Czech Pilsner

Yeah, thought it was OK at 4 weeks  but that was with liquid hops and it was ore a case of thinking the flavour wasn't developed enough which with dry hops in for 2-3 days, I recon it would have been, guess I could crack a bottle on Thursday to see the difference

2 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, thought it was OK at 4 weeks  but that was with liquid hops and it was ore a case of thinking the flavour wasn't developed enough which with dry hops in for 2-3 days, I recon it would have been, guess I could crack a bottle on Thursday to see the difference

Sir that is your mission, Thursday it is.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2020 at 3:22 PM, Barrelboy said:

Sir that is your mission, Thursday it is.

So I did give it a go at 4 weeks, it was really nice, bitter, strong hops flavour. I think the liquid hops didn't have the flavour at 4 weeks  that dry hopping does. In saying that though, the Monsch gets better if it gets to the 8-10 week mark

37 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

So I did give it a go at 4 weeks, it was really nice, bitter, strong hops flavour. I think the liquid hops didn't have the flavour at 4 weeks  that dry hopping does. In saying that though, the Monsch gets better if it gets to the 8-10 week mark

Agree, the liquid hops seem to fade over time where as the pellets tend to mature so to speak.

3 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, it appeared to be a bigger step than needed to wean myself off the liquid hops and start dry hopping

Although you get a number of brews with 50g or 100g packs of hop pellets the cost can mount up, however I built up over time.  I also got some of the ss hop balls you have however I took the chain off and just drop it in. The pellets swell and the ball does float to the surface for easy removal prior to kegging.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barrelboy said:

Although you get a number of brews with 50g or 100g packs of hop pellets the cost can mount up, however I built up over time.  I also got some of the ss hop balls you have however I took the chain off and just drop it in. The pellets swell and the ball does float to the surface for easy removal prior to kegging.

The hop pouches are $7 a brew

• 3 weeks later...

So a keg of this in the Brewflo. Poured with the perfect head and to be honest, think I may have more than one. It isn't quite Budvar but it is a very nice pilsner. Had a couple of bottles at 4 and 5 weeks, maybe has lost a touch of it's bitterness from there now it is 9 weeks but still, it is a really nice drop if you like the Pilsners. 

beer.thumb.jpg.5e8e1f97bfba17811bc35810ac4540d9.jpg

12 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

So a keg of this in the Brewflo. Poured with the perfect head and to be honest, think I may have more than one. It isn't quite Budvar but it is a very nice pilsner. Had a couple of bottles at 4 and 5 weeks, maybe has lost a touch of it's bitterness from there now it is 9 weeks but still, it is a really nice drop if you like the Pilsners. 

beer.thumb.jpg.5e8e1f97bfba17811bc35810ac4540d9.jpg

Now that does look like a nice drop, good head and carbonation. Impressive pour from the Beerflo.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bottled on the 3rd, so I thought I'd give this a go on 3 weeks to see where it is at. 25gms of Saaz ( am going to muck around next time with Tett and Spalt hops as well) but bloody hell, I reckon 4 weeks would be the shiz and a touch more balanced but I could drink a few pints of this, nice bitterness to it, really happy with it

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Into some bottles of this tonight, very, very nice, 25gms of Saaz dry hopped and it has come out a treat. In saying that though, have one in the droid at the moment and doing a split dry hop. Unsure of the quantaties but it will be a mix of Tettanger, Spalt and Saaz, maybe 10gms of each...who knows, I don't ;)

Will give some feedback if it turns out well but I had a pilsner at Lady Burra and that was a little differnt, that is the hops profile they use though, so I will give that a go

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In saying that though, drinking one of the long necks at 7 weeks. Bit of a slow secondary, so maybe 5 weeks at normal temp...pretty bloody good though. Real fan of 25gms of hops in my brews, just gives it that kick of bitterness that I am looking for. You may ask bitter as a divorced woman named Karen? Not sure it could be that bitter50gms of hops maybe...but still. Had a Crownie last night at a restaurant and whilst it cold have been colder...nothing on this.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Went out to dinner tonight and had a couple of Trumer Pils...which is a fairly handy Austrian beer and the hops profile in that is Saaz, Hallertau and Spalt. Firstly, I was impressed that I picked two of the hops out by taste and I was never going to get the third unless I guessed but I will try that hop profile with one of my new pilsner brews.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...