Custom Brewprints

Banjo

So I am thinking about trying out creating a custom recipe using just the brewprint ingredients.  I was looking for inspiration and came across a Coopers recipe of the month from late last year, the Trappist Coaster Belgian IPA.  Having a good look at the brewprint ingredients I think I might try out:

2 x E1

2 x E5

2 x X2

1 x H2 and 1 x H4 added to the droid

Y6

Thoughts?

• Upvote 4

The hops will be the hardest to match up as the original recipe uses hops with an alpha acid of around 12%. The H4 is alot lower.

Here is a link I posted on the 'Additional Hops' thread, that may (or may not) help pin down something closer.

http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/libraries/resources/pdfs/4.1 Hop Substitution Chart.pdf

Regardless, I find your proposal to be very exciting and applaud the creativity. Cant wait for a review on the finished result.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Gibbo said:

The hops will be the hardest to match up as the original recipe uses hops with an alpha acid of around 12%. The H4 is alot lower.

Here is a link I posted on the 'Additional Hops' thread, that may (or may not) help pin down something closer.

http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/libraries/resources/pdfs/4.1 Hop Substitution Chart.pdf

Regardless, I find your proposal to be very exciting and applaud the creativity. Cant wait for a review on the finished result.

How did you work out the alpha acid level for H4 Gibbo?

• Upvote 1

On 05/04/2017 at 7:44 AM, Duffman said:

How did you work out the alpha acid level for H4 Gibbo?

Deeks has put some work in and figured out H4 should be Saaz.

Saaz is usually between 3% and 5%. Alpha acid is one measure, but also there is a need to pay attention the esters too.

I havent had time to look deeper into the Brewprint hops and their possible substitutions and it may be that Banjo is as near as it gets.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just kegged the previous batch and now the Trappist IPA is in the droid, i used the yeast guidelines and went 22c propagate, 20c ferment, i will stick with the two hop sachets for now but they will go in after fermentation is completed.

• 3 years later...

So it seems for “Sours” it’s a whole different animal.   

Traditionalists use yeast AND lactobacillus and some use even other bacteria.   

a quick cheat is adding lactic acid liquid 5-10 mL per batch (tasting small sample first)

Where there’s a will there’s a way...

6 hours ago, J P said:

a quick cheat is adding lactic acid liquid 5-10 mL per batch (tasting small sample first)

I’m not into sours and not sure whether there is a suitable “kit” type clone about that would represent a decent sour. Sorry not much help at this stage.

• Thanks 1

On 03/04/2017 at 5:48 PM, Banjo said:

So I am thinking about trying out creating a custom recipe using just the brewprint ingredients.  I was looking for inspiration and came across a Coopers recipe of the month from late last year, the Trappist Coaster Belgian IPA.  Having a good look at the brewprint ingredients I think I might try out:

2 x E1

2 x E5

2 x X2

1 x H2 and 1 x H4 added to the droid

Y6

Thoughts?

How’d it work out?

• 1 month later...
On 06/02/2021 at 9:08 PM, J P said:

On 12/03/2021 at 9:36 AM, Paul84 said:

Very keen to see how this one goes mate. I have my moments with sours and wouldnt mind trying to make one 🤘🤘🤘

It’s awesome.   If you like sours.   I would consider adding 15mL to one keg and 20 mL to the other and see what you reckon.   I soured a single keg of preachers HEFE (coopers can) just as a trial and had a mate come round and he reckons it was perfect.    We both thought dropping the acid just slightly could allow it to be more sessionable BUT it was just fine as is.    Might do a bit of homework on which beer is best soured (I wouldn’t normally sour a HEFE)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 06/02/2021 at 8:30 AM, J P said:

i would be super keen to try to recreate a gose  and a southwest sour

fantastic summer drinks 

i have no idea where to even start

8C4179D0-AE31-4D2E-AB20-BDEEAE56DF42.jpeg

6FB589B8-D185-4F85-A8B2-825ED6E434BA.jpeg

So.  I’ve brewed Coopers Preachers Hefe as a base and added 20 mL of lactic a acid.  I’ve just tasted them side by side.  The Colonial is decidedly more hops forward in nose and aftertaste (the can  says “tropical hops from both hemispheres”) my version is more sour (I reckon 15-17 mL per 5L keg would match about right) and I’d have selected a hoppier base or dry hopped or something to get a closer match. 

id happily take on suggestions for my next version.   

Edited by J P
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’ve had a look at the Australian Premium Lager recipe and reviews and thought this would be a good one to play a bit with. So I’ve done the following:-

E1, E5 per recipe, 3 x X1 substituted with 750g of purchased light dry malt extract, used Y8 yeast rather than Y9, will disregard recipe 2 x H5 (Hersbrucker) and will instead dry hop on day 6 with 15g each of Saaz, Columbus and Centennial.

Should be interesting 🤭🤫

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2021 at 9:42 AM, Captain 3 Droids said:

I’ve had a look at the Australian Premium Lager recipe and reviews and thought this would be a good one to play a bit with. So I’ve done the following:-

E1, E5 per recipe, 3 x X1 substituted with 750g of purchased light dry malt extract, used Y8 yeast rather than Y9, will disregard recipe 2 x H5 (Hersbrucker) and will instead dry hop on day 6 with 15g each of Saaz, Columbus and Centennial.

Should be interesting 🤭🤫

Kegged today, 10days to EOF and held over for 24hrs. The hop aroma was exceptional, can’t wait to consume.