Pineapple Crush IPA

Have this in the Keg as I am typing this.

The beer while fermenting in the droid will foam up and spill out the escape hatch as is to be expected, so if you are going to brew this, lay down some paper sheets or cloth to catch the foamy goodness.

Do try to use the best pineapple juice you can get. Read the label and if you can get a juice not made from concentrate all the more better, oh and preservative free with no added sugar as well would be the go.

If you have a local juice bar, see if they will juice you some fresh pineapple.

At just on 14 days in the keg it is still pretty green but you can taste the quality there and know that given another 2 weeks in the keg this beer will be great.

Pours with a great creamy head, and the flavour even at this early stage is becoming balanced and easy drinking.

The pineapple doesn't hit you in the face, rather it intermingles with the hops and builds a great flavour profile.

Definitely recommend giving this a go.

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...

I am a fan of Tropical/Pacific Ales so am keen to see how it goes. Also this will be the first Brew I am doing that I will half keg half bottles. Interested to see the difference in aging , also so I can crack a bottle early instead of having to spear a keg to sample.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Yep I'm keen to try this one next too 👌

Woolies seems to stock a 100% preservative free pineapple juice for only $4/L. Interested to know if anyone else has used this one (or alternatively, what DID they use and how did it turn out?)

Cheers 🍺

Screenshot_20191122-072934.png

Haven’t used personally but I’d use it from what’s stated.

• 100% Natural
  • No Added Sugar
  • No Preservatives
  • Rich Source of Vitamin C
  • Naturally Fat Free

Cheers

I live in the Pilbara where everything is exclusive so i had to buy within mg means , i didnt see that juice . I was looking for a "fresh" juice in the deli aisle but apparently Pineapple wasnt popular on the day so I ended up with the tried and true Golden Circle . But a day after I put my brew on I was talking to a workmate and he said he had a cold press juicing machine.... so next time I am going straight to the source. 

Regards

Paul

Screenshot_20191122-090738_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

Because I am bottling I have added the hops straight to the beerdroid.  24 hours until keg/bottling. Certainly smells the part from first fermentation. Has a tropical sweet smell too it . Lots of Banana Esters smells though i hope smooth out in a few weeks. Keen to try the differening in second fermentation between keg and bottles and taste over the weeks . Planning to leave a couple of bottles over a few months .

Very clean looking beer though , can see the trub down the bottom

20191123_070450.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Because I am bottling I have added the hops straight to the beerdroid.  24 hours until keg/bottling. Certainly smells the part from first fermentation. Has a tropical sweet smell too it . Lots of Banana Esters smells though i hope smooth out in a few weeks. Keen to try the differening in second fermentation between keg and bottles and taste over the weeks . Planning to leave a couple of bottles over a few months .

Very clean looking beer though , can see the trub down the bottom

20191123_070450.jpg

Now that does look a top brew. Any esters will smooth out and fade. Will be interesting regarding the bottles vs the keg

• Upvote 1

So today was Keg/Bottling day . I am so excited with this beer. Sampled this morning and even though it was warm flat beer it tastes AWESOME. Have got a keg filled and did 8 bottles. I bottled 7 first then the keg and then the very exclusive limited to 1 bottle " scraping the barrel' series. Will find out in a few weeks if its the best in the bunch or the worst lol 

20191124_101740.jpg

20191124_101748.jpg

• Thanks 1

Great to see your excitement, it is great and when you do a brew job well done, it’s such a reward.
After years to be honest I still get excited with each batch and experimenting with hops just adds to it. (for many years just did straight kits, but over the last couple have discovered a new world with hops. Started with basically 4 different types, now have about 16 in the fridge.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently 2 days and 22 hours into this brew.  Ended up using the H2Juice (Pineapple) I shared earlier.  Hasn't overflowed but seems to be coming along nicely based on app data & through the viewing window on the unit.  Looking forward to sampling this one when ready based on Paul's comments above!

• Upvote 1

Nice man , hopefully you have passed the bubbling over stage . Mine was frothing like a rabid dog lol. Was a fun clean up at EOF. 2 weeks on Sunday will be secondary and I am tempted to crack a sneaky bottle to see how it's going though I feel 2 weeks may be a bit young 

So shared a 2 week old bottle of the Pineapple Crush IPA with a mate . Will be honest with you needs more conditioning .

However if it was called a Caramel Banana Malted Ale .... Yummo haha . It was tasty but has too many top note of the malted barley and the Banana esters. Slight citrus/tropical finish.

Will give it another 4 weeks or so to smooth out and try again . I know this happened with the Narci citrus and the hops took over after 4 weeks

• Upvote 2

I agree 100% , look forward to leaving it a few more weeks. This idea of bottling was to sample through the ageing and conditioning process. I am expecting a 6-12 week before it will be complete. 

Still will admit was tasty enough today if I was buying something labelled as above . 

1 minute ago, Paul84 said:

I agree 100% , look forward to leaving it a few more weeks. This idea of bottling was to sample through the ageing and conditioning process. I am expecting a 6-12 week before it will be complete. 

Still will admit was tasty enough today if I was buying something labelled as above . 

Only downside to my idea is by the time it is sensational to drink I will have 2 left haha

• Haha 3