500ml Swing top bottles - how many pills

Hello Community,

Not yet having the ability to justify a BeerFlo, I want to bottle my brews into 500ml swing top bottles.  The carbonation drops are aimed at a 375ml bottle, or you put 2 in a 750ml.  Should I start cutting pills in half so that I put 1 1/2 pills in a 500ml or would a single one do the trick?

All comments appreciated.

• Upvote 3

I would be careful with putting too many carbonation drops in a glass bottle as they can explode if they are over carbonated.

It would be safer to just use the one carbonation drop since this is what is used for 375ml bottles which is only just slightly less than 500ml and the beer should still be carbonated enough.

• Upvote 1

I've got a small handful of 500 ml bottles which I've been bottling into (most of my bottles are 750 ml swing-tops).

With the 750 ml bottles I use two carb drops, but with the 500 ml bottles I was worried that 1 drop (3g of sugar) would be too little, so I read a suggestion somewhere to use one teaspoon (roughly 4 or 5g depending on your measurement) of caster sugar.

I think carbonation is largely subjective, but I've found one teaspoon of the caster sugar has turned out great on the two brews I've done using the 500ml bottles. I know it's a little more hassle than just dropping a couple of drops in, but I'd rather not risk exploded bottles (or under carbonated beer).

Ian

• 3 years later...
On 13/02/2017 at 6:10 AM, Derren Green said:

I am going to grab a syringe (no needle) from the chemist and use and measure out the keg primer liquid, save wasting it.  4ml per 500ml bottle.  Thanks for the math Duffman.  Aztec Cerveza will be the Guinea pig.  Will let you know how it goes.

Love the community feedback.  Thanks All.

How did you go?

On 27/05/2020 at 8:02 PM, Clayton Angel said:

How did you go?

Hi Clayton, Mark here. Probably won’t get an answer to that, post over 3 years old 🤭. Your enquire about the sugar drops is 1 per 500ml not likely to explode (unless faulty bottle) as 1 is used for 375ml bottles. When I used to bottle 1 was the go.

Cheers

Ps 4ml of the liquid per bottle calculates correct so don’t see a problem.

Edited by Barrelboy

Hey Clayton, welcome onboard . I agree with the sentiment of Mark and Rob for 1 drop being sufficient. I think the 4ml of primers sounded too painful though 😅, i have gone down the route if using dextrose in my second fermentation and having great results. I just bought a measure for a few bucks , and i have 5 bucks worth of dextrose which has done a dozen brews and i am about half way though ( an old homebrewer where i live just uses white sugar and also has great results ) , so value for money is a win . 

Screenshot_20200529-084909_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

Hi Clayton, Mark here. Probably won’t get an answer to that, post over 3 years old 🤭. Your enquire about the sugar drops is 1 per 500ml not likely to explode (unless faulty bottle) as 1 is used for 375ml bottles. When I used to bottle 1 was the go.

Cheers

Ps 4ml of the liquid per bottle calculates correct so don’t see a problem.

I do like bringing a thread back from the dead!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Clayton Angel said:

@Rob Courtney have you had any explode with 1 drop?

No.

I must admit, I was worried about bottles exploding as i am now bottle capping crown seals on long necks and stubbies but the only issue I have had was one long neck breaking a day after bottling some beer. That would have had more to do with handling and transit than being a bottle bomb. Nowadays all I do is bottle, leave them out for a couple of days, then pack them in a carton. I drink the bottles anywhere between 4 - 16 weeks so, I don't think there is much issue there.

I do like the Grolsch bottles though, I am a bit narky that I never kept the ones I used to drink as they seem to have lasted quite well. If I do bu a beer again, I will make sure it's a Grolsch swingtop :)

• 2 months later...