Hop-Sessed Session IPA

12 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Just got this down today and looking forward to it. Its the first of the "dry hopped" recipes as i have just been sticking to my older recipes and hopping my own. Keen to see how it goes. 

Also going down the pathway of Mini Kegs and carbonating that way, so will do a side by side taste comparison with this and a brewart keg with secondary fermentation to see how it goes. 

Keen to hear about your mini keg experiment once you get up and running with it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

What setup are you considering with the mini kegs?

Already have , just grabbed some 5 litre Mini Kegs to see how they turn out . Have a Sodastream adapter in the mail too. Just wanted to see what effect Co2 has on the beer as i know it does impart a flavor of sorts. The 5 litres work for me as generally I bottle half the brew, but also for these trials. If i do rate the system might split for the 10 litres in time lol. 

Will be leaning on you for some advice in a few days Mark 😉

20210515_201155.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Keen to hear about your mini keg experiment once you get up and running with it.

Will do mate , will throw my 2 bobs in for sure. Still rate the brewflo and cant see that changing ( plus I have about 20 kegs 🤣) but this gives me a mobile option too 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul84 said:

Already have , just grabbed some 5 litre Mini Kegs to see how they turn out . Have a Sodastream adapter in the mail too. Just wanted to see what effect Co2 has on the beer as i know it does impart a flavor of sorts. The 5 litres work for me as generally I bottle half the brew, but also for these trials. If i do rate the system might split for the 10 litres in time lol. 

Will be leaning on you for some advice in a few days Mark 😉

20210515_201155.jpg

No worries, wait to hear from you.

I believe the Co2 adds “crispness” to the beer and can be drunk a bit earlier.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Yeah agreed, i know with Soda water or using the sodastream for the daughter cordial it adds a slight bitterness / crispness like you say.  Plus with natural carb depending what sugars I use I can generally taste a similar flavor to the different brews ( same sugar same flavor) 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so just hit 6 weeks with this so thought i would give it a run. The first try from the steel keg was flavor country , but i think some of the left over trub/hops had settled, very bitter in my opinion. The second go was quite sessionable . Mild bitterness instead not as fruity/citrusy but very tasty . But as to the side by side between the brewflo kegs and the SS mini kegs. They couldnt be more leagues apart , both with pros and cons . The SS keg beer appears slightly darker in appearance. More mild in flavor ( IMHO) and does hold as much head but pours a great beer first time. Brewflo keg much lighter appearance, feels like it has more body and flavor, holds a head for way longer , but much more of a pain to pour , had to let the foam sit and cascade out a few times ( this has been something i have always struggled with ) . Both pros and cons and might take the 10 litres before i decide what I  like more lol

LHS is SS Keg with force carb 

RHS is Brewflo 

1st photo is after pours 

2nd photo after 5 mins 

3rd photo, first pull from Brewflo 😞

20210628_161830.jpg

20210628_162109.jpg

20210628_161309.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Ok so just hit 6 weeks with this so thought i would give it a run. The first try from the steel keg was flavor country , but i think some of the left over trub/hops had settled, very bitter in my opinion. The second go was quite sessionable . Mild bitterness instead not as fruity/citrusy but very tasty . But as to the side by side between the brewflo kegs and the SS mini kegs. They couldnt be more leagues apart , both with pros and cons . The SS keg beer appears slightly darker in appearance. More mild in flavor ( IMHO) and does hold as much head but pours a great beer first time. Brewflo keg much lighter appearance, feels like it has more body and flavor, holds a head for way longer , but much more of a pain to pour , had to let the foam sit and cascade out a few times ( this has been something i have always struggled with ) . Both pros and cons and might take the 10 litres before i decide what I  like more lol

LHS is SS Keg with force carb 

RHS is Brewflo 

1st photo is after pours 

2nd photo after 5 mins 

3rd photo, first pull from Brewflo 😞

20210628_161830.jpg

20210628_162109.jpg

20210628_161309.jpg

Good comparisons. The slightly darker from the ss keg could be due to picking up some sediment from the bottom of the keg or if it was filled first from the droid

SS was the second fill 

22 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Good comparisons. The slightly darker from the ss keg could be due to picking up some sediment from the bottom of the keg or if it was filled first from the droid

SS was the second fill on this , but the yeast also didnt get second dinner so 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Did that pour bring all the boys to the yard?

I will say it was very creamy , lots of body to it . Took me a few minutes to be able to draw a full beer , the brewflo had heaps more body to it which was nice. Also sorry for not using standard beer glasses , only double ups i have is Pint glasses and I didnt need to side by side comparison 2 pints of beer 🥴

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Nice ill have to give it a go @Dustin Frothman. The tiger beer i have just finished is 2 days so will keg it tomorrow and see how it goes. Do you let it go through the cold crash aswell or just before it gets there ? 

Depends on the brewing program and whether I’m using the dry hop function or not.

Whenever the brew gets to “ready to keg” I let it sit for an extra 48 hours. If this needs to be after the cold crash window then I just let it warm back up and sit for 2 days before doing anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 18/05/2021 at 3:13 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Hey Cap that's EXACTLY what i'm using in my home made kegerator and they work an absolute treat.   Using SodaStream to push it into my glass...  working very well albeit a bit of trial and error still required to get the frothy head just right and attenuate pressure to the ideal.   I've also bought 10L ones which are good for (Lawnmower??) those brews we all can't drink enough of....  BUT the 5L adds flexibility and you can add varying hops aromas in split batches and as you say, bottle some, keg some...   

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BrewArt Team said:

G 'Day Captain!

I've taken a look at your recent Czech Pils and can see the Fermentation had finished. It's always a good idea to Dry Hop with a little bit of fermentation activity as this can assist with scrubbing introduced oxygen. 

The main reason your Czech Pils fermented quickly is because your lager was fermented at Ale temperatures. 
As the saying goes: Leave Lagers Lower Longer. The Ale temps have allowed this yeast to have a party and metabolize the sugars in 6 days as opposed to the usual 8-11. 

Cheers

On 18/05/2021 at 3:13 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

On 28/06/2021 at 5:56 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Did that pour bring all the boys to the yard?

that's how a lot of my beers are pouring now (despite leaving it sit for awhile post EOF/DH....

seems like the beer lines are allowing a bit of turbulent flow??  not sure how to problem solve it.    Letting it set for a few minutes solves the problem but results in many more half glasses consumed...  the price we pay for home tap beer?  I'm in!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...