Brewing using Coopers cans?

Brendan Ashe

23 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Yeah just still that sort of "vegemite" flavour to it. Has obviously mellowed but it isn't what I search for in a beer.

I  saying that, am trying a Tommy boy Pilsner, it's less offensive but yeah, prefer the Brewprints. I mean at a pinch, the Tommy Boy with the hop teas is something you'd be OK brewing again if you still had stock of it, the Crown...I'd only brew it again to see if I had done something wrong the first time

Regarding the “vegemite” flavour, found this on the net:-

“Yeasty Off Flavors in Beer

Yeasty off flavors can appear bready, yeasty, doughy, or be the flavor of a Vegemite sandwich. Most brewers are familiar with this “green beer” flavor having tasted their beer when it is still young. Those who have sampled Hefeweizen which is served with the yeast also have some idea of the flavor of yeasty beer.

Not surprisingly the main cause of yeasty beer is simply that the beer is too young. Beer goes through changes as it matures including the mopping up of off flavors like diacetyl and also a critical process called flocculation where the yeast slowly falls out of the beer.

Flocculation occurs at different rates depending on the beer and also the yeast strain used. You can, in fact, look up the flocculation rate for the yeast strain you are using by referring to the yeast data sheet. Yeast strains with high flocculation rates will usually clear much more quickly than those with slow rates. Some strains also produce more yeasty character than others.

The main mitigation for yeasty beer is simply time. Certain yeast strains as well as lagers take additional time to flocculate and clear, so you need to account for the extra time needed before bottling or kegging your beer. A simple way to do this is to sample the beer periodically until the young “yeasty” flavor fades before packaging it.

A second source of yeast in naturally bottled beer as well is kegs is the sediment at the bottom of the keg or bottle. When pouring from a bottle, avoid disturbing or pouring out the sediment. For kegs you may need to discard a few pints until the sediment is pushed out.”  

Tends to explain things. So should improve over time?

• Thanks 1

On 09/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, Barrelboy said:

Just put down a “Hop Slam” IPA.

1/2 tin Coopers Brew A IPA, 250g ldme, 50g cracked caramel grain & 10g Amarillo hop pellets both steeped for 20min, Y1 yeast.

On day 6 of fermentation will dry hop 10g of galaxy and 10g of mosaic.

Should be a nice drop (I hop 🤔)

Keg this today (19/11/19) and have now put down a Cog Work IPA clone

1/2 tin Thomas Cooper Bootmaker PA

250g LDME

250g dry amber malt

Steep 20min (just boiled water) 100g cracked crystal malt and 12.5g Amarillo hop pellets

Y1 yeast

after 6 days will dry hop 12.5g of citra and same of centennial hop pellets.

Should turn out well, hope so👍

Edited by Barrelboy

On 12/11/2019 at 6:09 PM, Barrelboy said:

I vacuum seal in a bag and put in the fridge until needed however prior to this I just used an extra large zip lock seal bag, hose freezer bag type from supermarkets. They work well. (The plastic lid I got off a tin of Kimbo coffee however glad wrap and a rubber band is just as good.)81CB1E59-8691-4388-B01A-F5F3C7A1F3DD.thumb.jpeg.01ebb2faaed609f6a20ce23860e02f82.jpeg

General tin query for the gents:

How long do you tend to keep the remaining tin halves like this?

i.e. do you use them in back to back brewings or can you store them like this in the fridge for a while?

I also halved a 12g hop pellets pack but based on what others are doing I have probably gone too light on. Remaining 6g is back in the foil packet and kept refrigerated in a zip lock sandwich bag.

Cheers 🍺

42 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

General tin query for the gents:

How long do you tend to keep the remaining tin halves like this?

i.e. do you use them in back to back brewings or can you store them like this in the fridge for a while?

I also halved a 12g hop pellets pack but based on what others are doing I have probably gone too light on. Remaining 6g is back in the foil packet and kept refrigerated in a zip lock sandwich bag.

Cheers 🍺

Yes hops in the fridge and the 1/2 tins I keep until the droid is ready again, so can be 7 to 14 days. At the moment as I want to catch up on storage stocks I’m making up a 22l brew (full tin etc) and splitting between the droid 10l and a 12l plastic fermenter. This fermenter is 15l in volume for 12l brews. Once caught up I’ll go back to 1/2 brews again.

You have placed yourself on the Members Map and that’s fine however where are you roughly?

On 09/11/2019 at 9:33 AM, Barrelboy said:

Just put down a “Hop Slam” IPA.

1/2 tin Coopers Brew A IPA, 250g ldme, 50g cracked caramel grain & 10g Amarillo hop pellets both steeped for 20min, Y1 yeast.

On day 6 of fermentation will dry hop 10g of galaxy and 10g of mosaic.

Should be a nice drop (I hop 🤔)

Well this has turned out a ripper. Kegged this 10 days ago, so nice fresh. It’s hoppy, fruity, citrusy, sweetish with a tangy slightly bitter after taste. A goody for hop fans. For me just the right amounts.EC31F16D-64FE-48A3-922B-BE84FDFAA140.thumb.jpeg.ac92f04aafdcd45b79ab73da0afee4b7.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.d2271ced58d3317c58a27e66835591a9.jpg

Edited by Barrelboy

On 12/11/2019 at 10:01 PM, Barrelboy said:

Regarding the “vegemite” flavour, found this on the net:-

“Yeasty Off Flavors in Beer

Yeasty off flavors can appear bready, yeasty, doughy, or be the flavor of a Vegemite sandwich. Most brewers are familiar with this “green beer” flavor having tasted their beer when it is still young. Those who have sampled Hefeweizen which is served with the yeast also have some idea of the flavor of yeasty beer.

