Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

25 minutes ago, Rennce said:

I will certainly post back about my success (or not)... just got a message from my droid to say my London Own Ale is ready to keg/bottle so will do that tomorrow and then whack the experiment on.

Thanks. Great, your First brew. 1) Did you dry hop the H7 2) Are you using sugar tabs for the bottles?

Sorry to be mosey but checking your on the right track.

9 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Thanks. Great, your First brew. 1) Did you dry hop the H7 2) Are you using sugar tabs for the bottles?

Sorry to be mosey but checking your on the right track.

Hi Mark, all good as I dont mind you asking. I Added the hops a few minutes ago and yes I will be using the BrewArt sugar tablets in the bottles. Bottling into grolsch style swing cap glass bottles rather than the plastic. I did a taste test and it was fine - bit like flat ale which is to be expected, but certainly no off flavours. Cheers Terry

• Upvote 1

Re adding (or not) DME or other sugars to the canned extract, I checked a can of Mr Beer Winter Ale I have and the instructions don’t require anything added for a brew that is +6% abv. Bit confused now, unless their extract is “fortified” with extra sugars/fermentables. Any thoughts?

2 minutes ago, Rennce said:

Re adding (or not) DME or other sugars to the canned extract, I checked a can of Mr Beer Winter Ale I have and the instructions don’t require anything added for a brew that is +6% abv. Bit confused now, unless their extract is “fortified” with extra sugars/fermentables. Any thoughts?

You are correct. The Mr Beer series are concentrated brews. Whilst other Mr Beer can call for malt additions the Winter Ale doesn’t and the required fermentation sugars are in the tin. Mr Beer are 8.5l recipes so no problems with the 10 litres will just drop alcohol % a bit.

It can get confusing at first however it’s just different recipes/different products. 

3 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

I note that all the Mr Beer tins now don’t call for any malts as the base recipe. However strong brew recipes are available in the Coopers recipe site. (Eg the American Rebel Amber Ale). So yes you can just do all the tin on there own.

cheers Mark

I shall water down my mr beer to lower the abv and see how it turns out. I doubt I will regularly buy them as whilst the tin size is perfect for the droid, they cost pretty much the same as the larger Coopers cans (for half the beer). I note also that mr beer cans are made by Coopers as well. 

15 minutes ago, Rennce said:

I shall water down my mr beer to lower the abv and see how it turns out. I doubt I will regularly buy them as whilst the tin size is perfect for the droid, they cost pretty much the same as the larger Coopers cans (for half the beer). I note also that mr beer cans are made by Coopers as well. 

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed and the larger tins are of better value. Have you joined the Coopers club for 10% and monthly free deliver of either above $80 or $100 purchases. (Not on Brewprint packs or ingredients)

4 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed and the larger tins are of better value. Have you joined the Coopers club for 10% and monthly free deliver of either above $80 or $100 purchases. (Not on Brewprint packs or ingredients)

No not joined the club as yet but sounds like it will be worth it given the discount and free delivery offer...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barrelboy said:

I bottled the London”s Own Ale after a few equipment hiccups (mental note to buy the droid bottling kit) and it is in storage now at around 16c (perhaps a little cool). I didn’t have time to play about with the extract cans so ended up putting the California steam on instead - which will also be handy to keg. Extract will be next...

45 minutes ago, Barrelboy said:

Your well on the way now. Don’t let the kegs get much cooler as carbonation will slow if not stop. Wrap a towel or cover with a t-shirt. 18 to 20C is ideal.

I shall move them to the heater room next door as that is around 20c I am guessing. Can’t do it till Friday now so hopefully all will be ok. 

• Upvote 1

On 05/08/2019 at 6:36 AM, Barrelboy said:

Your well on the way now. Don’t let the kegs get much cooler as carbonation will slow if not stop. Wrap a towel or cover with a t-shirt. 18 to 20C is ideal.

Moved the bottled brew to warmer room - currently sitting at 19.2c.

• Upvote 1

On 05/08/2019 at 6:36 AM, Barrelboy said:

My California Steam Ale  was ready for kegging and I completed that yesterday.  It was a bit or trial and error setting up the brewart kegs and liners but I think I mostly succeeded (but wont know until a taste test in a months time).  Cleaning out the droid and I removed the tap and the red seal had partially disintegrated already, so very thankful that Liam had sent me a new one. I have put an Aztec on now, so delayed the trying of canned extract a bit longer....

• Upvote 1

On 12/08/2019 at 9:46 AM, Barrelboy said:

No hurry. The Aztec has two good reviews, both indicate summer and lemon. Will probably give it a go for Xmas consumption. All seems good with the kegging.

Yeah the Aztec is fine...not my go to beer but it is a good representation of Corona. Drinking one now and strangely enough, probably prefer it without lemon

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to trying a can of extract in the droid. Went with a MrBeer Winter Dark Ale (picked up for $10 at the brew shop). After a messy tin opening the rest of the process went ok. Set fermentation to 21c as per can instructions... supposed to make 8.5l but I added 10l so that should drop the abv down a bit from 5.5% which is fine by me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrelboy said:

10l will be fine. For propagation 21C is fine however for fermentation I’d set it for 18C? If you used the Ale mode then all is fine.

Hi Mark, I set fermentation to 21c as per can instructions which did seem high when I compared it with similar brewprints. Do you think I should drop it to 18c? Cheers Terry