Lawn Mower Lager

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Anthony Dalton said:

Cracked a keg of the Lawnmower yesterday arvo (7 weeks secondary). Being more of an ale drinker, I just thought it lacked something, don't get me wrong I will polish off the rest of the keg today, and the second keg sometime in the near future. Not sure if I will brew it again however.

If (as I was) you are a traditional ale drinker then the lagers take a bit of getting used too. I find them easy drinking and to some extent more hop dominated than the ales when following the recipes. Most of us here increase hop amounts and/or change the hop types.

See how you feel after consuming the keg. Did you dry hop with pellets or used the hop liquid sachets at the end of fermentation?

• Like 1

G'day Captain,

Yes I dry hopped it, and it had crossed my mind that should I do it again it might be worthwhile to perhaps add citra with the galaxy. As you say, the few pints I have had do go down very easily, and it is still way better than any lager that I would buy from the bottle shop. I have a couple of kegs of the Bohemian Lager a few weeks off being ready (which were hopped using the liquid), so I will be interested to compare. 

I still haven't experimented yet with my brewing, only having had the droid for six months I am very much feeling my way and reticent to stray too far from the brewprint recipes, but in the near future can see myself tweaking things to suit my personal tastes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 13/03/2022 at 2:53 PM, Captain 3 Droids said:

Drinking now, to be honest I don’t think I’ll change the dry hop recipe. This brew is so simple but just lovely.

Yeah 7 weeks in...and whilst it is a very nice beer and easy to drink, maybe a little bit nicer with just the galaxy hops. It's strange though, I reckon that that combo of hops would go well in a pale ale...well better than in a lager.

Still, isn't going to be hard to drink the rest of this

• Like 2

On 27/03/2020 at 9:34 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Still, what a drop, if you got a pint of this at a pub, you'd be handing the keys to the missus saying "you're driving home" and waiving away her feeble excuses like "but I don't have a licence" as you settled in for the long haul

There are times I read these threads from the beginning because there are always good ideas and banter...but geez, if this isn't an advertising slogan for Brewart...I don't know what is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/03/2022 at 8:45 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah 7 weeks in...and whilst it is a very nice beer and easy to drink, maybe a little bit nicer with just the galaxy hops. It's strange though, I reckon that that combo of hops would go well in a pale ale...well better than in a lager.

Still, isn't going to be hard to drink the rest of this

This is such a nice mix at 8 weeks, am certain I will try this in the next pale ale I have lined up

• Like 2

Going to be a long week at work because everyone else is "close contact" and I'm stupid and healthy...of course if I test positive just after Easter and pull that out til my holidays, then sure, OK.

Anyways, a few beers tonight, was very happy with the Birra as it is the first time I used Hersbrucker hops that weren't from online...and that was nice at 5 weeks, which is good because I was about to give up on Birra.

Still, the Lawnmower, just glorious, a really nice beer with a bit of Citra in it

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, J P said:

Good call on the citra.  I’ll bet it takes this beauty to the next level!

Citra is a good choice, a slightly better “hit” than Galaxy. 
If you get the chance try Melba hops, this will give a real boost and can be used with or to replace the recipes that use either Amarillo, Galaxy, Citra, Mosaic.

Melba

“When used as a flavor or aroma addition though, properties of passion fruit, grapefruit and citrus come to the fore.”

• Thanks 1

Sounds like the way to go, Cap! Will give it a crack!

Currently I’ve a LML (lawn mower lager) on tap I brewed 4-5 months ago and wow has it mellowed.  

really great drop.  Not sure where the magic sweet spot is betweeen 8 and 20 weeks, but I can attest both are great!

Edited by J P
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 7:29 AM, J P said:

Sounds like the way to go, Cap! Will give it a crack!

Currently I’ve a LML (lawn mower lager) on tap I brewed 4-5 months ago and wow has it mellowed.  

really great drop.  Not sure where the magic sweet spot is betweeen 8 and 20 weeks, but I can attest both are great!

4 mowers, 2 blokes, one sunset = happy place 

477E3AC1-C126-41F2-8002-9AE004E58972.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's strange really how used to the good beers Brewart has that sometimes you just don't appreciate (*especially me in a little country town) how you just aren't getting a beer of this quality anywhere near. The microbrewery does some very nice beers but a lager with galaxy...they have much to learn

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Just dry hopping this now with the @J P recipe of 50gms of Galaxy. Looking forward to it in another couple of months

Still one of the best brews Rob! It’s a permanent rotation one for me nowadays.   Something about a lager with galaxy just works so well. 

citra was a great call too.    

wonder how strata would do…

My last batch I force carbed right out of the droid and it was as good as any aged Mower (IMHO)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another couple of weeks has let it open up a lot. You can just smell the Galaxy in it now and the taste is much better, I think another couple of weeks and this is going to be the balls. It is pretty good now but I reckon it'll improve with a little more time

I'm on the @J P train now on this, 50 gms really is the way to go

Edited by Rob Courtney
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/05/2023 at 6:57 PM, Rob Courtney said:

Another couple of weeks has let it open up a lot. You can just smell the Galaxy in it now and the taste is much better, I think another couple of weeks and this is going to be the balls. It is pretty good now but I reckon it'll improve with a little more time

I'm on the @J P train now on this, 50 gms really is the way to go

Oh yeah, 3 of these tonight and one in the droid. Was thinking of going less hops than the 50 but Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, the call of 50gms Galaxy is bang on.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sam Armstrong said:

Lots of people are big fans of this one, I've never really looked into it, is this Brewart's version of an 'IPL'?

Kinda but not. This is still a very light, clear lager where the IPls I've tried are a bit darker in colour and have a higher alcohol % than the Lawnmower

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...