Jump to content

Recommended Posts

How does it compare to the American Pale...

 

Seriously though, I am going to look at hopping this brew as the only hops appear to be in the ingredients not pouches so the Brew sgop guy has given me some "super pride of ringwood hops" 25g. He has said "FFS, don't use all of it if you are hop tea the thing"

 

Thoughts, comes in an airtight bag with hops in a mesh bag...should I just chuck the bag in like a frickin' man?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

How does it compare to the American Pale...

 

Seriously though, I am going to look at hopping this brew as the only hops appear to be in the ingredients not pouches so the Brew sgop guy has given me some "super pride of ringwood hops" 25g. He has said "FFS, don't use all of it if you are hop tea the thing"

 

Thoughts, comes in an airtight bag with hops in a mesh bag...should I just chuck the bag in like a frickin' man?

I’d say quite a difference with the Coopers Pale Ale and the American however the pride of Ringwood hops will certainly make it different. This hop is mainly used in lagers however it’s use in Pale Ales is not uncommon. The hops in profile will provide quite pronounced, woody, earth, herbal outcomes and very bitter finish - why he suggested not to use all in a hop tea. (I think you like bitterness).

Chuck the bag in, this would be a good start in evaluating this hop.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes if your going to keg/bottle 24hrs later. I usually put it in when I think fermentation is nearly complete, around 7 to 8 days depending on what is brewing. You can predict this fairly closely by looking at the temperature activity, like when it’s basically a flat to slight increase over 8 hours. (I like to keg as soon as EOF happens and ready to keg is the go). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Yes if your going to keg/bottle 24hrs later. I usually put it in when I think fermentation is nearly complete, around 7 to 8 days depending on what is brewing. You can predict this fairly closely by looking at the temperature activity, like when it’s basically a flat to slight increase over 8 hours. (I like to keg as soon as EOF happens and ready to keg is the go). 

So, I am going to keg/bottle and i let it go to EOF, then sit for a few days on storage to cear the beer. I am now reading that storage kills the yeast (well not kill but buggers it) and affects head retention and carbonation, what do you think on the last bit?

 

I have found that the two coopers cans I did have great head retention and fizz...don't taste as good as brewprints but..and they were the ones I kegged and bottled pretty much straight away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So, I am going to keg/bottle and i let it go to EOF, then sit for a few days on storage to cear the beer. I am now reading that storage kills the yeast (well not kill but buggers it) and affects head retention and carbonation, what do you think on the last bit?

 

I have found that the two coopers cans I did have great head retention and fizz...don't taste as good as brewprints but..and they were the ones I kegged and bottled pretty much straight away

The cold temperature of storage doesn’t kill the yeast but puts it to sleep. It can be revived again by temp increase and addition of sugars. This is how brewers use the yeast from Coopers Pale Ale bottles. Head retention won’t be affected but carbonation won’t occur at the low temperature as the yeast is asleep, but once warmed up again, say 18C, carbonation will occur as the yeast awakes and converts the sugar for carbonation purposes.

When EOF occurs I’d add the hops and leave in the keg mode for the two days then bottle/keg or go into storage for further beer clearing If you think necessary.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

The cold temperature of storage doesn’t kill the yeast but puts it to sleep. It can be revived again by temp increase and addition of sugars. This is how brewers use the yeast from Coopers Pale Ale bottles. Head retention won’t be affected but carbonation won’t occur at the low temperature as the yeast is asleep, but once warmed up again, say 18C, carbonation will occur as the yeast awakes and converts the sugar for carbonation purposes.

When EOF occurs I’d add the hops and leave in the keg mode for the two days then bottle/keg or go into storage for further beer clearing If you think necessary.

Really appreciate the info Mark. So you don't think 25gms of Super ringwood is too much?

 

Brewshop guy acted like a frickin Nancy today but to be fair he did say " you can always add extra, you just can't take it out", which I said to him was advice for beer making and sex

 

He looked at me weird

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25g of the Pride of Ringwood could be a bit much, I haven’t used it myself but woody earthy flavours could be over powering. I’d go 15g to evaluate. It may end up not being enough however I’d rather that than a brew that’s just not enjoyable. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So I dry hopped half of the 25g pack. Kind of a little chuffed I dry hopped for my first time. Will give it 24 hours then keg

