Brad Quinn

Additional Hops

Duffman    105
On 06/30/2017 at 8:46 AM, dcm said:

Either that or I'm just an Amarillo junkie.

Sounds delicious. Amarillo are some of my favourites.

• Upvote 1

dcm    69
On 30/06/2017 at 4:46 PM, dcm said:

Well here's what I did.

Brad's thoughts kind of resonated so I started with a Westcoast Pale Ale recipe.

I added 1 x X5 to bring the ABV up to around 6.5%

At day 7 of fermentation, I just chucked in a 15g Amarillo finishing hop teabag (yeah, I forgot to make tea and maybe there will be grassy notes).  The Amarillo smelt gorgeous.

At day 11, fermentation finished and I added the prescribed 2 x H1 sachet.

I bottled it today.  I would have happily drunk the stuff "green" out of primary fermentation.  Lots of hoppy flavour and a nice kick from the extra alcohol.

Maybe it will head south during secondary fermentation but hopefully I'm on to something here.  Either that or I'm just an Amarillo junkie.

This works I tell you!  Tried one last night, 3 weeks in secondary.  Not bad!  You can smell the Amarillo and the bitter and extra ABV are there.  I'm calling it "Westcoast IPA" :-)  First glass out of the 750ml extremely good.  Second glass was *slightly* more sweetish so there still might be some secondary fermentation to happen - guess it's been cold lately but I'm going to do another batch of this.

• Upvote 2

Derren Green    41

Hi all,

I am about to add the new "FortNight" hops into my Lighthouse Pale Ale.  Reports suggest it should be awesome.  I will let you know how it turns out. 

FortNight™ is a dual purpose hop blended from at least 5 classic US hop varieties and is suitable for most US styles from pale ales to quad IPAs. Produces strong grapefruit character in the foreground with subtle undertones of pineapple and apricot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Beard Droid    29

HI Derren,

I have used Fortnight before in the Dry Hop and absolutely loved the results. I'm guessing there's SImcoe in there, and some of the 'Big C's'.

There's another 'Hop Blend' called Zythos which I use a lot because you get massive Pineapple notes from it, you should keep an eye out for it.

Let us know how the Lighthouse turns out, it should be a cracker!!

dcm    69

Mmm...  Where does one find "FortNight" hops and what kind of dose?  I'd love to hear how that works out.

With my 'droid down -  I'm consoling myself making a Torpedo IPA clone 'old school' (read: 'mess everywhere, every kitchen utensil dirty, stove top covered in sticky wort and wife unhappy').  It's definitely a lot easier using the 'droid.

Derren Green    41

Hello All,

Just had a couple of the Lighthouse with the Fortnight hops.  It was dry hopped for about 36 hours (25g) and I'm pretty impressed.  Nice characters in the aroma.  Worth the experiment.  I probably still personally prefer the citra/galaxy mix of past attempts but its a great blend none the less.

DCM - I got it at my local home brew store.  It was in the fridge with all the other hops.