory beverages! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them. 

The sweet banana aroma and taste you're getting is an ester called isoamyl acetate, it is a naturally occurring byproduct of Hefeweizen yeast. 
As the brewer you can promote or suppress esters by pulling a few levers like Fermentation Temps, Yeast pitching rates, or oxygen levels. 
With the BeerDroid Temperature is the most convenient lever to pull. 
The higher the Temp the bigger the ester production, the lower the temp the lower the ester production. just keep in mind the yeasts temperature range of 17c - 22c. 
Alternatively if you don't like the Banana flavour/aroma, you can make an American Wheat beer by switching the Y5 for a Y1.  

I hope this makes sense, please feel free to ask if you have any questions. 

Cheers

6 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

G'day @Paul84,

First of all, getting off night shift definitely deserves a few celebratory beverages! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them. 

The sweet banana aroma and taste you're getting is an ester called isoamyl acetate, it is a naturally occurring byproduct of Hefeweizen yeast. 
As the brewer you can promote or suppress esters by pulling a few levers like Fermentation Temps, Yeast pitching rates, or oxygen levels. 
With the BeerDroid Temperature is the most convenient lever to pull. 
The higher the Temp the bigger the ester production, the lower the temp the lower the ester production. just keep in mind the yeasts temperature range of 17c - 22c. 
Alternatively if you don't like the Banana flavour/aroma, you can make an American Wheat beer by switching the Y5 for a Y1.  

I hope this makes sense, please feel free to ask if you have any questions. 

Cheers

Awesome thanks @BrewArt Team, that was a great answer and i have a few Weissbiers in the post so keen to experiment now . Have been working my way through the brewprints to see what I like and can change. And thanks to @Barrelboy for being a good sounding board on most things or giving options for change 😄

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, BrewArt Team said:

All good @Paul84

I'm glad I could assist and give a bit of background information while I'm at it. 
Let us know how the experiments go. 

Cheers 

Will do. Enjoying the experimenting thats for sure. Well actually enjoying consuming the experiments haha

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok team , only posting a day late , but put a Weissbier in today and have put the Ferment temp to 22 degree to see what a variation in the Esters profile and the beer flavor. The one a work mate made his hefe was just with a plastic fermenter so I am assuming temp was what would have been higher for his . And not sure if the Brewart team have seen my previous posts but i am sure my pitching temp of the yeast wouldnt be much i could change because the water is already up2 30 degrees 🤣🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Ok team , only posting a day late , but put a Weissbier in today and have put the Ferment temp to 22 degree to see what a variation in the Esters profile and the beer flavor. The one a work mate made his hefe was just with a plastic fermenter so I am assuming temp was what would have been higher for his . And not sure if the Brewart team have seen my previous posts but i am sure my pitching temp of the yeast wouldnt be much i could change because the water is already up2 30 degrees 🤣🤣🤣

Well the droid will cool the wort down to the correct temp however I put a couple of litres of water in the fridge the night before when the water is a bit to warm and add that.

Fermenting at 22C, ok for ales, will be interesting as to esters etc with this one.

(ps your mate may have a fermentation fridge where a temp control like inkbird provide can set your fridge to operate at a temp you want. You plug the unit into the power outlet and the fridge into the controller and set the temp. parameters.)

14 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Well the droid will cool the wort down to the correct temp however I put a couple of litres of water in the fridge the night before when the water is a bit to warm and add that.

Fermenting at 22C, ok for ales, will be interesting as to esters etc with this one.

(ps your mate may have a fermentation fridge where a temp control like inkbird provide can set your fridge to operate at a temp you want. You plug the unit into the power outlet and the fridge into the controller and set the temp. parameters.)

Hedland has a strong homebrewing community and yeah some ppl do have the fridge set ups . But I have seen Mo's and its just a back room and air con 😉 . He is a new brewer too so just finding his feet before he goes balls deep 

Edited by Paul84
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Hedland has a strong homebrewing community and yeah some ppl do have the fridge set ups . But I have seen Mo's and its just a back room and air con 😉 . He is a new brewer too so just finding his feet before he goes balls deep 

Fair enough. Some times with new brewers if they don’t find their feet quickly they think it’s shit and give up. With such a healthy homebrew mob of mining etc  piss pots, I’m surprised you don’t have at least a basic brew shop. You mentioned before your interest to some degree, perhaps worth thinking about.

• Like 1

Dont suppose you feel like a sea change to come open a shop 🤣🤣🤣? I think its the cost of doing business up here. Rents are pretty high and transport isnt cheap here. Most people here who homebrew end up driving to Perth anyways so throw a few sacks of grain in the back. Plus its pretty draconian laws up here. Had a guy who moved down south who was a great brewer and would have opened a brewary up here if it wasnt for the policing up here. Like Sunday is a dry town in Hedland. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Dont suppose you feel like a sea change to come open a shop 🤣🤣🤣? I think its the cost of doing business up here. Rents are pretty high and transport isnt cheap here. Most people here who homebrew end up driving to Perth anyways so throw a few sacks of grain in the back. Plus its pretty draconian laws up here. Had a guy who moved down south who was a great brewer and would have opened a brewary up here if it wasnt for the policing up here. Like Sunday is a dry town in Hedland. 

I'm just reading the liquor laws up there sounds a touch harsh

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Paul84 said:

Yeah its pretty average . Tbh doesnt overly effect my life if you pre-plan. But the limits doesnt stop the problems instead , we just have a bigger drug problem 😂

Yeah, I can see that. I can understand the reasons for wanting to limit alcohol consumption for the issues that are common not only in the Headland region but across society but trying any form of prohibition or limiting of purchasing just opens a Pandoras box and takes control away from those in society that are visible and able to be legislated.

In saying that though, there is a real need for education, whether we are talking about alcohol or drugs. I remember my old man said to me one time and it still holds true " You need to take care of your work first, then you can have a beer or whatever you want, if beers or whatever you like interferes with your work...you need to cut back".

Funnily enough, this was from a man who shared a bottle of whisky with my ma each night ( sometimes would even drive us to the pizza shop at 10pm because they had the munchies, although that was in the days when you said "I can see the shop from my house, it's a straight line") but given that, he had no time for those who turned up to work smashed, or stoned and even less for those who were on the dole and got smashed.

If people just lived with the thought " Only after a days work, keep my hands to myself and finish early enough to be able to get up and be a productive member of the team" then society would just hum along.

I don't know if I am on a soap box but if I am, I will step off now