Beer Drinking Glasses

So in Adelaide on the weekend and grabbed a couple of beer glasses. I have had this one a few times in restaurants so saw it and bought it. Spent Sunday night at a curry house in North Adelaide, liked the curry so much, I ordered a take away of the other I was wanting to have. So tonight, I heated it back up ( nothing better than a curry 2-3 days in the fridge) a Balti, my favourite curry and christined the glass with Czech Pilsner, nearly 5 weeks. Curry was exceptional, just exceptional, beer was good until the last one, that seemed to have progressed better than the other two...delicious.

Am I regretting not putting more beer in the fridge...yes

Will I regrest it tomorrow...not so much :)

IMG20201006190334.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I reckon quantity over quality.   

smaller volume thick glass so beer is still cold when you get to the bottom.  

BUT then she’s gotta empty the freezer of all the non-beer-glass (aka non essential) rubbish food in the freezeer.  

another domestic on the horizon 🤣

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, J P said:

I reckon quantity over quality.   

smaller volume thick glass so beer is still cold when you get to the bottom.  

BUT then she’s gotta empty the freezer of all the non-beer-glass (aka non essential) rubbish food in the freezeer.  

another domestic on the horizon 🤣

But not all beers are meant to be ice cold. Stouts, Porters and some ales are better around in mid 40f. For instance Newcastle Brown Ale suggested is in the 50fs. So different glasses for different beers are a must 😃

Alan

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, J P said:

Alan is this what you were referring to?? 🤗

22CD9309-14B4-4F1F-B784-56C155D207B3.jpeg

To be honest I don’t follow those serving temperature statements and I don’t think many here in Australia do. For the home brewer there would not be many set ups the could easily accomodate such temperature variations.

All my beers are poured at under 4C however warming in the glass would make general consumption in the 4 to 7C range. IPA’s etc at 12-14C, no thanks. I will admit an Imperial Stout is at its best up there at 14C+.

5 hours ago, J P said:

OK.  Next level.  

Nucleated glasses.  

glasses with laser etched inner surface usually on the bottom to act as a catalyst to encourage bubble formation and therefore head regeneration... 

I am officially in awe!

I think the “Headmaster” glasses are of that technique. Does it really work?

@J P Yes precisely. I don't quite follow those rules but will take a screen capture for the future. 🙂

I do love lagers ice cold, Pale ales cold but not warm, Stouts/porters can sit on the counter for an a hour after taking from the fridge.

I have just learned that some beer as simply better a tad warmer than ice cold.

~alan

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

I think the “Headmaster” glasses are of that technique. Does it really work?

Sweet name for specialty glasses.  

apparently works 

why not just get down to it an scratch the hell out of the bottom of a beer glass with a metal utensil to see?   I’ll sacrifice a glass.... 🙂

4 hours ago, Alan Batchelor said:

@J P Yes precisely. I don't quite follow those rules but will take a screen capture for the future. 🙂

I do love lagers ice cold, Pale ales cold but not warm, Stouts/porters can sit on the counter for an a hour after taking from the fridge.

I have just learned that some beer as simply better a tad warmer than ice cold.

~alan

It’s going to take some convincing on my end as I love ice cold beer.  Granted I know there’s less “nose” and action happening as the beer gets colder.   

Anyways I’m taking an online Beer course and have posted some fun stuff of what I’ve learned to spark some discussion and fun.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, J P said:

OK.  Next level.  

Nucleated glasses.  

glasses with laser etched inner surface usually on the bottom to act as a catalyst to encourage bubble formation and therefore head regeneration... 

I am officially in awe!

Lots of craft beer nerds will tell you that nucleated glasses are bad and make your beer go flat quickly. Personally I've never had that problem and I love my headmaster pint (SA/American pint) glasses. 

I think there's nothing better than pulling a cold beer from the Brewflo into a pub style glass at home after a long day and even topping it up when you get down to half way ... they won't do that at the pub. 😃

Around 90 cents each at a commercial catering shop. Almost indestructible too; unlike my Spiegelau and Riedel beer glasses that I love but make me nervous each time I use them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Got three of these from Western Australia, $60 delivered. Just couldn’t help myself, 562ml with the logo etching in the bottom like the “Headmaster” glasses.

I just can believe the difference glasses can make to the taste etc of particular brews.

05A32825-8341-4E65-B375-619E87F90D12.thumb.jpeg.6a052f5c72169b54fb1f05b23ba15c9e.jpeg

Nice

1 hour ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

I wanted a tulip glass, the Duvel. The Leffe long stem was a bonus so killed 2 birds with one stone. They are both at least 4 x the price on Ebay

Just bought these two bad boys on Marketplace  for $15. I think I will go home now

IPA Glasses.jpg

Edited by Eltham Brewing House
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Eltham Brewing House said:

Just bought these two bad boys on Marketplace  for $15. I think I will go home now

IPA Glasses.jpg

Is that all my MIL spent on me last Christmas!!!! 🤬😉

As @Captain 3 Droids said it's amazing how the glass affects the taste of the beer. An IPA out of one of those versus a standard schooner/pint glass is a completely different taste experience.

• Upvote 2