Lawn Mower Lager

Uh oh.... Belgian ale just out of 2 weeks quarantine.   I’m very worried.  I’m gonna kill this keg in a single sitting.  A darn fine drop.    

im certain it’ll be better in a few more weeks.   Unfortunately. I’ll never know 🤣

15 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Have 10l already kegged (30/1) and have now put another in the droid. This is a brew I want to keep having in stock, you should not run out. The great thing about the Mower (imo) is it’s a simple recipe, no complications and just tastes a treat.

If I am thinking clearly, I should have one droid banging out the Lawnmower, Boho and Czech ( I mean the version of Czech I am drinking is worth being in the conversation) non stop and use th other droid for other brews, Agree with the assessment on the Lawnmower though, very easy to drink

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

If I am thinking clearly, I should have one droid banging out the Lawnmower, Boho and Czech ( I mean the version of Czech I am drinking is worth being in the conversation) non stop and use th other droid for other brews, Agree with the assessment on the Lawnmower though, very easy to drink

That would be a good move. Under my “cunning plan” thread I use Droid A for Lagers, B for Ales and C for whatever including catch ups in stock. I have to say it’s working fairly well to date. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Have 10l in the keg at 1/3 and a new batch in the Droid, brewing today. The Lawn Mower is such a top drop (and rightly deserves the continual praise)  I’m working always having continual availability. 🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻🍺🍻

Yeah, had one of these last week at 7 weeks...really hit its stride. I am seriously* thinking of getting another one or two dozen bottles to help keep the Boho, Lawnmower stocks up.

In saying that though, next order I will grab some primer blocks to see how they go in kegs, one of my issues with the kegs has been carbonation but I was using dextrose or carb drops so maybe the primer blocks will make it better

*Obviously by thinking, I mean I will

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dustin Frothman said:

Low carbonation or too much?

My issue was carbonation was low after the first couple of glasses. I mean it wasn't the worst thing in the world...and keep in mind I drink lagers but I wasn't big on the carbonation. Funnily enough, the last brew I did with the old primer sachets...on the money, first pour, to last. After that, I was using wheat dextrose and it was OK and then I mucked around with carb drops and it was OK, just not great.

I mean, if I poured it a certain way, I got an OK head but carbonation was a little less than I would prefer...and keep in mind, I think there is nothing better than pouring your own pints.

So, a while back, I went the bottle method with crown seals and I think the flavour is a little better and I am happy at the moment but will like to go the ale method with the kegs at some stage, so happy to retry the new keg blocks

6 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

My issue was carbonation was low after the first couple of glasses. I mean it wasn't the worst thing in the world...and keep in mind I drink lagers but I wasn't big on the carbonation. Funnily enough, the last brew I did with the old primer sachets...on the money, first pour, to last. After that, I was using wheat dextrose and it was OK and then I mucked around with carb drops and it was OK, just not great.

I mean, if I poured it a certain way, I got an OK head but carbonation was a little less than I would prefer...and keep in mind, I think there is nothing better than pouring your own pints.

So, a while back, I went the bottle method with crown seals and I think the flavour is a little better and I am happy at the moment but will like to go the ale method with the kegs at some stage, so happy to retry the new keg blocks

I think my first keg with the new bricks is up next although I didn't keep track of that very well so I'm not sure. I'll let you know.

Interestingly I've never had an issue with carbonation but I've always used the Brewart sucrose sachets and other than the excess packaging and potential for spillage, I found the results to be spot on.

Just now, Dustin Frothman said:

I think my first keg with the new bricks is up next although I didn't keep track of that very well so I'm not sure. I'll let you know.

Interestingly I've never had an issue with carbonation but I've always used the Brewart sucrose sachets and other than the excess packaging and potential for spillage, I found the results to be spot on.

Yeah, it was a while back now but I really regretted the move, to make the beer cheaper, going to dextrose...even worse was the brew shop guy shuddering when I suggested that was the way I was going. In saying that though, I did do some experiments with glass bottles V kegs and bottles had the flavour war won. I mean it isn't a massive difference but enough for me to have spent the last 15 months bottling every brew.

As I said though, keen to get back into kegging ( especially now I have 16 of the buggers) to mix it up

Ahhhh Lawnmower.   So I’ve just done my first one with an extra X5.   Fermentation was 15 days!!  The color starred straw like and then towards the end of what I thought was a really long ferment it turned really really dark (started to worry).  But alas dry hop reminder came on yesterday.   I added the hops and the colour is back to a nice cloudy straw colour.   Now two days later it’s cold crashing 🙂.   Hopeful to get a lawnmower with a bit of an extra kick in a couple weeks.  🙂

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, it was a while back now but I really regretted the move, to make the beer cheaper, going to dextrose...even worse was the brew shop guy shuddering when I suggested that was the way I was going.

It's interesting that you say that, thank you. Your honesty is really appreciated.

I find with this home brewing hobby that very few people are willing to admit their mistakes along the way and/or they make bold statements about how something should be done and then when their experiments don't turn out well they are unwilling to follow up and correct their assertions. It leaves a lot of misleading information out there for newbies to trawl through and unfortunately repeat these mistakes.

When I got back into brewing with this system last year I was determined to make good beer as opposed to cheap beer. I'd made a lot of crap cheap beer before and it put me off altogether. So knowing the quality of the Coopers ingredients I made a conscious decision not to swap out anything from a cost perspective that I wasn't certain would be like for like. So I've stuck with the sucrose sachets and now the carbonation bricks. Yes these are the more expensive option but I'm pleased to say they haven't disappointed me yet and when everything is on song they work perfectly. I figure that Coopers/Brewart do more R&D on getting this stuff right than we will ever know so I trust their expertise.

