Hop-Sessed Session IPA

• 2 weeks later...

Just kegged this after stopping the brewing process at 12days fermentation. No sign of the dry hop function activating yet. The appearance of the brew suggested no fermentation activity and suspect the Y1 2017 yeast (which recieved in 2019) had something to do with this lengthy fermentation process. Look and smelt great, can’t wait to taste.

Warning :- as I keg into stainless steel kegs if fermentation hasn’t quite finished then it will finish off in the keg with no harm done. However if you bottle you have the likelihood of “bottle bombs” or if using BrewFlo kegs the likelihood of over carbonation if not excessive swelling of the keg.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Mark be interesting to see how hoppy this turns out. Putting this one down after bottling the Tea Party Lager, tomorrow. Updating firmware for dry hops. Thinking this as a session IPA might be a bit light on. So thinking of double hopping it. 50grams if each. Like a good hoppy beer. 

If you really like a hoppy beer then 50g of each will suit. I generally like to conform to the recipe on the first run then can decide on my likings/adjustments for the next batch. Will be sampling soon (it’s in the fridge carbonated) so will let you know.

Thanks Mark. Be looking forward to your review. I really don't like the word "session" when it comes to IPA's. My view is IPA's should me big and bold. There now is so much cross over between Pales, XPA's and IPA's, true IPA's have lost there identity. If you want to "session" get a Summer Ale. Old school IPA drinker, before they become trendy.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Thanks Mark. Be looking forward to your review. I really don't like the word "session" when it comes to IPA's. My view is IPA's should me big and bold. There now is so much cross over between Pales, XPA's and IPA's, true IPA's have lost there identity. If you want to "session" get a Summer Ale. Old school IPA drinker, before they become trendy.

Good points Robert.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

@Barrelboy Mark, How do you manually stop the brew process? I think I want to stop my Lawnmower and put into storage.

I can not see where on how to force end.

If you could advise I would appreciate it.

~Alan

From your other post it seems EOF has finally been achieved however for the record if EOF is not detected after 20days the Droid will advise that and auto go to the keg mode. (use of a hydrometer is recommended if kegging/bottling then). However if left in the keg mode it will go to store mode after 2 days as per normal or you can press the store mode to avoid the 2 days wait.

On 11/09/2020 at 5:41 AM, Robert Pretty said:

Did a review in the Brewprint as follows:-

“Kegged after a 12 day fermentation, dry hopped the Simcoe and Mosaic at day 7 (manually) using ss hop bomb. Just over 3 weeks and it is certainly a “session-able” drop. Very clear golden colour, white healthy head. Fruity flavours, earthy and with matching aroma, the hops sure come through. Bitter finish with the hop domination. Boy I like this one, it’s up on the Coopers Session Ale, up on the Coopers XPA so a good addition.”

Doubling the hops would be too much for me, 25g of each suits me well.

Alan, sorry forgot. To manually stop the fermentation just press the tick button and switch the Droid off. It won’t record the kegs being stored as it thinks there is a fault.

0266D6A8-F787-4AAD-BCB2-517A508698BA.thumb.jpeg.21dba9e493e06bb5293978f7b9b45926.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Good review Mark. Have this in the droid now. Droid firmware updated for dry hopping. Think I will double hop this, might be light on for me. Interesting you say this has some bitterness. It is rated quite low for bitterness. Interesting to see when the hop notification comes. Looks good

Thanks. It’s not overly bitter as a “bitter” ale would be, I think it’s hop driven type bitterness in the final after taste, and I like that. On the bitterness scale it sits mid way, and I’d agree.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/09/2020 at 1:05 PM, Robert Pretty said:

Good review Mark. Have this in the droid now. Droid firmware updated for dry hopping. Think I will double hop this, might be light on for me. Interesting you say this has some bitterness. It is rated quite low for bitterness. Interesting to see when the hop notification comes. Looks good

Let us know when you sample this one, did you double up on the hops?

16 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Hi Mark

Be 3.5 weeks on Saturday. So will crack a longy and let you, know. Brewed with the Brewprint dry hops supplied. Didn't add any additional. The Coopers XPA dry hopper, I just bottled. I added additional 25g of Centennial. Interesting see how it turns out. 

Thanks Robert. I think you’ll love the XPA with the centennial and will go down a treat.

Cheers

This is good hot summer slammer after day on the farm. Not super hoppy, not super bitter, not to fruity. After 3.5 weeks , will get better with age. I like my hoppy IPA'S. This will be perfect to wash the dust now. Before partaking in something hoppier. I agree with Mark this is a good everyday drinker. I would be keen double hop this. But I will keep it the this way as it is a perfect session IPA. For that hot summer days. This will be very sessionable in the flow.

IMG_20201017_191853738.jpg

IMG_20201017_192000612.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Robert Pretty said:

This is good hot summer slammer after day on the farm. Not super hoppy, not super bitter, not to fruity. After 3.5 weeks , will get better with age. I like my hoppy IPA'S. This will be perfect to wash the dust now. Before partaking in something hoppier. I agree with Mark this is a good everyday drinker. I would be keen double hop this. But I will keep it the this way as it is a perfect session IPA. For that hot summer days. This will be very sessionable in the flow.

IMG_20201017_191853738.jpg

IMG_20201017_192000612.jpg

That looks brilliant mate. 

Love your IPA glass too.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got this down today and looking forward to it. Its the first of the "dry hopped" recipes as i have just been sticking to my older recipes and hopping my own. Keen to see how it goes. 

Also going down the pathway of Mini Kegs and carbonating that way, so will do a side by side taste comparison with this and a brewart keg with secondary fermentation to see how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

Just got this down today and looking forward to it. Its the first of the "dry hopped" recipes as i have just been sticking to my older recipes and hopping my own. Keen to see how it goes. 

Also going down the pathway of Mini Kegs and carbonating that way, so will do a side by side taste comparison with this and a brewart keg with secondary fermentation to see how it goes. 

What setup are you considering with the mini kegs?