Not surprisingly the main cause of yeasty beer is simply that the beer is too young. Beer goes through changes as it matures including the mopping up of off flavors like diacetyl and also a critical process called flocculation where the yeast slowly falls out of the beer.

Flocculation occurs at different rates depending on the beer and also the yeast strain used. You can, in fact, look up the flocculation rate for the yeast strain you are using by referring to the yeast data sheet. Yeast strains with high flocculation rates will usually clear much more quickly than those with slow rates. Some strains also produce more yeasty character than others.

The main mitigation for yeasty beer is simply time. Certain yeast strains as well as lagers take additional time to flocculate and clear, so you need to account for the extra time needed before bottling or kegging your beer. A simple way to do this is to sample the beer periodically until the young “yeasty” flavor fades before packaging it.

A second source of yeast in naturally bottled beer as well is kegs is the sediment at the bottom of the keg or bottle. When pouring from a bottle, avoid disturbing or pouring out the sediment. For kegs you may need to discard a few pints until the sediment is pushed out.”  

Tends to explain things. So should improve over time?

So, it is nearly three weeks down the track and try another.  Vegemite taste has moved on but still needs some time. This is 9 weeks now but coud see it being a good beer in  another month

On 19/11/2019 at 8:59 AM, Barrelboy said:

Keg this today (19/11/19) and have now put down a Cog Work IPA clone

1/2 tin Thomas Cooper Bootmaker PA

250g LDME

250g dry amber malt

Steep 20min (just boiled water) 100g cracked crystal malt and 12.5g Amarillo hop pellets

Y1 yeast

after 6 days will dry hop 12.5g of citra and same of centennial hop pellets.

Should turn out well, hope so👍

Kegged the Cog Work IPA am today (1/12/19) after a 12 day fermentation period. Longest I have had for fermentation in the droid. It was a slow ferment, took 24hrs to take off and just slowly fermented away. The Y1 yeast may have contributed to this however in brewing 12 days is quite acceptable. (When Brewing traditionally with plastic fermenters always left for 14 days).

The hop aroma was teasing “drink me, drink me” but I resisted. 🙉🙈🙊

• 2 weeks later...

Had a sample of my honey lager (2nd brew) which was a custom brew using 1/2 cans of Miller lager & malt extract cans, cluster hops (hop tea), raw honey and a wheat beer yeast.

Bottled 13 days in mainly 24-26 degrees, some carbonation tablets residue but still seems well carbonated (thanks to the honey I assume). Definitely taste the honey flavour, better than a Beez Neez IMO! Can't wait to give it another week or 2 and try again. Currently have the 2nd half of the cans doing another batch as we speak 😎

Edited by Darran Haynes

20 minutes ago, Darran Haynes said:

Had a sample of my honey lager (2nd brew) which was a custom brew using 1/2 cans of Miller lager & malt extract cans, cluster hops (hop tea), raw honey and a wheat beer yeast.

Bottled 13 days in mainly 24-26 degrees, some carbonation tablets residue but still seems well carbonated (thanks to the honey I assume). Definitely taste the honey flavour, better than a Beez Neez IMO! Can't wait to give it another week or 2 and try again. Currently have the 2nd half of the cans doing another batch as we speak 😎

Isn’t it great when you brew something and to you it’s better than a commercial equivalent. (and the cost difference is such a bonus).

On 01/12/2019 at 10:48 AM, Barrelboy said:

Kegged the Cog Work IPA am today (1/12/19) after a 12 day fermentation period. Longest I have had for fermentation in the droid. It was a slow ferment, took 24hrs to take off and just slowly fermented away. The Y1 yeast may have contributed to this however in brewing 12 days is quite acceptable. (When Brewing traditionally with plastic fermenters always left for 14 days).

The hop aroma was teasing “drink me, drink me” but I resisted. 🙉🙈🙊

Pouring a couple today after two weeks in the keg (carb. with co2 in ss keg). A very “I want more” IPA. It’s fruity sweetness from the crystal malt and amber malt balance well with the citrus from the steeped Amarillo hops and  finishing off with citra and centennial dry hopping. Makes this  a “better brew this again, soon” ipa. I think early drinking quite ok. 
A little bit of work doing this one but recommend doing fellow brewaholics.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rob Courtney said:

Just thinking, maybe ales and stouts are better from cans than lagers. I mean, they aren't disgusting but when you line them up against the brewprints they don't shine. Getting through the last bottles of these two and I actually mean getting through, I still have one can left but I believe that will be it

I think a Partial Grain brew like that @Barrelboy has done with the cog work IPA is the go for cans. A guy up here does partial grain brews and they come out very drinkable . Not sure i can say the same of a all extract brew lol

Edited by Paul84
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2019 at 2:05 PM, Barrelboy said:

Pouring a couple today after two weeks in the keg (carb. with co2 in ss keg). A very “I want more” IPA. It’s fruity sweetness from the crystal malt and amber malt balance well with the citrus from the steeped Amarillo hops and  finishing off with citra and centennial dry hopping. Makes this  a “better brew this again, soon” ipa. I think early drinking quite ok. 
A little bit of work doing this one but recommend doing fellow brewaholics.

Now credit must be given to the Droid, steeped grains, dry hop, just look how clear this Cog Work IPA is.

5E02B708-79DE-47AA-8891-7BA63A679DDE.thumb.jpeg.2af5439c7ddbb2651386e2648a5a6a2b.jpeg

• Upvote 1