Czech Pilsner

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Good night though, sausage rolls ( didn't get enough, bloody kids ) a Czech, Aus Prem, a Boho and a pale stubbie

Some foods and sauces can spoil a good drink whereas others really enhance. Example, a wood fired margarita pizza with Birra Italiano, a top match. There is a main thread on food and beer pairing.

Edited by Captain 3 Droids
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Kegging and bottling this tomorrow. 40 degrees in the Hunter Valley this weekend.  That will make a dent in my stock. Then the custom Pale Ale goes in. Bentspoke Lake Burley Griffin clone.

40 plus for the next few days here in Adelaide, have plenty to drink until the Pilsner is ready. Do you have a recipe for the clone?

Cheers, Mark

Image.jpeg

Second time drinking this, it is the depth of flavour now in the beer that has me really happy. Reckon this is a dead set 12 months of experimenting to get the hop mix right ( and the only way to tell is to do exhaustive research) but you can actually tell the three different hops flavours in the mouth. Think the added variety of hops brings this closer to the Czech beers I like ( not that there is anything wrong with just Saaz) so reasonably stoked with this and gven it is about 5 weeks, interested to see it develop

• Upvote 1

On 27/11/2020 at 5:46 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Image.jpeg

Second time drinking this, it is the depth of flavour now in the beer that has me really happy. Reckon this is a dead set 12 months of experimenting to get the hop mix right ( and the only way to tell is to do exhaustive research) but you can actually tell the three different hops flavours in the mouth. Think the added variety of hops brings this closer to the Czech beers I like ( not that there is anything wrong with just Saaz) so reasonably stoked with this and gven it is about 5 weeks, interested to see it develop

You used Spalt, Tettnang and Saaz?

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Looking at the hop profiles might I suggest 10g Spalt, 15g tattnang and 20g Saaz. I’d try it myself but don’t have any Spalt so might try with the other two.

Trying this at near 7 weeks and some of the strong bitterness is mellowing but mellowing into a bloody nice beer. Still very bitter a real go for a hot summers day. Reckon I necked a pint of this in 5 minutes...and its not even warm at the moment.

Could see a time when I would try 20 saaz, ten each of Perle, Tetts and Spalt and see how that goes.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Robert Pretty said:

Just poured this after 3 weeks. I can see what Mark and Rob are raving on about. This is a dam good beer. I'm and Ale man, don't usually brew  Lagers. May have to start. Anyone for a Lawnmower?

IMG_20201219_170051317.jpg

Now that does look good. Before BrewArt and Rob’s influence I was also an ale man but boy these lagers. The Lawn Mower, the Bohemian, the Belgian, the Deutsch, the............are all great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Put the Czech Pilsner in the droid today. Haven’t done for a while so will be looking forward to it.

Now we know it’s a top drop and here’s some info/trivia to possible surprise you.

Buying the Brewart ingredients = $24 (aud) = 26 x 375ml bottles = $22 for a slab of 24 bottles.

Czech Pilsner (Coldstream @ bottle shop) = $70 for 24 x 330ml = $80 for equivalent 24 x 375ml!

Wow a $58 saving per carton of 24 (375ml) bottles.

Can someone from the US do a costing for interest sake?

• Upvote 2