I'm happy to admit that I buy hop pellets separately; either a few from the local brewing suppliers if I just need a little, or 1kg at a time from an importer. Sure crops can differ year to year but when you're using a a lot of hops this works out a little more economical and with the added benefit of not having to worry about them sitting in the heat while AusPost takes their time delivering.

Plus I like playing small time drug dealer with my vacuum sealing machine and scales whilst I make up packages of pellets to store in the freezer. Might need a bigger freezer soon to go with that second Droid ... 😆 

I've got everything ready to go for a Lawn Mower Lager so I better brew this one soon so I can join the club!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

It's interesting that you say that, thank you. Your honesty is really appreciated.

I find with this home brewing hobby that very few people are willing to admit their mistakes along the way and/or they make bold statements about how something should be done and then when their experiments don't turn out well they are unwilling to follow up and correct their assertions. It leaves a lot of misleading information out there for newbies to trawl through and unfortunately repeat these mistakes.

When I got back into brewing with this system last year I was determined to make good beer as opposed to cheap beer. I'd made a lot of crap cheap beer before and it put me off altogether. So knowing the quality of the Coopers ingredients I made a conscious decision not to swap out anything from a cost perspective that I wasn't certain would be like for like. So I've stuck with the sucrose sachets and now the carbonation bricks. Yes these are the more expensive option but I'm pleased to say they haven't disappointed me yet and when everything is on song they work perfectly. I figure that Coopers/Brewart do more R&D on getting this stuff right than we will ever know so I trust their expertise.

I'm happy to admit that I buy hop pellets separately; either a few from the local brewing suppliers if I just need a little, or 1kg at a time from an importer. Sure crops can differ year to year but when you're using a a lot of hops this works out a little more economical and with the added benefit of not having to worry about them sitting in the heat while AusPost takes their time delivering.

Plus I like playing small time drug dealer with my vacuum sealing machine and scales whilst I make up packages of pellets to store in the freezer. Might need a bigger freezer soon to go with that second Droid ... 😆 

I've got everything ready to go for a Lawn Mower Lager so I better brew this one soon so I can join the club!

Yeah, I spent the first part of the Brewart journey trying to get decent carbonation and head retention, in saying that, the only ale I was making was pale and there wasn't an issue with that. I would just get frustrated because all I wanted was to pour beers that had decent heads to them without fudging the pour to get it. The first one or two would be OK but then the carbonation just dropped off.

It was around that stage that there was a poster who doesn't post anymore, think his name was Barrelboy and given I was 50/50 with swingtops, suggested that I give crown seals and bottles a go...and they work so very well for me. I just haven't looked back...but in the same sense, I want to use the flo again and keg some beer ( which is why I have suggested putting my ales in it) because it is a waste having 16 kegs and a Brewflo not being used. 

9 hours ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah, I spent the first part of the Brewart journey trying to get decent carbonation and head retention, in saying that, the only ale I was making was pale and there wasn't an issue with that. I would just get frustrated because all I wanted was to pour beers that had decent heads to them without fudging the pour to get it. The first one or two would be OK but then the carbonation just dropped off.

It was around that stage that there was a poster who doesn't post anymore, think his name was Barrelboy and given I was 50/50 with swingtops, suggested that I give crown seals and bottles a go...and they work so very well for me. I just haven't looked back...but in the same sense, I want to use the flo again and keg some beer ( which is why I have suggested putting my ales in it) because it is a waste having 16 kegs and a Brewflo not being used. 

To help with head retention think about or try with one batch 50g of maltodextrin. This will help with mouthfeel, body and head retention. It’s basically a non fermentable, does not add taste or increase alcohol %.

Dissolve in some of the water you add to the droid at the beginning.

Ps  Now that poster, “Barrelboy” what a wonderful guy, intelligent, handsome.............

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

To help with head retention think about or try with one batch 50g of maltodextrin. This will help with mouthfeel, body and head retention. It’s basically a non fermentable, does not add taste or increase alcohol %.

Ps  Now that poster, “Barrelboy” what a wonderful guy, intelligent, handsome.............

he was indeed, far better than the guy who took his place...

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

So, I went and saw Brewshop Guy this morning and asked about maltodextrin and said you recommended for all the above attributes, so he grabbed me a bag and said " That guy knows his stuff, I think I like him"

And I said "You'd  be the only one" :)  

Still, I''ll give that one a go next time i am brewing, usually my head retention is good from a cold glass of bottled beer but it could always be better and if I could get to the state where I have a few kegs to put back in the flow and be happy, that would be even better. I will wait til my next order so I can get some bricks for putting in the keg before I go that way though

• Haha 2

On 12/03/2021 at 7:12 AM, J P said:

Ahhhh Lawnmower.   So I’ve just done my first one with an extra X5.   Fermentation was 15 days!!  The color starred straw like and then towards the end of what I thought was a really long ferment it turned really really dark (started to worry).  But alas dry hop reminder came on yesterday.   I added the hops and the colour is back to a nice cloudy straw colour.   Now two days later it’s cold crashing 🙂.   Hopeful to get a lawnmower with a bit of an extra kick in a couple weeks.  🙂

Alright.    Kegged it this morning.   Guys. Seriously this tasted so hoppy and amazing I can’t wait for secondary.    The extra X5 didn’t do anything bad to the taste and it’s hoppy and smooth and wonderful. ).  

gotta love the notifications.  They’ve got a sense of humour 

767D119C-08BA-4DBB-9315-E3B80C558D7F.jpeg

• Upvote 1