Czech Pilsner

1 hour ago, Robert Pretty said:

Got this on order again. Enjoyed it the first time with the liquid hops. This time, I have ordered some Saaz pellets and are going to DH. Was thinking 25g? Thoughts?

I have done it with 25gms and 50 gms, didn't notice a huge difference between the two. I mean there was a stronger hops taste but not as much as you'd expect from double the hops

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

last one for the night...I think

10 weeks in and it is definitely a good summer brew but I wonder if the Hersbrucker and Tettanger are too close in flavour. I have seen another brew that replaced the Hersbrucker with Hallertau, so with the next lager/pilsner I do, I will give that a go.

In saying that though, still a very nice drink

IMG_0967.jpg

Hersbrucker and Tettanger are very close however Hallertau is quite a weak hop in terms of its flavour profile. Have a think about Saaz, would add something extra (imo)if that’s what your looking for.

• 1 month later...

Have one of these in the droid now to build up a stockpile before moving onto something heavier. Just using the liquid hops on the recipe but I wish I had read this before ordering as I have some saaz in the freezer and it's a lot cheaper than the liquid hops packs.

Guess it's one for next time, once I use up the ingredients for the other 8 brews.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brew finished, looks and smells pretty legit. Kegging with the hops now.

Running it in storage mode over the weekend before kegging definitely gives a clearer product that my Aztec cerveza which I kegged immediately. Next up something heavy which I can store for a while.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just tapped this today after a month in the keg and it's alright but something tastes a little off. It tastes a little like the liquid hops smells if that makes sense. I'm not a fan of hoppy beers so maybe I'm not the best judge. I'll give this a crack with some saaz in a hop sock next time.

I can confirm that sitting this at storage temperature for 2 days before kegging has definitely helped the clarity compared to the Aztec Cerveza.

3 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Sampler stubby of Czech Pils at 3 weeks. This one DH with 50g of Saaz. I liked it first time with the liquid hops, being an ale man.

This with the DH hops is even better. @Rob Courtneyyour the lager expert. What's the best drinking time on this 4 to 6 weeks. So I know when to gas the keg, and start pouring.

IMG_20220811_163506880.jpg

To be honest, I like it from 3 weeks on in the bottle but there is a fair view that 6-8 weeks is a good spot for the lagers.

There are some lagers I'd absolutely do at 4 weeks but this one, the longer you could leave it the better...of course, if that is 4 weeks, so be it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I went to hop this one back in March and I only had 15 gms of Saaz so I stuck an extra 5gms of Citra in. Then I thought about it and kicked myself because I could have left it at 15gms of Saaz or put 10gms of Citra.

^ and a bit weeks in, it is drinking alright

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure I did this with 20gms Saaz as I wanted to bring it back to recipe, 12 weeks in and very nice, probably could have another 5 or 10gms in it, or 30 but is a solid drink. Have mucked a round a lot with the hops choices in this beer, may try a split of Saaz and Tettanger next

IMG_1571.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I reckon this one is 4 weeks in, just did it with 20 gms of Saaz and it is really nice. It isn't a Budvar or Pilsner Urquell type of pilsner but crisp, a bit of bitter, just really nice. There is a certain joy of brewing in this part of the year, the house is probably 20-24 all month round and the beers start up a little early.

Good beer to start off the weekend, had one of those days where it was just really nice outside, so told the guys I'm going for a walk and walked across to the park down the road, sat under a tree and looked at the phone every 15 mins to answer questions, a nice way to run a business. Didn't come back for 2 hours either, I need to do that more.

IMG_1813.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe 10-12 weeks in now with this mix of Saaz and Tettanger.

Drinks nicely, could the hops mix be better...sure, at least with cooking you can add more salt or pepper or Garam Masala but with beer, you don't find out in real time.

Might try the next saaz 12.5 of Saaz and Perle or Perle and Tettanger

Still, a very good beer though

IMG_2004.jpg

• Upvote 1