Sign in to follow this  
Banjo

Custom Brewprints

Banjo    66

So I am thinking about trying out creating a custom recipe using just the brewprint ingredients.  I was looking for inspiration and came across a Coopers recipe of the month from late last year, the Trappist Coaster Belgian IPA.  Having a good look at the brewprint ingredients I think I might try out:

2 x E1

2 x E5

2 x X2

1 x H2 and 1 x H4 added to the droid

Y6

Thoughts?

• Upvote 4

Deeks    140

That sounds like a nice beer to try brewing and those ingredients sound about right.

I will be interested to see how it turns out for you.

• Upvote 1

Gibbo    105

The hops will be the hardest to match up as the original recipe uses hops with an alpha acid of around 12%. The H4 is alot lower.

Here is a link I posted on the 'Additional Hops' thread, that may (or may not) help pin down something closer.

http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/libraries/resources/pdfs/4.1 Hop Substitution Chart.pdf

Regardless, I find your proposal to be very exciting and applaud the creativity. Cant wait for a review on the finished result.

• Upvote 3

Duffman    105
12 hours ago, Gibbo said:

The hops will be the hardest to match up as the original recipe uses hops with an alpha acid of around 12%. The H4 is alot lower.

Here is a link I posted on the 'Additional Hops' thread, that may (or may not) help pin down something closer.

http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/libraries/resources/pdfs/4.1 Hop Substitution Chart.pdf

Regardless, I find your proposal to be very exciting and applaud the creativity. Cant wait for a review on the finished result.

How did you work out the alpha acid level for H4 Gibbo?

• Upvote 1

Banjo    66

Yes the hops are a hard one to match, for starters I don't think Brewart has a Nelson style hop at all.   Hmmmm, maybe a third Hop sachet might help...

• Upvote 3

Duffman    105

I've had success throwing a bag of Cascade pellets into my American Pale Ale. It tastes similar but has more nose. I'm going to try throwing Amarillo into my West Coast Pale Ale next.

• Upvote 2

Gibbo    105
On 05/04/2017 at 7:44 AM, Duffman said:

How did you work out the alpha acid level for H4 Gibbo?

Deeks has put some work in and figured out H4 should be Saaz.

Saaz is usually between 3% and 5%. Alpha acid is one measure, but also there is a need to pay attention the esters too.

I havent had time to look deeper into the Brewprint hops and their possible substitutions and it may be that Banjo is as near as it gets.

• Upvote 1

Banjo    66

Ok, just kegged the previous batch and now the Trappist IPA is in the droid, i used the yeast guidelines and went 22c propagate, 20c ferment, i will stick with the two hop sachets for now but they will go in after fermentation is completed.