Czech Pilsner

Might even add a pic of this when I come home from dinner. 11 weeks secondary but this was one I did both in kegs because I had forgot to put the hops in the droid. I now know I was putting the hops sachet in too early in all my other brews. I had read that you put it in on the last day before storage but since I have been here, it should be kick off storage, put to ready to keg, drop the hops and leave for 24 hours.

Anyways, this is it, I only have 9 litres minus a pint left to drink of this, friggin wicked drop. I suggested in the hop tea thread that lack of body...this has it, that bitterness that I love in beer. I mean I wouldn't say it is as bitter as a divorced woman but it comes pretty close, that hops flavour I thought was not quite there...it is there. This will be another added to the must buy two of in the next order ( 10 of 15 favs, 3 I haven't tried and a couple of cheapies).

I feel like I have now mastered beer making, might add it to my business cards "Master Brewer"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

I use hop pellets in a mesh hop bag and put that in the droid when I think it’s ready to go to the keg mode. Leave for the 2 days, remove and keg. 

Yeah, I am going to try hop teas when I do the Coopers cans but tonight, just good stuff, nice creamy head. Liam did say that 12 weeks was the sweet spot on this, reckon he has a point ( using the Brewflo)

8 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, I am going to try hop teas when I do the Coopers cans but tonight, just good stuff, nice creamy head. Liam did say that 12 weeks was the sweet spot on this, reckon he has a point ( using the Brewflo)

Depending upon the recipe but hop teas certainly add something special to the can brews. Again depending upon the recipe have done both, the tea at the beginning and dry hop at the end.

15 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Depending upon the recipe but hop teas certainly add something special to the can brews. Again depending upon the recipe have done both, the tea at the beginning and dry hop at the end.

Yeah, I think baby steps first when it comes to adding hops. Liam has suggested adding the tea in the final 24 hours before kegging so I will see how that goes

16 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, I think baby steps first when it comes to adding hops. Liam has suggested adding the tea in the final 24 hours before kegging so I will see how that goes

I’ve been adding hops for a while now, both tea and dry hop and feel fairly confident in the use of them. However “baby steps” are important in the beginning to get an understanding of their flavour and strength in addition to your own personal liking.

I’ve been caught where in adapting a 23l recipe for the 10l Droid I forgot to reduce the hop additions to suit. No real harm done other than I don’t like over the top hopped brews.🙄

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Well, that's a 5 lire keg done and dusted. Was really enjoyable after painting the front fence today...and to think, I have one of these left

Painting a front fence in Mt Gambier at this time of the year, lucky your not frozen!🥶

Must admit it is nice when you finish a keg of brew you enjoyed,  knowing there is more 🤗

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Painting a front fence in Mt Gambier at this time of the year, lucky your not frozen!🥶

Must admit it is nice when you finish a keg of brew you enjoyed,  knowing there is more 🤗

15 degrees my good man and sunny, you don't miss an opportunity like that to get outside down here in August.

• Haha 1

On 16/08/2019 at 8:06 PM, Barrelboy said:

I use hop pellets in a mesh hop bag and put that in the droid when I think it’s ready to go to the keg mode. Leave for the 2 days, remove and keg. 

Ahh OK, didn't see this before and the brewshop sell hops in mesh bags. In saying that, last night of this, had a bottle of red last week to stretch it out a bit further. Sad, because I don't have anymore brewed to look forward to and with my brewing schedule, it means it could be Feb/March til I get to drink it again

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Ahh OK, didn't see this before and the brewshop sell hops in mesh bags. In saying that, last night of this, had a bottle of red last week to stretch it out a bit further. Sad, because I don't have anymore brewed to look forward to and with my brewing schedule, it means it could be Feb/March til I get to drink it again

With all the great recipes Brewprint or own ingredients the brewing schedule does make it difficult for repeats. Once I’ve got through a few I may settle on the top 10 for a while.

2 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

With all the great recipes Brewprint or own ingredients the brewing schedule does make it difficult for repeats. Once I’ve got through a few I may settle on the top 10 for a while.

Yeah, that is the plan and I actually thought I had that settled but the Czech and Lion City have messed that up and I guess the Tom Cooper Artisian reserve needs another go now that my brewing results are better. Still, if my biggest complaint is I don't get to drink the same beer often enough, well I'll just have to live with that burden.

7 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, that is the plan and I actually thought I had that settled but the Czech and Lion City have messed that up and I guess the Tom Cooper Artisian reserve needs another go now that my brewing results are better. Still, if my biggest complaint is I don't get to drink the same beer often enough, well I'll just have to live with that burden.

Well said sir, us brewers must drink on for the good and well being of others. Sacrifices must be made.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yeah, like this one but I'm a Czech beer fan. Probably told this story but back in the day, there was a flood in Prauge and the first thing that got moved to higher ground was the kegs. I mean, they'd take International medical help and International clean up help but no way were they drinking German beer.

Says a lot about your product when the German beer is just not acceptable

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...