Pineapple Crush IPA

22 minutes ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Yes it it pretty robust. The weak point is the actual plastic insert. My last eruption filled the insert to about a 1/3rd from its base and caused the insert to split. Need to consider a stronger bag as the inserts are problematical.

What about a large zip lock freezer bag, they are strong.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

What about a large zip lock freezer bag, they are strong.

What a great idea, thanks. I already use them for for storing all different brew ingredients (I buy the ingredients separately rather than complete Brewprints) and send them off for recycling when I have finished a brew. Zip Lock bags are heaps stronger that the plastic inserts I have been using.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Paul84 said:

No but would be keen to try . I would say the sugars would make this go in overdrive 😲

I’m definately gonna try this next time. There wasn’t enough pineapple for my tastes with one L but there is a risk I suppose.   

7 minutes ago, J P said:

I’m definately gonna try this next time. There wasn’t enough pineapple for my tastes with one L but there is a risk I suppose.   

You’ll need a bloody big bag 😂

What about https://www.brewcraft.com.au/product/top-shelf-pineapple-schnapps-still-spirits-essence-liqueur

give a bit of an alcohol %boost as well.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, J P said:

To quote shaggy

ZOINKS!!!!! 

pineapple liqueur… next level.   

I tried a mango flavoured essence once and found it a bit chemical (it was meant for spirits)

have you tried it?

No haven’t tried the pineapple but a lot of people that use fresh fruit they purée it (eg strawberries) then they soak in vodka which destroys bacteria.
perhaps not all the bottle?

I wonder if a dash in a glass of the beer would give the pineapple hit?

Experimentation is fun.

• 1 month later...

Gday Fellas, Just recieved my Beer Droid Yesterday and went throught the process of sanitising and putting down my first brew of Pineapple Crush IPA today.

I went for the H2 Juice from Woolies as it sounded like a good choice as per this thread.

I used to brew and bottle 10+ years ago before the kids came along, but had to give it up as I ran out of space and spare time. Now they are a little older so I'm getting back into it, this time I'm stepping it up to kegging as well.

I've got 2x10L kegs and 2x5L kegs + accessories on the way from iKegger which should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Super keen to keg my first brew from the Beer Droid. I bought the 10L and 5L keg combos so I could try out the force carbonation Vs normal carbonation Vs priming keg methods, but will most likely stick with carbonating via the SS bottles.

Anyhow, just wanted to drop in and say Hi, will report back on the Pineapple Crush IPA as it progresses. 

BTW - I went for the Sandwich bag, pegs and black tape option for when it starts burping. My OCD wouldn't let me use any other colour than black for the tape 😎

Cheers 

droid.thumb.jpg.afb9bdb0d13e0f85f81c8bdf92e45289.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Garth Moulton said:

just wanted to drop in and say Hi, will report back on the Pineapple Crush IPA as it progresses. 

Hi Garth and welcome to the forum. Great your back into brewing and you won’t regret the purchase. Top brews are consistently achieved. 
Any questions just ask away, a lot of good help and info here and let us know your progress.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers guys,

Yep @Robert Pretty I've grabbed a copy of the Shem sheet, looks like an awesome source of info, Thanks.

BTW - This should probably belong in a new thread, but thought I would run past you guys quickly first. I've just noticed on the side of the Beer Droid, not sure what this part is but looks like a cooling or heating component. There looks to be some damage to the metallic components behind the plastic. 

It's only been carefully lifted out of the box by me today so it has to be pre existing damage.

Do you guys think its any cause for concern, or just carry on?

Cheers

damage.jpg

6 minutes ago, Garth Moulton said:

looks like a cooling or heating component.

They are the cooling “fins” just the same as those in some air conditioners. They won’t effect the operation as nothing flows threw them other than air to cool. You could straighten then a bit using a small screw driver but I wouldn’t bother.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 20/06/2021 at 8:57 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

If you were using fresh pineapple and juicing it then there may be an issue/concern however purchased juice like the Golden Curcle mention has already been treated. That’s why the recipe for Pineapple Crush doesn’t call for any particular treatment.

Hi C3D, I created an account as I'm planning on starting a batch of the Pineapple Crush this week and as I have a cold press juicer I was thinking of using fresh juice - would you recommend pasteurising it for the above reason? 

14 hours ago, Spuddy said:

Hi C3D, I created an account as I'm planning on starting a batch of the Pineapple Crush this week and as I have a cold press juicer I was thinking of using fresh juice - would you recommend pasteurising it for the above reason? 

Spuddy a welcome to the forum. Yes, if using fresh ingredients then I’d pasteurise. To be honest it’s  a risk if you don’t. I do with chilli beers, never had an issue, worth three effort imo

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
Name correction
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Spuddry a welcome to the forum. Yes, if using fresh ingredients then I’d pasteurise. To be honest it’s  a risk if you don’t. I do with chilli beers, never had an issue, worth three effort imo

Thanks for the welcome and the reply :) do you freeze like the suggestion in Paul's screenshot or do you go the heat method? 

