American Pale Ale

• 2 weeks later...

Curiousity got the better of me tonight and I cracked open an APA at circa 18 days post bottling... and it was great!  Can only imagine how amazing the flavours will be the longer the bottles are left but for a first try I am very happy with the result :)  The cupboard the bottles have been stored in has been in the 23-26 degree range and seems to have treated them well.

I didn't think I could be more excited about future brews but tonight's sample has taken it to the next level for me!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So The APA is at about 10.5 weeks and the keg has mellowed from the bottles at about 5.5 weeks. It was a good drop before but now it is really good drinking. I was thinking of changing the keg over tonight to the US Chiller...and I may still do that but gosh, after an afternoon cleaning out the pond in 40 degrees with the boy ( who is 5 and his help was scooping cups of sludge water from one side of the pond and landing it at the other side of the pond...and apparently you're not allowed to beat your children with sticks now 😂) this is drinking so very well.

Usually, I wouldn't reorder an ale* but I think I will on this one as it is so different to drinking lagers and so delicious.

*Long story short- When I started drinking beers as a youngster, I would always have quite a few lagers and then someone would say "try this ale I have brought" and that was always the beer that got me to puke. So, whilst  can appreciate an ale or stout, I am never going to have a session on them...well, except for this one...baby steps I guess 

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So The APA is at about 10.5 weeks and the keg has mellowed from the bottles at about 5.5 weeks. It was a good drop before but now it is really good drinking. I was thinking of changing the keg over tonight to the US Chiller...and I may still do that but gosh, after an afternoon cleaning out the pond in 40 degrees with the boy ( who is 5 and his help was scooping cups of sludge water from one side of the pond and landing it at the other side of the pond...and apparently you're not allowed to beat your children with sticks now 😂) this is drinking so very well.

Usually, I wouldn't reorder an ale* but I think I will on this one as it is so different to drinking lagers and so delicious.

*Long story short- When I started drinking beers as a youngster, I would always have quite a few lagers and then someone would say "try this ale I have brought" and that was always the beer that got me to puke. So, whilst  can appreciate an ale or stout, I am never going to have a session on them...well, except for this one...baby steps I guess 

Can appreciate the “youngster” bit, ales were probably West End Draught or similar, enough to make anyone puke. As you like the APA, try the Highlands IPA and/or West Coast PA.  

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Can appreciate the “youngster” bit, ales were probably West End Draught or similar, enough to make anyone puke. As you like the APA, try the Highlands IPA and/or West Coast PA.  

I would probably think stouts or dark ales. When I was in my early late teens/ early 20s people were really getting into Coopers...as the factory was still in Leabrook and Regency Park wasn't considered. There was always that one douchebag at the party who was drinking something different because he wanted to be different, so it was probably an ale variety from Coopers or maybe Pikes.

I will look into the Highlands one next time

• Upvote 1

Gave my brother in law an APA from my first batch to try last weekend.  I was of the belief he was more of a Corona guy; didn't know how he'd like the Pale Ale...

Got a message from my sister last night - they've just ordered a droid ;) 💪

Edited by Darran Haynes
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Gave my brother in law an APA from my first batch to try last weekend.  I was of the belief he was more of a Corona guy; didn't know how he'd like the Pale Ale...

Only day or so left, you decided or did the good woman threaten you 🤬😅
(Isn’t it great someone appreciated your brew so much, adds to the worthwhile pride factor)

Edited by Barrelboy

4 hours ago, Darran Haynes said:

Good to get a convert Darran . I reckon i will get a few this year. Already started 😉

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Finishing off the last few glasses from the keg tonight, noticed we have a Camembert in the fridge right on best before date. If good things really do come in threes, Elle Mcpherson must be pulling into my driveway right about now

Ha, sorry Rob it’s not Elle but your mother in law.  lol 😂🤣

2 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Ha, sorry Rob it’s not Elle but your mother in law.  lol 😂🤣

I actually have a really good Mother in Law, any time she pulls into the driveway it is always " do you want me to take the kids overnight?" I really lucked up when it came to Parents in Law.

Pretty sure Elle wouldn't babysit, she'd be expecting stuff...

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...