Czech Pilsner

1 hour ago, Robert Pretty said:

Got this on order again. Enjoyed it the first time with the liquid hops. This time, I have ordered some Saaz pellets and are going to DH. Was thinking 25g? Thoughts?

I have done it with 25gms and 50 gms, didn't notice a huge difference between the two. I mean there was a stronger hops taste but not as much as you'd expect from double the hops

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

last one for the night...I think

10 weeks in and it is definitely a good summer brew but I wonder if the Hersbrucker and Tettanger are too close in flavour. I have seen another brew that replaced the Hersbrucker with Hallertau, so with the next lager/pilsner I do, I will give that a go.

In saying that though, still a very nice drink

IMG_0967.jpg

Hersbrucker and Tettanger are very close however Hallertau is quite a weak hop in terms of its flavour profile. Have a think about Saaz, would add something extra (imo)if that’s what your looking for.

• 1 month later...

Have one of these in the droid now to build up a stockpile before moving onto something heavier. Just using the liquid hops on the recipe but I wish I had read this before ordering as I have some saaz in the freezer and it's a lot cheaper than the liquid hops packs.

Guess it's one for next time, once I use up the ingredients for the other 8 brews.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brew finished, looks and smells pretty legit. Kegging with the hops now.

Running it in storage mode over the weekend before kegging definitely gives a clearer product that my Aztec cerveza which I kegged immediately. Next up something heavy which I can store for a while.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just tapped this today after a month in the keg and it's alright but something tastes a little off. It tastes a little like the liquid hops smells if that makes sense. I'm not a fan of hoppy beers so maybe I'm not the best judge. I'll give this a crack with some saaz in a hop sock next time.

I can confirm that sitting this at storage temperature for 2 days before kegging has definitely helped the clarity compared to the Aztec Cerveza.

3 hours ago, Robert Pretty said:

Sampler stubby of Czech Pils at 3 weeks. This one DH with 50g of Saaz. I liked it first time with the liquid hops, being an ale man.

This with the DH hops is even better. @Rob Courtneyyour the lager expert. What's the best drinking time on this 4 to 6 weeks. So I know when to gas the keg, and start pouring.

IMG_20220811_163506880.jpg

To be honest, I like it from 3 weeks on in the bottle but there is a fair view that 6-8 weeks is a good spot for the lagers.

There are some lagers I'd absolutely do at 4 weeks but this one, the longer you could leave it the better...of course, if that is 4 weeks, so be it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So I went to hop this one back in March and I only had 15 gms of Saaz so I stuck an extra 5gms of Citra in. Then I thought about it and kicked myself because I could have left it at 15gms of Saaz or put 10gms of Citra.

^ and a bit weeks in, it is drinking alright

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure I did this with 20gms Saaz as I wanted to bring it back to recipe, 12 weeks in and very nice, probably could have another 5 or 10gms in it, or 30 but is a solid drink. Have mucked a round a lot with the hops choices in this beer, may try a split of Saaz and Tettanger next

IMG_1571.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I reckon this one is 4 weeks in, just did it with 20 gms of Saaz and it is really nice. It isn't a Budvar or Pilsner Urquell type of pilsner but crisp, a bit of bitter, just really nice. There is a certain joy of brewing in this part of the year, the house is probably 20-24 all month round and the beers start up a little early.

Good beer to start off the weekend, had one of those days where it was just really nice outside, so told the guys I'm going for a walk and walked across to the park down the road, sat under a tree and looked at the phone every 15 mins to answer questions, a nice way to run a business. Didn't come back for 2 hours either, I need to do that more.

IMG_1813.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...