Hey Fellas,

As I get the feeling this batch is going to be ready for kegging any time now, and as this is my first crack with the Beer Droid (and kegging) I was hoping I could share my plan of attack for a quick sanity check by you helpful legends.

So my plan is going to be to split the batch into 2 x 5L kegs. One of the kegs I'm going to put in one of the priming blocks that came with the BrewPrint and leave inside an old fridge thats turned off and seems to be maintaining a pretty consistent 19-20 degrees for priming.

The second keg I'm going to hook up to Co2 and force carbonate inside the powered on everyday fridge (following iKeggers force carbonation instructions) and perhaps leave for a week before sampling.

If anything is left over from the 10L I will bottle in some sanitised Grolsch bottles with some Dextrose or DME and keep in the old fridge thats powered off with the other keg. These might end up being Xmas day specials if I can keep my hands off them.

Not sure how long I will keep the keg that is priming in the old fridge for... Will try hold out until mid December if I can, but will need to get another brew down ASAP (I have 2 additional 10L kegs which I intend to fill up next).

Does the above sound about right? Anything I've missed or should change?

Thanks guys, really appreciate any advice in advance.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Garth Moulton said:

Hey Fellas,

As I get the feeling this batch is going to be ready for kegging any time now, and as this is my first crack with the Beer Droid (and kegging) I was hoping I could share my plan of attack for a quick sanity check by you helpful legends.

So my plan is going to be to split the batch into 2 x 5L kegs. One of the kegs I'm going to put in one of the priming blocks that came with the BrewPrint and leave inside an old fridge thats turned off and seems to be maintaining a pretty consistent 19-20 degrees for priming.

The second keg I'm going to hook up to Co2 and force carbonate inside the powered on everyday fridge (following iKeggers force carbonation instructions) and perhaps leave for a week before sampling.

If anything is left over from the 10L I will bottle in some sanitised Grolsch bottles with some Dextrose or DME and keep in the old fridge thats powered off with the other keg. These might end up being Xmas day specials if I can keep my hands off them.

Not sure how long I will keep the keg that is priming in the old fridge for... Will try hold out until mid December if I can, but will need to get another brew down ASAP (I have 2 additional 10L kegs which I intend to fill up next).

Does the above sound about right? Anything I've missed or should change?

Thanks guys, really appreciate any advice in advance.

Cheers!

Sounds good. Bare in mind that the keg that you are putting in the fridge to chill and force carbonate will not have matured if you tend to drink in about a weeks time. It will be drinkable and I’d take a few notes so you can compare with the one that’s in the other fridge and will have matured  a lot more by the time you drink it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Sounds good. Bare in mind that the keg that you are putting in the fridge to chill and force carbonate will not have matured if you tend to drink in about a weeks time. It will be drinkable and I’d take a few notes so you can compare with the one that’s in the other fridge and will have matured  a lot more by the time you drink it.

Thanks for the sanity check :)

Yep, I've read some other posts regarding the Co2 force carbing Vs priming and maturing etc. I'm keen to compare the results of the options for my own notes.

BTW - Did I read that there is typically a little left over from the 10L brews? eg enough for a few extra bottles?  Does that differ with each style or is it usually consistently the same amount left over? 

If that's the case I will def invest in purchasing some more bottles and try keep all the left over bottles for longer periods of time for maturing.

1 hour ago, Garth Moulton said:

BTW - Did I read that there is typically a little left over from the 10L brews? eg enough for a few extra bottles?  Does that differ with each style or is it usually consistently the same amount left over? 

Hey @Garth Moulton , I usually find that I get at least 1 bottle filled after kegging my brew. It’s beneficial to fill at least one so that you can sample your beer prior to cracking the keg.

I reckon you’ll find the Pineapple Crush IPA to be severely underdone after only a week but I’ll be interested in your review either way.

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Hey @Garth Moulton , I usually find that I get at least 1 bottle filled after kegging my brew. It’s beneficial to fill at least one so that you can sample your beer prior to cracking the keg.

I reckon you’ll find the Pineapple Crush IPA to be severely underdone after only a week but I’ll be interested in your review either way.

Cheers!

Cheers Dustin,

I didn't even think of that TBH - having a bottle or two left over is the perfect way to test the batch before cooling and tapping the keg. If only the BeerDroid made 11L - would be a great way to sample a bottle at different intervals along the way. I guess I could always keg slightly under to allow for an extra bottle if I really wanted, and use 375ml bottles instead of Grolsch. That might get 3 left over at a stretch.

The Grolsch bottles are 450ml from memory, so I'll report back how much extra I can get filled after kegging a full 5L x 2.

Cheers