Jump to content

Beer Drinking Glasses


Captain 3 Droids
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Is that all my MIL spent on me last Christmas!!!! 🤬😉

As @Captain 3 Droids said it's amazing how the glass affects the taste of the beer. An IPA out of one of those versus a standard schooner/pint glass is a completely different taste experience.

Meh, it doesn't matter how much she spent, it matters that she got the right thing...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Is that all my MIL spent on me last Christmas!!!! 🤬😉

As @Captain 3 Droids said it's amazing how the glass affects the taste of the beer. An IPA out of one of those versus a standard schooner/pint glass is a completely different taste experience.

I hate to cruel it but its how our brains have evolved to work to our benefit. When basic needs like food or drinks are attractively presented then your brain tricks you into believing it tastes better than it would be if presented in a more banal way. Isn't nature wonderful?

Edited by Eltham Brewing House
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno mate . Have you ever had a bad casserole lol, hardly elegant in design. I do think all the senses work in unison, and some of the style of glasses do lend them to each other. It is even more apparent in whisky . The nose between a Tumbler and a Glencairn is vast. And i do think the IPA glasses work in a similar fashion if compared to a pint glass. Just concentrates the aromas and the way it drinks helps the mouthfeel. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul84 said:

I dunno mate . Have you ever had a bad casserole lol, hardly elegant in design. I do think all the senses work in unison, and some of the style of glasses do lend them to each other. It is even more apparent in whisky . The nose between a Tumbler and a Glencairn is vast. And i do think the IPA glasses work in a similar fashion if compared to a pint glass. Just concentrates the aromas and the way it drinks helps the mouthfeel. 

Yeah I tend to agree with this. 

The IPA glass works something like a brandy balloon and allows you to pour a big frothy head to release the aromas into the airspace between the liquid and rim. When you stick your nose in that space as you take a sip you get those aromas delivered right up your snout.

Up to 80% of what we know as taste is actually smell.

Edited by Dustin Frothman
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

Yeah I tend to agree with this. 

The IPA glass works something like a brandy balloon and allows you to pour a big frothy head to release the aromas into the airspace between the liquid and rim. When you stick your nose in that space as you take a sip you get those aromas delivered right up your snout.

Up to 80% of what we know as taste is actually smell.

I believe if there was no difference the beer would taste the same out of a plastic mug, or those “things” they serve beer in at the footy or outdoor events. Both of which the beer tastes crap and the head lasts about 2 minutes. 
An English Bitter in my normal pint glass is great but out of a dimple mug, just exceptional. Yet a lager out of a dimple mug is no Match to the Stella “balloon” type glass. Sorry no false senses working here.

Cheers

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

5C4C0E34-6A3C-4F5D-BD6B-F8FDF83FB034.thumb.jpeg.9d5a52619a27f283bb7e888ada302d52.jpeg

Thought I best do my new favourite Brewprint the Revolution Dark Lager justice with a Lager Glass.

No noticeable effect on the taste but it looks nice.

To be honest I don’t think I like that glass, but that’s me. However the lager looks great. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

To be honest I don’t think I like that glass, but that’s me. However the lager looks great. 

 

E068D831-03A5-40E2-8D99-7807B57CF852.thumb.jpeg.ec34ff5d4722509a80a9f94a49e0ee09.jpeg

They were in the cupboard and I doubt I’d ever really used them before today.

I seem to be getting some incredibly good pours out of the Brewflo with them. Not sure if it’s the beer, the new solid primer bricks or the glass.

Either way I love the beer and will brew this one regularly. Unfortunately as usual the wife likes it too ...

It even makes watching your Crows do a number on the Cats more enjoyable. 🤭

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dustin Frothman said:

E068D831-03A5-40E2-8D99-7807B57CF852.thumb.jpeg.ec34ff5d4722509a80a9f94a49e0ee09.jpeg

They were in the cupboard and I doubt I’d ever really used them before today.

I seem to be getting some incredibly good pours out of the Brewflo with them. Not sure if it’s the beer, the new solid primer bricks or the glass.

Either way I love the beer and will brew this one regularly. Unfortunately as usual the wife likes it too ...

It even makes watching your Crows do a number on the Cats more enjoyable. 🤭

Good points, now you love one needs her own Droid!!! I know, no room, we’ll piss the washing machine off and use the laundry mat? Microwave off, throw hershoes out, etc etc 😂😂😂. Dustin I’m here to help you.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Captain 3 Droids said:

Good points, now you love one needs her own Droid!!! I know, no room, we’ll piss the washing machine off and use the laundry mat? Microwave off, throw hershoes out, etc etc 😂😂😂. Dustin I’m here to help you.

We’re bidding on a new house tomorrow ...

🥵

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
  • Create New...