Czech Pilsner

On 08/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, Barrelboy said:

Great, the way to go. Out of interest how far into the brew does it hang, the “hop ball” that is.

Obviously, super quick reply here but I left half the chain out of the vent so the actual ball was maybe 30 mms in ( for Americans just over an inch under the brew)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So, I tried one of these tonight and that is a bitter beer. Bottled on the 8th last month and very enjoyable to drink, may be me but I enjoy that sort of flavour. That has definitely given it the oomph it needed that I used to complain about, nice flavoured beer that will mellow the bitterness a little with a few weeks secondary to establish a very nice beer...or I drink it all this weekend :)

Interesting to see what another few weeks does to it

• 3 weeks later...

Trying a bottle of this tonight and it is still very bitter, the dry hops and liquid hops is probably a bit too much for this beer. I mean it is still a nice beer and I can happily drink this but I don't think it is at its premium. It is hard to judge though because I added the hops to liquid hops on the Belgium and it had a fair bit of Stella about but this needs to calm down a touch.

In saying that though, one of these on a 37+ degree day would sort a lot of issues out. Interesting to see how the keg of this turns out and how my brews turn out without liquid hops from now on

Had a flash bulb moment today when I was driving. Czech seems a bit bitter, more than I would expect with the two hops, not that I measured anything but then I thought "missing E5 pack". That would account for why it seems a little different and extra bitter, E5 creates more bitterness, this is where it must have ended up.

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Paul84 said:

So saw this on the brewprints . Thoughts,feelings, opinions ??? I like the original Budvar so would be keen to try . Only briefly read through but DH additions ? Hallertau ? 

It’s a darn good drop, reviews ( Rob & self) on page 1. Hop additions - I’d stick with the Czech Saaz if you have them.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

On holidays for a week, can't go anywhere "Thank you China with your bloody wet markets".

Still, 5 lts of Czech goodness, 16 weeks secondary, extra e5 cause even though I have spent so much of my life studying, I still can't read instructions...but at least this will keep me going.

11 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

On holidays for a week, can't go anywhere "Thank you China with your bloody wet markets".

Still, 5 lts of Czech goodness, 16 weeks secondary, extra e5 cause even though I have spent so much of my life studying, I still can't read instructions...but at least this will keep me going.

16 weeks, will be interested in your comparison to earlier consumption.

6 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

16 weeks, will be interested in your comparison to earlier consumption.

The extra E5 in it is still noticable and skews the taste a bit. It means there was 4 E 5s in the brew, and it distracts from the flavour a bit in comparison to the usual brew. To be fair, it didn't stop me knocking off 7 pints but. What I did notice though was the head was far more creamier than a brew at 8-10 weeks, so that was good but there is a bit of an issue with the lagers I have noticed that leaving them longer, they lose their hops flavour a bit and morph into the same brew a bit