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh it was there, in fact I could have kegged it after 18 hours but left it 24. Question though, if you have the hops in a mesh bag does that make less mess or do the hops just break down in the bag as well. Sure makes a difference to how the droid looks after it is drained though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Oh it was there, in fact I could have kegged it after 18 hours but left it 24. Question though, if you have the hops in a mesh bag does that make less mess or do the hops just break down in the bag as well. Sure makes a difference to how the droid looks after it is drained though :)

In the hop bag they swell up and release the goodies, if you didn’t use the bag and just plonk them in you have that much sediment in you bottles and or keg. Now some brewers actually hop in the kegs (19l) but they are usually the hop buds/flowers. Personally not my cup of tea so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

In the hop bag they swell up and release the goodies, if you didn’t use the bag and just plonk them in you have that much sediment in you bottles and or keg. Now some brewers actually hop in the kegs (19l) but they are usually the hop buds/flowers. Personally not my cup of tea so to speak.

Yeah just plonked them in, wasn't any chance to get a mesh bag on a Saturday at 6pm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah just plonked them in, wasn't any chance to get a mesh bag on a Saturday at 6pm

Hmm, going to be interesting how well the hop sediment settles to the bottom. Then again a Coopers Pale Ale is a meal in itself 😃

Edited by Barrelboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

Hmm, going to be interesting how well the hop sediment settles to the bottom. Then again a Coopers Pale Ale is a meal in itself 😃

This is what I noticed as I was kegging and bottling as i was aware their might be more sediment The keg line looked no different to usual as far as sediment went and even the first three bottles of 7 seemed very clear, from then on, there was sediment but it was nothing out of the ordinary to a coopers pale. The seventh bottle which is the one you are thinking could be the last was more noticable and you could really smell the hops in it. I thought I could get an eighth bottle...and I could but it was very big on sediment and really strong on hops, I poured it down the sink. Looking at it today, all but the last bottle have settled well. 

 

The sediment on the droid though was just massive, I might have dodged a bullet, maybe not, time will tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok just popped in at my new favourite shop (Brewmart) & grabbed 100g's of Chinook, Amarillo & Cluster hops to experiment with plus a hop nylon mesh bag.  Not sure how I'm going to use them yet but it's a start I guess 🤪😇

Edited by Darran Haynes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Ok just popped in at my new favourite shop (Brewmart) & grabbed 100g's of Chinook, Amarillo & Cluster hops to experiment with plus a hop nylon mesh bag.  Not sure how I'm going to use them yet but it's a start I guess 🤪😇

I like the Amarillo hops, check out the hop guide in the thread “ Additional Hops” page 2

Edited by Barrelboy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Glad turned out ok, bullet dodged? Time will tell however you weren’t using a lot of hops, 20g + could be different.

 

Ok, so with a bit less daylight and better electric light, I can see the progression through the bottles to the amount hops in the beer. First four of seven are clear, fifth with a tiny bit floating in, 6th has a bit in it, think a careful pour and a few weeks could minimise the hops in the glass. There is no pussyfooting around the 7th though, it was a dregs bottle so it was always going to be cloudy but yeah that one doesn't appear to be drinkable.

So I guess I won't do that again and just buy the hops in bags ( brew shop guy sells them and given I used about 10gs of hops and was really impressed, might start there

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

 

Ok, so with a bit less daylight and better electric light, I can see the progression through the bottles to the amount hops in the beer. First four of seven are clear, fifth with a tiny bit floating in, 6th has a bit in it, think a careful pour and a few weeks could minimise the hops in the glass. There is no pussyfooting around the 7th though, it was a dregs bottle so it was always going to be cloudy but yeah that one doesn't appear to be drinkable.

So I guess I won't do that again and just buy the hops in bags ( brew shop guy sells them and given I used about 10gs of hops and was really impressed, might start there

 

No real damage done however hop bags are a go. Also ask your brew shop guy about a ss hop ball. That can be sanitised and used over and over again making hop purchase at 10g per packet a cheaper way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2019 at 6:03 AM, Barrelboy said:

No real damage done however hop bags are a go. Also ask your brew shop guy about a ss hop ball. That can be sanitised and used over and over again making hop purchase at 10g per packet a cheaper way to go.

Hop Ball bought, think dry hopping is my new thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/11/2019 at 6:19 AM, Barrelboy said:

Don’t forget to sanitise 👀

Oh I am a good 7 days away from having a keg to put it in. Has a long chain on it, might be able to hang it into droid, kinda looking forward to this dry hopping thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Oh I am a good 7 days away from having a keg to put it in. Has a long chain on it, might be able to hang it into droid, kinda looking forward to this dry hopping thing

Bit of tape on the centre of the under side of the lid? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...